Is it me or is this winter been the worst winter so far?

I guess it's just you! ;) Or maybe you're just young & haven't experienced any really bad winters. Sure the last temps are bad this week, but they have been above average for much of the winter so far. And we're about 24 inches below our average snowfall, I think. All in all, not my worst winter ever. Guess that honor goes to the year we had 6 feet, yes 6 feet of snow between Christmas & New Years Day. :crazy2:

I'll take cold over snow any day!

My guess too was the OP is young. While I may have only been 10 when it happened, I very well remember the blizzard of Jan 78. DH and I both have pictures to prove to our kids, that they haven't seen nothing yet in a snow storm.

DH was far worse off then I was. He's a country boy and they didn't get dug out for weeks. The IL's house sits north/south with a couple miles of corn fields directly to the west of them. Their house was a nice big ol stopping point for all the snow that wind was pushing eastward. He could walk up the drift on the northwest side of the house, onto the roof and across and walk back down on the drift on the southeast side of the house.

So far not too bad in Pittsburgh. The only major snow we had was 2 or 3 days after Christmas and that melted when it was in the 60's a couple of weekends ago. I remember when I was a kid there were snow piles all winter long. The last couple days have been cold but I remember days well below zero. I went to work on the -22 day back in 1994.

I'm in the northeast. We've had a few cold days, but it's not anywhere near the "worst winter ever."

No, we've only had one significant snow event. The worst winter in my lifetime was 2009-10. It started with a blizzard around 12/8. Our (gravel) road from our driveway to the corner filled up with drifts 8 feet tall. When the plows came through they only got one car-width cleared. DH had JUST started his own business with his own semi (like that very week) and the semi was at home. A neighbor brought a big tractor over and cleared enough to the get the semi to town.

From that point on the onslaught never really stopped. Seemed like every week till sometime in March there was another snow, and never any melting. We broke a record for days of continuous snow cover. The county could never open the road any wider. One time my van's side mirror was folded in by the drift at the edge of the road- it was that high and close! Once I came home and it hadn't even snowed but I had to park on the corner on the intersecting road because our road had blown shut completely. DH didn't want to leave our vehicles on the road and the county wouldn't come out at that hour, so he spent 5 hours on our cab-less Farmall tractor clearing enough to get our vehicles home.

The semi never came home till spring- so glad we were able to get it out after the first snow. After that winter, we bought a big tractor with a cab...and it has barely snowed since. I guess if that's what it took it was worth the cost ;)

It's been cold the past few days and we had one measurable amount of snow in December, but that's it. The local news was talking just last night about the lack of snow and how we are still very much in a drought and how much worse this will make this summer's drought! This is bad, real bad! I hate snow, but we NEED it!

I'm in the same general area as you and I was thinking just last week that it hasn't been that hard of a winter. This week is extraordinarily cold, but prior to this I can't say that it has been awful. We were very spoiled last year weather-wise, so that might be making this cold snap seem even worse.

I am a bonafide winter HATER. I hate it's guts! I don't like a single thing about it. Last winter was wonderful. If every winter were like last winter I could probably get through it with minimal complaining. But this cold is HORRIBLE! I can't take it! From November to May I wonder over and over and over again "why do I live here?" (Simple answer; dh has a good job here and this is where my family lives)

Last winter was super mild in Chicago, so compared to last year, this is worse. But this year so far is still better than our average winters. We haven't had any snow to speak of at all, just this cold snap the past few days.

I am a bonafide winter HATER. I hate it's guts! I don't like a single thing about it. Last winter was wonderful. If every winter were like last winter I could probably get through it with minimal complaining. But this cold is HORRIBLE! I can't take it! From November to May I wonder over and over and over again "why do I live here?" (Simple answer; dh has a good job here and this is where my family lives)

I was looking for the Like button.... :thumbsup2

Totally agree! I could have written this post myself. Except I start earlier with the questioning - usually come September, it's "and WHY am I living up here again???"

Yeah, it's my great job keeping me here. Stupid work, lol.

Pfft.... I'll grill in whatever temperature. If I had some steaks out, I'd be tossing them on the grill tonight at single digit temps.

Well as you can see by the picture, "grilling" means sitting outside while the charcoal comes to temperature and all that. Not just dashing out and warming something up with propane :-)

For me anything below 50 is freezing to me. When Dh gets out of the military in 7 yrs we are headed to Fl.

3Gsandme said:
I'm in Ohio and really think most of this winter has even unseasonably warm. I'm not loving the zero temperatures, but I think cold snaps are normal. I'm more worried when it isn't cold when and where it should be. The polar bears and all that.

Where in Ohio do you live. We had 3" of snow in Delaware Ohio

Since the start of 2013 this winter has gotten worse than ever. In the last week in parts of the Northern US the Temps have been very cold. I live in Delaware Ohio and right now as I'm typing this it's 9 degrees above zero. And tomorrow night Ohio may get hit with a bad snowstorm depending of the track of the Storm. Can't wait till spring. Brrrrrrrr

Omg compared to last winter, this has been horrible!!! We have had winter weather here in NC the past two weeks and I am sick of it. Lol I grew up in Ohio and yes I love snow but down here they don't know what to do for it. I saw snow one time last winter and twice in two weeks this year. Bring on the spring weather already.

Today didn't even make it above 30 today....

I think what defines 'worst' winter is different to for different people. I live in Colorado Springs. We have been terrifingly warm and dry-less than 10 inches of snow for the entire winter so far when snow fall is our major source of water for both winter and summer. it was 68 yesterday-25 degrees above normal. This is our second unusually warm winter and our third dry one in a row. Long term climate predictions say this drought will last two or three more years. 360 homes burned in a wildfire last summer-i shudder to think whats to come-besides having to allow our landscaping and gardens to die because of water rationing.
Yes i would agree this is the 'worst' winter ever.

I live in NE Ohio and compared to last year, this year has been worse but compared to two years ago...not even close to being the worst winter so far.
Two years ago I believe we had snow pack on the ground for 3 straight months because it never went above freezing during that time.

Where in Ohio do you live. We had 3" of snow in Delaware Ohio
We had some snow in C-Bus but nothing major (only a 30 car pile up on 270). The wrecks in the last few days have been awful. Too many transplants who do not know how to drive in a few inches of snow. Last week and today on 270 was gridlock.
People, we can handle snow! and cold. Learn how to drive in Ohio. Closng schools because we had a few inches of snow is stupid.

BTY, Marion, OH here. Flood central.:rotfl:

Not here, it hasn't gotten below 30 more than 2 weeks the entire winter so far. That means a terrible summer - because it hasn't gotten cold enough to kill the bugs.

Since the start of 2013 this winter has gotten worse than ever. In the last week in parts of the Northern US the Temps have been very cold. I live in Delaware Ohio and right now as I'm typing this it's 9 degrees above zero. And tomorrow night Ohio may get hit with a bad snowstorm depending of the track of the Storm. Can't wait till spring. Brrrrrrrr

nahhhh
we are in NE ohio. try living through the big storm of 1978!!! HUGE snow piles it was horrendous. my husband plowed buisness's & he couldn't even get to where he was supposed to, so many roads closed.

in the last 20 years I recall some snow storms where the drifts were over 6 ft, nothing like that recently. there were many years where it went to 10 below or more. brrr.

we just really lucked out last year... although we were waiting last jan for the ground to freeze, we had to pour concrete slab...... 1st winter i could remember that the ground did not freeze!

I don't have stats, but 1986 and 1997 seemed a whole lot worse to me, and I do mean a whole lot worse. Granted, this year has been colder and wetter than average, but only by a few degrees and by an inch or two of rain.

And did I hear correctly, Chicago, a city known for snow, hasn't had snow in a year?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter