Is Flight of Passage basically Soarin'?

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by Princess Katelet, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Princess Katelet

Princess Katelet Mouseketeer

Forgive me, but I abandoned WDW after years and years of amazing trips there, and started going to Disneyland instead. Lately my youngest, who was nine on her last WDW trip, has been wanting to return as she doesn't have strong memories of it and wants to compare Disneyland to it. Although I am very unhappy with the new FP+ system at WDW, I am considering a return for my daughter's sake. But I'm very out of the loop. In fact it took me forever to even figure out what FOP stands for.

At any rate, I've youtubed the ride and am thinking it's basically Soarin' except that you're not 'hang gliding' over tourist areas, but are supposedly flying within an alien world or something. But is it basically the same thing?? You feel like you're flying among cool scenery??

2. FCDub

FCDub DIS Veteran

It's 3D, for one. It's Soarin' but three technical iterations better.

vwlfan, rteetz, subtchr and 3 others like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. OhhBother

OhhBother DIS Veteran

Soarin is like watching a movie. FOP is like being IN one.

5. PSUGuy

PSUGuy Bill From PA

FoP has you much more 'In' the action, think Soarin' on steroids.

Bill From PA

6. jcarwash

jcarwash DIS Veteran

Not entirely dissimilar (both simulated flight using a large screen) but Flight of Passage is much more immersive, with a very different ride vehicle that adds to the experience in a new and unique way.

Plus Flight of Passage isn't distorting any well-known landmarks. ;-)

cmarsh31, vwlfan, AdamsMum and 7 others like this.
  7. MrConbon

MrConbon Earning My Ears

Not really. Both have you looking at big screens but that’s about it.

FOP has you on a bike sort of thing with your torso hunched forward much like if you were on a motorcycle. FOP has 3D and much more movement than Soarin does with the vehicle you are on also breathing to simulate you on the creature.

DaisyDuck001 likes this.
  8. Mome Rath

Mome Rath 3 Decade Disney Traveller

I would only say that the similarity begins and ends with the idea of "flying." Or, perhaps method of flight could be compared. Soarin, at best, feels like you are in a glider. FoP; riding on the back of a flying dragon on a mission. lol FoP is much much more immersive, and happens to be my favorite ride in any theme park at the moment.

9. DisDreaming4116

DisDreaming4116 Mouseketeer

I know not the point of your post but after getting a hang of FP+, you will like it. Not ideal to have to be on the phone but when you can take a week trip, not miss out on ANY attractions and not spend more than 25 minutes in any line, you'll change your tune.
    Since you have watched the FOP Youtube video, I won't be spoiling anything for you. After that first drop, you'll see (and feel) how much different it is than Soarin'.

cmarsh31 and michhess like this.
  10. TiggerBouncy

TiggerBouncy DIS Veteran

FOP is WAY more immersive.

vwlfan, rteetz and tinkerhon like this.
  11. TIME4DIZ

TIME4DIZ Mouseketeer

Kinda like Disney World is basically the same as your local amusement park. Both have food, rides, and shows but WDW does it on an entirely different level.

jodifla, swanwed6206, 22Tink and 3 others like this.
  12. mamapenguin

mamapenguin DIS Veteran

I agree with your assessment of FOP vs Soarin’. They even make it feel like it is breathing while you are flying.

However, having been to DLR last month and being here now I understand OPs frustration. I am decent at Fast Pass plus, but MaxPass rules. It isn’t even close.

13. jerseygal

jerseygal DIS Veteran

Very excited also for FOP, first time!:thumbsup2:cheer2:

swanwed6206 likes this.
  14. MYD714

MYD714 Please stand clear of the doors...

This is exactly how I described it after the first time I rode it. I actually panicked when the giant wave happens. I had gotten soaked on the Kali River Rapids earlier in the day, and screamed "not again!" The people I was with thought I was insane.:rotfl:

15. Nebraska_Disney

Nebraska_Disney DIS Veteran

FOP is the best ride in all 4 parks, hands down. You are part of the ride and the ability to "feel" that way is something Soarin can't do, even the old (better) Soarin movie

vwlfan, jodifla, CarolynK and 4 others like this.
  16. tinkerhon

tinkerhon DIS Veteran

Way way more ! Love it !

17. disneygirlsng

disneygirlsng Mouseketeer

I can see how watching a video of the ride you would think it would be more similar, But once you actually experience it, it is sooo much different (aka better). I think a previous poster nailed it with saying it's more like you are "in" the movie.

Also, once you get the hang of FP+, it is far, far superior to FP.

CarolynK and DisDreaming4116 like this.
  18. HopperFan

HopperFan "It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."

NO NO NO not the same thing except at the most simplistic level possible.

The new Soarin' is the same as the old Soarin' but with a badly made "movie". I walk by just about any time I am there.

FOP is done well, done right, fully immersive, beautiful, 3D, 4D and we never miss it if in park.

19. mckennarose

mckennarose Always planning the next trip.....

I feel like FOP is closer to Star Tours than Soarin. 3d glasses, the feeling of fast flying and daring, unpredictable moves of the banshee. Soarin is very gentle movements, no glasses, less of an immersive feeling.
    FOP is AMAZING and shouldn't be skipped, IMO.

20. sunsetbeachgal

sunsetbeachgal DIS Veteran

For those who have done Universal, is it anything like either of the big Harry Potter rides, Forbidden Journey or Gringotts??

21. stace1214

stace1214 DIS Veteran

In my opinion, their similarities begin and end with big screen and flying. FOP is intense, totally immersive and truly a cutting edge, amazing attraction. Soarin' is great too, but nothing along the same lines at FOP.

Crystal824 likes this.