Is it OK to wash your Pampered Chef stone??

SeeDisney

<font color=red>I drove by my WAWA <br><font color
I've been doing this for about a month now. Finally bought in to buying two stones, a rectangle dish and a pizza stone.

But I wash it in the dishwasher. I take the easy button out.

Is it OK?

I honestly don't know for sure. When I bought my stones, the girl told me NOT to use detergent or soap because it would "adhere" to the stone some how and make your food taste yucky. She said just to use water and that brown scrubber thing. Other than that, I doubt that it would make the stone break or anything like that. I've had my rectangle stone for close to five years now. It is "well seasoned" and works just great.

You may want to call your PC consultant or check out their website. They may have a FAQ or care guidelines there to help.

I was also told not to wash the stone. Do you like yours??? When I cook a frozen pizza on it, I notice I have to cook it longer than what the directions tell me to.

Do NOT wash your stone...we had a PC stone that we washed after baking chicken on it (I grossed out at the thought of just scraping it with the little brown thing since it was meat)...I washed it in the sink and YUCK...the next time I made fishsticks they had the distinct flavor of Joy dishwashing soap!

I have never washed any of my other PC stones with soap and have had them for about 2 years. Mine are well seasoned now and using the little brown scraper is almost as quick as just rinsing it and throwing it into the dishwasher! :)

I have washed mine with clear water only....using a green scrubby pad.

Then you have to make sure they are really...really dry before you use them again or they will crack.

Everything that everyone has said is correct... you should not use soap on your stones. It will leave a taste of soap. You only need to use hot water to sanitize, and the scraper or kitchen brush to remove particles.

I do have a few customers who have issues with the "not using soap" thing, and have avoided getting stones, but everyone else swears by them once they start using them.

The uglier it looks, the better it cooks!

Joy

It is so weird not to wash something you cook with, but I remember being told not to wash mine either. I just use hot water and a scrubber. I love the way cookies turn out on it!

I have a question!

I have had them for years -
always hot water only and the scraper they give you!

? - are younot suppose to BROIL on them
I am sooooo :mad:

my favorite stone (I forget what its called - its like a sheet with a little lip to preent srips...)
I had a YUMMY looking tenderlloin on it and It cracked into 3 pieces!
:rolleyes:

I think you can get a new one if it cracked. I only wash with water too. No soap and definitely not the dish washer.

Dislifer said:
I was also told not to wash the stone. Do you like yours??? When I cook a frozen pizza on it, I notice I have to cook it longer than what the directions tell me to.

I agree with everyone, do not wash your stone with any detergent or in the dishwasher.When preparing frozen pizza, try placing your stone in the oven while it preheats. Makes the pizza crisper.

TN Dreamer said:
I agree with everyone, do not wash your stone with any detergent or in the dishwasher.When preparing frozen pizza, try placing your stone in the oven while it preheats. Makes the pizza crisper.

But then you must be cautious adding the frozen pizza to the hot stone - this could lead to cracking.

I have the small bar pan that we use in the toaster oven, hardly use it. I was also instructed not to use soap and use the hottest water I can stand while wearing rubber gloves and the scraper to clean it.

I wonder if we put it in the dishwasher with no soap in it.....would that work as if I was holding it in hot hot water and scrubbing it

Another consultant here jumping in to say you should never use soap on your stones. As others have mentioned, because it is pourous clay, the soap gets absorbed by the stone and will then be cooked back into your food.

I also wouldn't try washing it in the dishwasher without soap simply because there could be soap residue left over and if you use any of those Jet Dry type products, that could have the same effect as soap. I don't think you want to ingest that.

As for the person who broke theirs, if you still have the receipt, you should be able to exchange it. Although keep in mind that the warranty policies have changed. They used to simply accept a piece of the stone back for a full replacement for the life of the stone. Now there are no more lifetime guarantees on the stones. I'm not sure of the exact warranty as I don't have the info in front of me, but if you have your receipt, there should be a number for Pampered Chef customer service that you can call and they can let you know if you'll be able to replace it.

Patty: I'll have to look into the broiling situation. I've used mine once or twice with the broiler, but only for a few minutes while trying to brown the top of something. I'll let you know what I find out.

iNTeNSeBLue98 said:
But then you must be cautious adding the frozen pizza to the hot stone - this could lead to cracking.

I have the small bar pan that we use in the toaster oven, hardly use it. I was also instructed not to use soap and use the hottest water I can stand while wearing rubber gloves and the scraper to clean it.

The stone I have now is about 5 years old, never had a problem with cracking. I do allow pizza to set out at room temperature for a few minutes. Before placing on stone. It works for me.

Okay, I'm going to be the oddball here...I always wash mine in the sink with water and dishwashing liquid. I've had it for years (the flat rectangular one and the square dish) and have never noticed a soapy taste (and no one has ever complained of it either). I have never put mine in the dishwasher though. Mine are pretty well seasoned from years of use, so maybe that is why, but even in the beginning, I always washed it in the sink with liquid detergent. Now that I've said that, we will probably all keel over from soap poisoning from using soap on it! ;)

TN Dreamer said:
The stone I have now is about 5 years old, never had a problem with cracking. I do allow pizza to set out at room temperature for a few minutes. Before placing on stone. It works for me.

I see...leaving the pizza to thaw while the stone preheats would offer protection. As with any ceramic, stone or porcelain cookware you must use care when transferring from hot to cold and vice versa-I didn't want another user to make that mistake because they read it on the DIS. :teacher:

Hi all- You cannot use soap on stoneware because stone is super absorbent- like a sponge. And you know how you can never completely get soap out of a sponge- same thing with your stone. It is the same reason why those of you with Granite countertops need to seal your stone once a year- it will absorb stains otherwise. Hope this helps!

Hello all, another consultant here. I would like to add that if you feel you need to be washing your stone with something, you can srub it with baking soda once in a while. You want to let it get seasoned though, so don't use baking soda all the time. My director likes to have ugliest stone contests with her customers, it lets everyone else see what a "real" stone looks like.

I have always used to soap and water on mine and it's fine. Strange that you are not supposed to do that.

I've had my stones for up to 4 years (an ex-consultant), and they were guaranteed for 3 years BUT we were told they must not go under the grill (broiler) or on the hob as this could cause them to crack.

My small bar pan seems to get greasier than others (it is very well seasoned) so DH will always wash it up with washing liquid and it hasn't tainted the food. For everything else I just use hot water and the brown scraper, dry it then leave it in the open to make sure its properly dry.

I love my stones, and DH recently broke deep dish baker AND round stone, so i have to find another consultant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter