Is Kona and 'Ohana fairly similar

AllieMallie

Mouseketeer
I have a newbie question. I booked ADRs for both Kona and 'Ohana for dinner during our trip. I am DETERMINED to eat at 'Ohana because it gets really good reviews but I'm having second thoughts about the Kona ADR since it appears to me that Kona and 'Ohana serves the same kind of cuisine. Now I'm thinking of finding another TS place to eat instead. Are they fairly similar in cuisine? And if we decide to switch, which place should we go? What would you suggest?

These are the rest of our ADRs:
Sanaa
Les Chefs de France
50's Prime Time Cafe.

Caveat: It can't be iniside Epcot or DHS (no park hoppers).

EDITED TO ADD: this trip will consist of dbf(27) and me (28) and we have fairly adventurous palates so we're open to anything.
Thank you ;)

I think they're different enough to go to both on the same trip. We have in the past, and we felt like we had a totally different experience both with food and atmosphere. We LOVED 'Ohana, and we really liked Kona. I think you'll enjoy both.

We are not the norm. We are not huge fans of 'Ohana - but we absolutely love Kona. We have never had a bad meal there!

I personally wouldnt do both on the same trip since there are so many other restaurants to choose from at disney. Look at both menus and see what appeals to you more. I love kona breakfast, but the menu for lunch/dinner doesnt really appeal to me.

We've done both in one trip. They are definitely different enough in food and definitely different in the atmosphere.

All depends on what u want. Kona is a nice restaurant. Ohana is a circus.

I would not give up my Ohana ADR either. It is a special experience and the food (especially the side dishes and dessert) is great.

We love the menu at Kona Cafe and have had great meals there up until 2010 and 2011. We did not like the food at Kona during our two most recent trips. It tasted bad both times. I am not sure if we were just unlucky or what happened, but it was very disappointing, especially since the food at Ohanas has been so good.

For that reason, I would try something different than Kona Cafe. Also, the food at Kona is similar in style to Ohana. I believe they even share the same kitchen.

If you do not mind travelling to Downtown Disney, we have had excellent meals at Wolfgang Puck's Cafe at Downtown Disney Westside. We also love the Flying Fish Cafe on Disney's Boardwalk. I love the Hoop Dee Doo Revue at Fort Wilderness, too. The show is corny, but the food is good and it is such a fun evening. We always leave smiling with big goofy grins on our faces.

'OHana and Kona are 2 totally different experiences. 'OHana is all you care to eat seasoned meat/shrimp skewars with sides served family style. There is no choice as to what you order. It is loud and has lots of families, with entertainment for the kids. Some tables have views across the lagoon to the Castle in the MK
Kona is a sit down restaurant where everyone orders their own meal from a menu. It is a bit more subdued, but not quiet. There are no views from Kona.
I think they are different enough that you can do both in the same trip.
As a PP stated there are so many choices in WDW that you might want to try a second restaurant other than at the Poly.
But if you are staying there, or just want to eat at these two restaurants, you will be fine.
Have fun

Thank you all! I overhauled all my ADRs today so that we could take advantage of a couple of EMHs in a couple of the parks. I ended up dropping Kona and replacing it with Via Napoli. Very different, I know but we figured we had to try other flavors too. :thumbsup2

So now I have:
'Ohana
Sanaa
Chefs de France
50's Prime Time Cafe
Via Napoli.

Hopefully, this is the final draft. But knowing me, it probably won't be. :rotfl2:

I agree with thte other posters about how they are just kinda similar but with both being at the Poly & might drop kona and maybe try the Wave at CR or Cape May Buffet at BC. If you were wanting to try a Signature place maybe Flying Fish or Artist Point.

kae

Thank you all! I overhauled all my ADRs today so that we could take advantage of a couple of EMHs in a couple of the parks. I ended up dropping Kona and replacing it with Via Napoli. Very different, I know but we figured we had to try other flavors too. :thumbsup2

So now I have:
'Ohana
Sanaa
Chefs de France
50's Prime Time Cafe
Via Napoli.

Hopefully, this is the final draft. But knowing me, it probably won't be. :rotfl2:

I think this is a super decision. Your ADR choices look GREAT!

For that reason, I would try something different than Kona Cafe. Also, the food at Kona is similar in style to Ohana. I believe they even share the same kitchen.

Kona and Ohana do not share a kitchen, they each have their own kitchen. they don't have the same food although they both serve potstickers and wings they are different recipies.

Just a FYI :)

Kona and Ohana do not share a kitchen, they each have their own kitchen. they don't have the same food although they both serve potstickers and wings they are different recipies.

Just a FYI :)

Are you sure they do not share the same kitchen space? I realize that they each have their own recipes, etc. For instance, I believe the potstickers at Ohana are pork and the ones at Kona are duck (and Kona's are much better in my opinion), but I really thought they shared the same kitchen. I am surprised, as I thought I had heard that from multiple sources. Sometimes misinformation gets passed around, though, as in what I shared. Sorry!

I appreciate the new information. It's good to know! Thanks, mom2of2!

I feel they are. I have ressies for Ohana so I decided against Kona. I just felt it was too similar. However, I also have a ressie for Spirit of Aloha so 3 nights of Polynesian style food seemed like way too much.I am even questioning if the Ohana and SOA are too similar and too much.

Kona and Ohana are not the same. We didn't like Ohana but love Kona. We have dinner there booked twice next week and plan to eat there one day for breakfast.

Are you sure they do not share the same kitchen space? I realize that they each have their own recipes, etc. For instance, I believe the potstickers at Ohana are pork and the ones at Kona are duck (and Kona's are much better in my opinion), but I really thought they shared the same kitchen. I am surprised, as I thought I had heard that from multiple sources. Sometimes misinformation gets passed around, though, as in what I shared. Sorry!

I appreciate the new information. It's good to know! Thanks, mom2of2!

even if they did share the same kitchen, they have to have different cooks. The pot stickers in Ohana were not good, the ones at Kona were great, as is everything else at Kona. Love their sushi too, which is not the same cooks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter