IPhone deals? Xfinity for cell?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by MKCP5, May 12, 2018.

1. MKCP5

MKCP5 DIS Veteran

So, it's time for a new phone. Mine has been well used and is starting to show signs of trouble. We have verizon service but are not bound by any contracts and are considering switching to Xfinity. They use the Verizon network and seem to be much less expensive. Anyone else use it?

I think I'd like to just buy the phone instead of taking out payments, but man oh man are they expensive!!! They don't give you any incentive for upgrades any longer either. So I am wondering if there is any way to save any $ at all on it.

Let's also just add in that we are leaving on a big vacation in 10 days and I am nervous about switching to Xfinity before we leave the country

So all that being said, does anyone have any tips? Thanks!

2. jasmom1022

jasmom1022 Earning My Ears

I would also love these answers. We currently have Verizon Wireless and our contracts end in July. We just got Xfinity for cable/internet so we are eligible for the wireless. It should be much less expensive than our current Verizon bill.

-Dianne

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Okay, I've had xfinity mobile since November. I ported my xfinity landline, and got the cheap phone, the LG Charge. I'm too cheap :) for a high-end phone.

I'm happy with the service - free calling, free texting. The phone itself, not so much, but as I said, I'm cheap. Next time, maybe I'll upgrade. I have the pay-per-gig plan, and while I haven't yet exceeded three G per month, apparently it's easy to switch between plans.

Anyway, they do require setting up prepay, and they automatically bill your account. Right now there's an offer for a $200 gift card after 90 days of activation.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/shop?tab=devices&page=1

5. Anthony1971

Anthony1971 DIS Veteran

Not a fan of Comcast as they change $$ many things unannounced... although I am stuck with them for cable... there are many backend carriers out there that are very inexpensive. I like to stick with the ones owned by the major companies themselves. Metro Pcs is owned by T-Mobile Both Virgin and Boost are owned by Sprint (you can get good Iphone deals at either but in a service form for Virgin) ATT owns Cricket as far as Verizon I am not sure. Other plans simply operate on one of the networks.... Check around as some places will discount the Iphones and a lot of them will run 20% off any phone codes on occasion or a port in free phone or credit towards any phone.

6. MKCP5

MKCP5 DIS Veteran

There is a great deal on Verizon right now for Iphone. Turn yours in and get 50% off a new one. And of course, because this is how life goes, I ordered a new one, am supposed to pick it up this morning, and dropped mine last night and shattered the screen. I doubt they will give me anything for it now Just so frustrated I could cry. I mean, seriously? In perfect shape to trade in and I dropped it. :(

7. ruadisneyfan2

ruadisneyfan2 DIS Veteran

Dh just got a new iPhone 8+ with ATT. They were offering a 2nd phone for "free" if we added another line, which we don't need. We did that deal 2 yrs ago for my phone and it's not really free when you have to pay monthly service + taxes for the spare line. Still, this might be convenient for some people.
    They were also offering an ipad for $100 with the purchase of an iPhone. Dh declined that as well because we both have fairly new tablets. Mine is from when they had the same offer last year when getting ds a new phone so I took the ipad. It's nice but then I have to pay $10/mo for a separate data plan. I enjoy it but never seem to put a dent in all that data each month. Such a waste with wifi at home and work but may be convenient for others.

8. Judique

Judique Dis Veteran, Beach Lover at BWV, BCV, HHI, VB

I'm a fan of Xfinity mobile at the moment. Bought a Samsung S8 in March for $600 plus tax, with the $250 gift card offer, so the phone before tax was $350. They have a $200 gift card offer right now. The offers have been coming all along - when one expires they stick up a new offer.

I'm by the gig and keep my phone on wifi unless I'm outside a free area. So far only $12 plus tax =$14.06 a month. It's also on Verizon towers in my area.

Also remember that if you have a credit card with cell phone insurance coverage to use it for buying the phone and your billing so you don't have to get extra insurance.

Just an FYI - I had Virgin Mobile and was happy but wanted a different (new) phone. I'm paying less for equipment and service combined then I did at Virgin. Virgin was $43 a month just for service and I could never justify a higher end phone.