Is dvc membership worth purchasing for campsite at fort wilderness?

martin785

Earning My Ears
We prefer the comforts of our RV and enjoy the solitude and serenity of fort wilderness. Is it worth purchasing a dvc membership if all we do is stay at fort wilderness campsites?

martin785 said:
We prefer the comforts of our RV and enjoy the solitude and serenity of fort wilderness. Is it worth purchasing a dvc membership if all we do is stay at fort wilderness campsites?

We had the same hesitation. We love our TT and love camping at the Fort, but all we have done for the past few years is camp and we wanted to mix up. So we decided to buy into DVC and at worst case we can use extra points for a stay at the Fort in our camper. DVC is not for everyone, and you have a lot to think considering you already have a 2nd home on wheels.

The most important thing to consider, is that the campsites are not part of the Disney Vacation Club. DVC members currently have the ability to use points to reserve campsites, but that's a perk, not part of your membership. As with all exchanges, there's also a $95 exchange fee that is applied when you make the initial reservation, and again for any subsequent changes to the reservation.

The ability to use points for campsites, and the point cost for those campsites, is negotiated with another part of the Disney company on an annual basis, and is subject to change or being discontinued at any time.

Keep in mind, also, that you would need to purchase direct from Disney to use your points at campsites; resale contracts don't have access to the Disney Collection (non-DVC) resorts. That would mean you'd be paying the highest possible price for the contract, and that if you decided after purchase that it wasn't a good value and you wanted to sell, the price you'd get on resale would likely be far, far lower than your purchase cost.

So, in short, no, I couldn't recommend purchasing a contract just for use at the campsite.

Lynne M said:
The most important thing to consider, is that the campsites are not part of the Disney Vacation Club. DVC members currently have the ability to use points to reserve campsites, but that's a perk, not part of your membership. As with all exchanges, there's also a $95 exchange fee that is applied when you make the initial reservation, and again for any subsequent changes to the reservation.

The ability to use points for campsites, and the point cost for those campsites, is negotiated with another part of the Disney company on an annual basis, and is subject to change or being discontinued at any time.

Keep in mind, also, that you would need to purchase direct from Disney to use your points at campsites; resale contracts don't have access to the Disney Collection (non-DVC) resorts. That would mean you'd be paying the highest possible price for the contract, and that if you decided after purchase that it wasn't a good value and you wanted to sell, the price you'd get on resale would likely be far, far lower than your purchase cost.

So, in short, no, I couldn't recommend purchasing a contract just for use at the campsite.

Lynne, correct me if am wrong, but I am pretty sure the 95$ fee is being waived for the Fort?? I do agree with you that if the only intent is to use your points at the Fort it is not worth it.

Lynne, correct me if am wrong, but I am pretty sure the 95$ fee is being waived for the Fort?? I do agree with you that if the only intent is to use your points at the Fort it is not worth it.

Whoops, yes, I think you're correct. The campsites are currently exempt from that fee. Sorry about that.:blush:

Bottom line: DVC should not be considered a good purchase if your intent is to use it for Fort Wilderness RV stations or cabins. The number of points needed to switch into FW campsites can go up annually. Moreover, if Disney wanted, it could just cease offering FW as a trade option since it is a discretionary perk with DVC that Disney can cancel at anytime. Also, many have mentioned that it is not that easy to even trade out to the RV sites because they are often not available for DVC trades. You should buy DVC mainly for use at DVC resorts; if intent is to trade out most of the time, don't purchase DVC.

That said, if your heart is set on FW be aware that you might just want to wait a few years and see what happens. There is a possiblity Disney will eventually build a DVC resort at Fort Wilderness. It actually filed designs for it several years back and the project has not been formally abandoned. You should note that if that actually happens it will likely result in ending the members' ability to trade out to other portions of FW such as the RV sites.

I don't see any advantage to buying DVC to use at the campsites. It will most likely be more expensive to do so, and you are adding extra steps as opposed to just calling Disney and booking directly. More money and more work, doesn't seem like a win.

I don't see any advantage to buying DVC to use at the campsites. It will most likely be more expensive to do so, and you are adding extra steps as opposed to just calling Disney and booking directly. More money and more work, doesn't seem like a win.
I'll go a step further, it'll be more expensive than booking on cash and it's not guaranteed in addition to the extra steps and complications being introduced with this method.

Unless things have changed, we wanted to camp with our TT at the Fort campsites, and it would have cost us the $95.00 fee to do so. We parked our trailer in the parking lot and stayed at DVC. Did a cross country drive last summer, which is why we had the TT for our travels.

Simple answer: Nope. DVC for this purpose would be a waste of money and taking on risk for no benefit.

Unless things have changed, we wanted to camp with our TT at the Fort campsites, and it would have cost us the $95.00 fee to do so. We parked our trailer in the parking lot and stayed at DVC. Did a cross country drive last summer, which is why we had the TT for our travels.

The campsites do not have the $95 fee. The cabins do.

No. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!