Is Pocahontas a princess?

Discussion in 'Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music' started by sszeri, Aug 18, 2018.

?

Is Pocahontas a princess?

1. Yes

84.2%
  2. No

15.8%
  1. sszeri

sszeri Earning My Ears

Dear people! My two friends are arguing if Pocahontas is a Disney princess. Could you please solve this argument which started in 2013? I think soon it might get physical :p Thank you in advance! P.S. We are 30 y.o. and have nothing better to do in life :D

2. BrianL

BrianL Doom Buggy Driver

There are two ways of looking at this, but only one way that Disney does. First of all, Pocahontas is the daughter of a Chieftain, so while not technically referred to as a "Princess" by her own people, she is certianly analagous and the European colonists would have used that term for her. In fact, more questionable is Mulan, who was not a princess no married into royalty. Of course, they are both Disney Princesses.

When you look at this from Disney's view, "Dinsey Princess" is not so much a rank or title, but actually a brand. Many actual princesses are not "Dinsey Princesses" at all, like Kida from Atlantis, Vanelope Von Schweetz, and even Anna and Elsa. Elsa is actually a Queen, however neither of them are in the "Disney Princess" group. So, in teh end, it really has nothing to do with their actual status in their world's nobility, but really jsut the label Disney wants to place on them.

Figarro likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Helvetica

Helvetica Mouseketeer

She's in the Disney Princess product line. https://princess.disney.com/

It's kind of a weird thing. Anna and Elsa aren't in the line (yet) because Frozen sells on its own, but they're still included in Ralph 2's Disney Princess Room. Princess Eilonwy and Princess Vanellopee von Schwartz are both Princesses, but they're not in the line. It's more of a thing to sell toys.

5. AdamEfimoff

AdamEfimoff DIS Veteran

yes she is. In the Disney film

6. old lady

old lady DIS Veteran

Yes, because Disney says she is, but in Native American culture are different from European royalty.

7. AurumPunzel

AurumPunzel Mouseketeer

By analogy, yes. Even Moana can be regarded as a Princess by the same logic.

8. adelaster

adelaster DIS Veteran

Historically no. She wasn't in line to inherit and she was one of many children of Chief Powhatan.

Disneywise, I guess, at least according to Maui in Moana. I've always been a bit peeved at how they mutilated her life for the Disney film though.

9. MetalMasterC

MetalMasterC Aura of Misfortune

The whole Disney Princess line is based on the idea of inclusion. Ethnicity and representation. Nothing wrong with that. Representation is very important. I mean, Mulan isn't a Princess by any means, but she's included as one.

10. Eian

Eian Earning My Ears

Indeed she is Princess

11. Mythdon

Mythdon Earning My Ears

If Disney says she's a princess, then she's a princess. What's official is official.