Is Boatwright’s bad?

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by Pdollar88, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Pdollar88

Pdollar88 DIS Veteran

i heard that Boatwright’s was “notoriously bad” and frequently avoided by WDW regulars. Is it actually bad? What are your experiences with it?

I wouldn’t go out of my way to eat there, just if I’m staying at PO Riverside.

2. Mr & Mrs DD

Mr & Mrs DD DIS Veteran

We ate there about 5 years ago and it we did not like it at all. However, we are staying at POR on our next visit and the menu sounds so good to us that we have decided to give it another try now that 5 years has passed and see if it's any better. We currently have a reservation to eat there. Some places are just hit & miss. For example, we have eaten at Coral Reef 4 times. We had one of the best meals there 2 out of 4 times. The other two times it was not very good at all. So, I will be curious to see what anyone else has to say about" Boatwrights" that has eaten there recently.

Pdollar88 likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. DISNEY1975

DISNEY1975 DIS Veteran

Funny this is 1 of 3 restaurants Ive never been to! I havent heard anything about it, just never had a chance to go. I stayed at PO FQ once, but ended up at Olivias for our dinner when I was looking for somewhere close.

Never been to the restaurant in Epcot/Morocco because the menu doesnt appeal to me...at all. Never been to V&A either. Ive either been a kid or with kids in all my trips to Disney! From what I read, it doesnt sound like its a place for kids. Luckily 2 of my 3 are adults now and my youngest will be 15 this year. Hopefully in about 5 years we can have a meal there....unless there are grandkids :)

Pdollar88 likes this.
  5. BrookieM2001

BrookieM2001 Everything's better with Mickey ears!

We are ther for our 10 year anniversary in 2016 and it was DELICIOUS. One of the best meals we had that trip, easily. It’s the only place on property that has prime rib and that is DHs and my favorite, and we also were staying there so it wasn’t an easy choice. The restaurant wasn’t full so I think you’re probably right that many people don’t go but I can honestly say the food was awesome and so was the service, the waitress was wonderful and let us keep our stroller by the table with our baby asleep in it so we could have a peaceful meal. Highly recommend!!

Pdollar88 likes this.
  6. bookbabe626

bookbabe626 Formerly known as bookbabe_disneynut

We ate there in January 2017 and loved it. Best restaurant of our 10 day trip. We'll be going back to Boatwrights on our trip this Christmas, probably for our anniversary dinner, it was just that good. And our other restaurants that trip included BoG, Ohana and Yachtsman. Maybe we just hit them on a good night, but we really enjoyed it.

Pdollar88 likes this.
  7. Hopefully

Hopefully DIS Veteran

To clarify. The Turf Club at SSR has Prime Rib and it is delicious

8. ncc1701

ncc1701 Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW

We have eaten there on our last 3 trips. Food was good not great but the cornbread is addictive.We were staying at POFQ so it was just a short walk. Below is a picture of DH's Jambalaya
    . 20171111_183645.jpg

Pdollar88 likes this.
  9. agavegirl1

agavegirl1 DIS Veteran

That is strange, OP, I had never heard it was "notoriously bad" before. There have been a few threads on it this year where most used terms like "very good", "hidden gem" and "loved it". There were occasional bad experience but nothing that said "notoriously bad" to me. :confused3

Pdollar88 and bucky1023 like this.
  10. Pdollar88

Pdollar88 DIS Veteran

That’s why I was also confused and asking for people’s experiences. It was said to have a bad reputation by a YouTube channel associated with DIS.

11. HopperFan

HopperFan "It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."

Years ago it was hard to get in to. And even with an ADR you would likely be seated way past your time. The hallway and lounge would be packed with folks waiting. It seems much easier to get an ADR but I think part of that is there are so many more restaurants at Disney than there used to be. We have eaten there numerous times; always had very good plentiful meals, always had great servers and never felt rushed or hurried. Overall one of our most enjoyable places to dine.

Pdollar88 likes this.
  12. stsomewhere

stsomewhere DIS Veteran

One of the bus drivers told us that it is the best place to eat at WDW.

HopperFan and Pdollar88 like this.
  13. anniemae

anniemae Either she is eating a delicious

I had always heard it was a hidden gem. A must do. That and Yee Haw Bob.

Pdollar88 likes this.
  14. DWillowBay

DWillowBay DIS Veteran

I was excited to eat there. The menu looked terrific. I was so disappointed...and I am rarely disappointed by ANY kind of food. I ordered the Etoufee and it was extremely salty. I just couldn't finish it. Others around me voiced being unhappy with their selections as well. It's a nice atmosphere and the service was fine. But the food was just not.

Pdollar88 likes this.
  15. MamaJessie

MamaJessie DIS Veteran

We went in 2009 and were not big fans but went in 2015 to give it a second shot and LOVED it.

Pdollar88 likes this.
  16. Jetta8300

Jetta8300 DIS Veteran

I've never heard it was notoriously bad. In fact I've always seen quite positive reviews of it. We went in 2016 and it was probably our favorite meal of the trip. The food was phenomenal.

Pdollar88 likes this.
  17. Liv4Dis

Liv4Dis Mouseketeer

We ate there last year and it was one of our best dinners of our 14 day trip. I had prime rib and my DS and DH had jambaylaya. We each ordered pecan pie for dessert and it was literally a whole pie EACH.

Pdollar88 likes this.
  18. brertoad

brertoad DIS Veteran

I wouldn't go back. It was a terrible experience. They made us wait over an hour after our ADR, 80% of the place was empty, no rhyme or reason to it and no explanation.
    Food was basic, could have gotten a better meal somewhere else. I'm not that desperate for cornbread to go back.

Food was a "C". Service was an "F".

Pdollar88 likes this.
  19. Pdollar88

Pdollar88 DIS Veteran

If there's a decent discount, I think I'll be at PO Riverside for my solo September trip. So I'm going to try to squeeze it in, give it a try.

20. jaiminee krikit

jaiminee krikit DIS Veteran

I have never had a bad meal there, and we typically eat there when we stay at POR. I absolutely love their cornbread! It's big and fluffy and so delicious! I got the jambalaya last time and it was also good. DD15 does not like their kids pizza, though, but it is the typical WDW kids pizza (she's just outgrown it). We've always had great service there, too.

Pdollar88 likes this.