Ireland with a 7 year old. Must do ideas and tips

Carol_

DIS Veteran
One of us has been before. One of us has not. What’s great for a 7 year old in Ireland? What should we certainly avoid?
Thanks in advance.

Where are you Travelling from AND where are you Travelling to ?

With or without a car ?

I studied abroad in Ireland (UC Cork) back in the early 2000s, and played the tour guide for my mother and her friend when they came to visit. I now have two children of my own that hope to take to Ireland some day! I think kids would enjoy exploring virtually any castle/ruins, but a couple of my favorites were the Rock of Cashel (legend says St. Patrick himself baptized the local king there) and Cahir Castle (a very cool fortress/castle that has been a film location for several tv series and movies). Dublinia is a cool museum in Dublin focusing on medieval Dublin with an emphasis on Viking influence. Kinsale has two very cool forts to explore (Charles and James) with amazing dining in the local village center. Cobh has a cool museum dedicated to the Titanic. Cork has a really great museum in the old Gaol (jail) where you can explore and take a guided tour. I think most kids would also love exploring the Burren and the Cliffs of Mohr

Where are you Travelling from AND where are you Travelling to ?

With or without a car ?
To: Flying into and out of Dublin.
Haven’t yet decided what comes in between. It’ll be little under a week. Will likely have a car. I’ll expect at least one Guinness. Possibly some Smithwick’s and/or a Harp or something. I’m trying to keep my expectations low. Where do 7 year olds play in Ireland? He likes reading about snakes. I haven’t yet told him about St Peter. (Edit: St Patrick!)

Last edited:

Hi, I live in Ireland but in county Clare.

In Dublin, temple bar is a photogenic area and so is St Stephen’s Greene. That’s where a good row of shopping is, including the Irish Disney Store (highly recommend, it’s 3 stories). Guinness Storehouse is a must because of the view up top. If you want some entertainment, the really big Riverdance company is back to performing this summer/autumn, and they are still selling tickets in Dublin on Ticketmaster. Kilmainham Gaol is a great historic place to visit if you want to learn more about the troubles. St. Patrick Cathedral is fantastic and you can even visit during a ceremony which includes a lovely choir. Dublin Castle is in the city but Malahide or Powerscourt nearby are cooler. Dublin Zoo is next to Phoenix park (park that is like triple the size of Central Park in nyc). Dublin Zoo is nice, like any other zoo, but something fun for kids. I’d recommend going into a pub to hear traditional music and get Irish pub grub…get the Yorkshire pudding and sticky toffee pudding, yum!

If you’re there for a few days, tour companies or public buses Bus Éireann can take you out of the city and back. I recommend Cliffs of Moher of course. Beautiful cliffs that have a fun activity Centre. Galway city is fantastic for traditional pubs and shopping fun. Connemara is full of thatched cottages like in Tully Cross. Glendalough is a gorgeous town surrounded by Irish mountains and lakes and is so scenic and beautiful to hike around.

Obviously there’s so much to see. I hope you and your son have a great holiday.

Just to warn you, please check on car rentals before you attempt that route. I’ve heard car rentals are highly inflated right now so you may need to resort to using just public transportation and tour companies. Public transportation is great though. Possibly get yourselves a Leap Card to make hoping off and on the buses and Luas easier. Btw, the taxi app/company is called ‘Free Now’ and there is Uber too of course.

Good luck 🍀👍

Last edited:
Hi, I live in Ireland but in county Clare.

In Dublin, temple bar is a photogenic area and so is St Stephen’s Greene. That’s where a good row of shopping is, including the Irish Disney Store (highly recommend, it’s 3 stories). Guinness Storehouse is a must because of the view up top. If you want some entertainment, the really big Riverdance company is back to performing this summer/autumn, and they are still selling tickets in Dublin on Ticketmaster. Kilmainham Gaol is a great historic place to visit if you want to learn more about the troubles. St. Patrick Cathedral is fantastic and you can even visit during a ceremony which includes a lovely choir. Dublin Castle is in the city but Malahide or Powerscourt nearby are cooler. Dublin Zoo is next to Phoenix park (park that is like triple the size of Central Park in nyc). Dublin Zoo is nice, like any other zoo, but something fun for kids. I’d recommend going into a pub to hear traditional music and get Irish pub grub…get the Yorkshire pudding and sticky toffee pudding, yum!

If you’re there for a few days, tour companies or public buses Bus Éireann can take you out of the city and back. I recommend Cliffs of Moher of course. Beautiful cliffs that have a fun activity Centre. Galway city is fantastic for traditional pubs and shopping fun. Connemara is full of thatched cottages like in Tully Cross. Glendalough is a gorgeous town surrounded by Irish mountains and lakes and is so scenic and beautiful to hike around.

Obviously there’s so much to see. I hope you and your son have a great holiday.

Just to warn you, please check on car rentals before you attempt that route. I’ve heard car rentals are highly inflated right now so you may need to resort to using just public transportation and tour companies. Public transportation is great though. Possibly get yourselves a Leap Card to make hoping off and on the buses and Luas easier. Btw, the taxi app/company is called ‘Free Now’ and there is Uber too of course.

Good luck 🍀👍
Awesome info! Thanks!
The car rentals offered with the flight cost more than the flights! We’ll probably use the buses too.

Last edited:
Awesome info! Thanks!
The car rentals offered with the flight cost more than the flights! We’ll probably use the buses too.
Almost as important as any of it, how do I get unlimited data while in Ireland? (I have T-mobile here in the US for the sole reason that it was supposed to be functional in Europe. I failed miserably in this on our last trip and was out of data before we got out of our first taxi. Stupid iPhone chip shenanigans.)
Do you have an unlocked phone? As in, if you remove the SIM card, your phone will accept other networks?

If not, I found t-mobiles terms for unlocking phones: https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/sim-unlock-policy

Maybe you’re eligible to unlock it…and if you can, you should do it before the trip. You should call or go in to the store if you can unlock it.

If it is unlocked, when you land, there’s opportunities to buy SIM cards with prepaid topup included for a month usage. You can get unlimited data typically for €15 to €35. In Dublin airport, they sell 3 brands of SIMs. Here’s a website explaining where they are and what they are…
https://www.traveltomtom.net/destinations/europe/ireland/ireland-sim-card-dublin-airport

The offers to tourists in the Dublin Airport are worse than if you just go into a mobile store in Dublin city but it’s up to you if you want to wait. I’d either head to terminal 1 and buy the €30 Three SIM for unlimited data or head into the city and go to Vodafone or Eir along St. Stephen’s Green and get unlimited data for 20-35 euros. Vodafone has the best coverage in the country but in Dublin, you’ll have great coverage with any company. But I don’t recommend the Lyca one.

Oh, Dublin airport has free wifi, which is handy when you need to sort your phone out when you land.

But you’ll have to have an unlocked phone for it to work. If not, I think you may be stuck with t-mobile’s international roaming plans.

Or…
If you’re not eligible to unlock, you could buy a prepay phone when you get to Ireland. Prepay phones at Tesco Mobile (Tesco’s are big grocery stores here that also sell phones and plans) go as low as €50 but it’s the most basic smart phone. So, say you land and head to a Tesco, the prepay phone basic smart phone is €50 total as it includes a €15 topup which is 30gb (not unlimited at Tesco mobile evidently). Every mobile shop will have prepay phones at a range of prices and you could keep it for all future trips internationally because it’s unlocked (I think) and could accept other SIMs.

Ok, hopefully I wasn’t confusing in all that.

To: Flying into and out of Dublin.
Haven’t yet decided what comes in between. It’ll be little under a week. Will likely have a car. I’ll expect at least one Guinness. Possibly some Smithwick’s and/or a Harp or something. I’m trying to keep my expectations low. Where do 7 year olds play in Ireland? He likes reading about snakes. I haven’t yet told him about St Peter.

Here is a plan

Stay in one of the Hotels at Dublin Airport ( say for 3 nights )

Take the AirCoach ( Blue Bus ) to City Center ( Or Any City Center Direct bus .{ 747 }

Do the Viking Splash Boat Tour ....... good fun for children

Look up a tour OF the GAA Headquarters at Croke Park in Dublin

There is A Wax Works

Use the Hop On Hop Off City tour bus

AVOID TEMPLE BAR It is a DRINKING AREA

NOW Take a PaddyWagon Bus tour from Dublin to NewGrange that will give the 7 year old happy

Next From your Hotel at Dublin Airport Take the AirCoach Blue bus to Cork Or

The Red Go Bus Both go Non Stop sometimes via Dublin City Pre Booking Is Required but Bus goes every hour

In Cork look at Jurys Inn at Andersons Quay Why ? Near bus drop off & train Station

Take train to Fota Wildlife Park Or Stay on Train To Cobh ( cove ) & see the Titanic area

Next take the Hop on Hop off Bus to the Old City Gaol ( Jail ) as refered to on previous post

Also do a Paddy Wagon day tour to ?

I Live in Cork

. Where do 7 year olds play in Ireland? He likes reading about snakes. I haven’t yet told him about St Peter.

I think you mean St. Patrick ( March 17th ) he is alleged to have got rid if Snakes in Ireland

Enjoy your planning

T-Mobile tells me it’ll be $50 for 15 Gigs over 30 days. I typically use twice that much but as my trip won’t be that long I think it’ll work. Otherwise, I have an unlocked iPhone if I need it.
DH wants to stay in interesting places, not cookie cutter hotels that look like all the hotels all over the world.
A friend mentioned something about a program where you stay on homesteads or farms or something? Anyone know about that?

Anyone know of more interesting accommodations than the flavorless boxy hotels that resemble all other hotels?

Your vacation is less than 7 days, you have been given tour plans,

Take some of this advice , and work on it,to make your own plan

You will have a 7 year old to think about and his / her stamina to keep going

Yes there are many other hotels out there ... what do you require ?

Anyone know of more interesting accommodations than the flavorless boxy hotels that resemble all other hotels?

The flavorless Boxy hotels ..... Which serve doughnuts & waffles ( as Continental Breakfast served on paper

plates ) are mostly found in U.S.A

Most European Hotels will be a sit down breakfast with proper tableware

You will be surprised on how different they All are

T-Mobile tells me it’ll be $50 for 15 Gigs over 30 days. I typically use twice that much but as my trip won’t be that long I think it’ll work. Otherwise, I have an unlocked iPhone if I need it.
DH wants to stay in interesting places, not cookie cutter hotels that look like all the hotels all over the world.
A friend mentioned something about a program where you stay on homesteads or farms or something? Anyone know about that?
We honeymooned in Ireland so things likely have changed a lot since then. (1995).
We booked a B&B package through Brendan tours that included our accommodations and the rental car. It was a $300 upgrade to have an automatic transmission in our tiny car. We both can drive a stick but worried about trying to do it left-handed. We were given a voucher booklet and any B&B displaying the shamrock, symbol of the Irish Tourist Board, would accept our vouchers. It was very offpeak time of year so we didn’t need reservations anywhere. We were given a map of Ireland with our car and drove all over for 12 days. As it started to get dark each night, we’d look for a place to stay. Many were farmhouses. All were clean with friendly people and delicious breakfast each morning.
Our favorite places were Ring of Kerry, Ashford Castle, Cliffs of Moher, Kylemore Abbey, Galway, and another town I can’t say because it’s our last name. Of course we stood next to the sign that says “Welcome to ______” for pictures.
When we saw Kylemore Abbey, with the gorgeous fall leaves in the background, we agreed Kyle would be one of our boy names, which it is.

I’m guessing people aren’t kissing the Blarney stone these days.

ETA: Thinking back more on this, we also enjoyed the Waterford factory tour. Amazing. They had an engraver that would engrave anything on the pieces we bought.

I’m not sure how much any of it would be very entertaining for a 7 year old. Personally, if I were in OP’s shoes, I’d be looking at Disney’s British Isles cruise.

Last edited:
Well, I was in the hair salon when I typed out my last post. I started to look for a link on the DCL website to provide to OP and got sidetracked when I saw the price and that the dates are when I’m already off work for a different cruise. I mentioned it to dh and now he wants to switch to that cruise.
Back in 1995, we were afraid to go to Northern Ireland and he is all pumped up to be able to go now.
Whew, so much for my 4 days of relaxation.

Now that I’m back I can report that we had an awesome time.
We flew into Dublin, grabbed the pricey rental car, and drove to Killarney.
B&Bs, castles, beautiful hikes, crafts, jaunting cars (horse-drawn carriages), and then off to Ballybunion.
Crazy golf (mini-golf) and beach, playground, golf club, Inch beach and Dingle.
Dingle races, dinner with friends at a place with “Good Craic” (good fun, ie music), then off to Lahinch via Kilrush and Kilkee for
more beach with Sea Urchins. Beautiful boutique hotel Vaughan Lodge, Pitch and putt golfing, off to Galway
pedestrian area, Chinese food, then to the Cliffs of Moher, then Oughterard, and finally back to Dublin
Guinness storehouse, whiskey museum, pub, Turkish kebabs, and riding on the double decker bus for DS7.

In 11 days, it rained once for 4 minutes. Lots of Full Irish Breakfasts that I’m told the Irish don’t really eat, but wow, I did.
Lots of “99s with flake”. (Soft serve ice cream cones with a soft chocolate stick stuck into them.)

Now we reset our clocks and get back to work.

Just a note: The Irish people were all lovely, sweet, friendly, and helpful. I kept thinking that they must have trained Walt Disney about customer service.

Last edited:
Oh! And we got to practice our hurling game with a couple of families on two beaches. I’m now a hurling fan.
Also also, DS7 only wants to fly on Aer Lingus for all future trips. Great service there, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!