Is it possible to get a decent car for under $200 (lease) with ZERO money down???

busy mom

Mouseketeer
My DD is looking for something to get her to/from school, but I want her to get something safe. She can afford $200 per month for a lease.

Can anyone afford a decent vehicle that we can check out???

I got a 2017 Altima about a year ago for $79 a month with $1500 down. $500 of that was a new grad credit, so only $1000 out of pocket. The lease is for 36 months so that works out to under $200 a month. They also had a Sentra for cheaper, but I went for the bigger car. I had to call multiple dealers and have them beat the other.

Honestly, there isn't a car out there that I would deem un-safe anymore, your thinking should change from safe to reliable, what I would rather be looking for is reviews on drive train and transmission. I know Hyaundais used to have brutal transmissions but about 5 years ago they fixed that and I would have no issue driving one now. With all of the mandatory safety tests that cars have to go through just to be able to make it into production and the level of mandatory safety options in cars has grown. There was also a huge air bag recall because a certain brand of air bags were hurting and even lead to some deaths and they were installed in a lot of what the average person would have deemed a "safe" car.

$200/month with nothing down would be stretching it to find anything at all.

Leasing is a horrible deal for the consumer, generally speaking, so I'd steer her away from it anyway. If she's got $200/month, I'd suggest a used car. In that price range, she should be able to get a 2013-2015 car that's safe and reliable. Something like a Hyundai Elantra or Toyota Corolla come to mind.

I remember seeing awesome lease pricing last year for the Chevy Cruze. Maybe check that one out.

I remember seeing awesome lease pricing last year for the Chevy Cruze. Maybe check that one out.
Honda too on Civics, however, the nothing down is going to be tough. Most leases require you to at least put down enough to cover tax and license, usually about $2,000.

I have 2 young drivers, soon to be 3. I suggest a used higher mileage beater car. Dd21 has had her share of fender benders, plus backing into a car in a parking lot, getting hit by another car who took off, and totaled 2 vehicles. Ds19’s 20 year old minivan now has scrapes and scratches. I believe leased vehicles are expected to be turned in in good condition? We stick with Honda’s or Toyota’s, and drive them into the ground.

Does that $200 a month budget exclude
Insurance costs?

A few weeks ago, my coworker pointed out Volvo has a new leasing program that is like cell phone subscriptions AND it includes insurance.

I would suggest researching this. It seems interesting.

It’s called ‘Care by Volvo’. Prices start at $600 a month.
https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/n...MIpLTm7YXd2AIVA7XACh1ksAm6EAAYASAAEgLgFvD_BwE

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-new-car-ever-year-volvo-heard-you/961822001/

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/30/16720830/volvo-suv-subscription-plan-600-la-auto-show-2017

When I leased my Hyundai Sonata, I almost walked out several times over what they wanted me to put down. I think I ended up putting $500 down versus like $1500 they initially wanted. I wasn’t really shopping for a New car but had just stopped by to window shop. LOL.

Last edited:
Please don't lease. As an alternative, try a certified, pre owned car from a major manufacturer. This way you can get the price you need and the peace of mind you crave. Pre owned cars may also cost less to insure. Consult Consumer Reports for their "good" and "bad" car list.

There are even lower cost approaches out there, but it sounds like your family is looking for something that is fairly painless and affordable.

If she doesn't have any money to put down on a lease, chances are she doesn't have any for a used car, hence the question looking for a lease with no money down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter