Investment opportunities

monica9

DIS Veteran
Hi. Looking into an investment opportunity in Orlando area and need some help. We are looking to buy a condo or something we can rent out to families for a vacation and no idea where to start. Any threads or sites you suggest? Any specific area you suggest? Are there condos at resort facilities we can buy?
thanks for the help

Upatnoon

DIS Veteran
Hi. Looking into an investment opportunity in Orlando area and need some help. We are looking to buy a condo or something we can rent out to families for a vacation and no idea where to start. Any threads or sites you suggest? Any specific area you suggest? Are there condos at resort facilities we can buy?
thanks for the help
There are thousands of rental properties in the Orlando area. Many of them are managed by large property management companies for absentee owners and many are managed by individual owners.

How much do you know about real estate investing vacation rentals? If you don't know anything, I would start by researching property investing in general. Bigger Pockets is a website and youtube channel with lots of information.

I would then visit Orlando and stay in few rentals to understand the product you are trying to invest in. Meet with some real estate agents. Meet some property managers.

Studying up and doing research will keep you from losing a bundle of money.

kathy884

DIS Veteran
Here are some old threads on this board about the subject. I'm no expert for sure, but know I have always been able to rent in the Orlando area cheaper than any other vacation area I have gone to in terms of quality for the price. To me the area has always seemed overbuilt which would concern me as an owner/investor.

If you are renting a vacation condo too, you would be competing with timeshare rentals too. People have overpaid for these timeshares and rent many of these for not much above their annual maintenance fees, and although this is a higher rental price than what condos rent for in communities like Windor Hills, as a vacation renter I go for these timeshare rentals a lot as I really like the resort feel for these places (prefer them to a Windor Hill type community, unless I want a large house with everyone under one roof) and can rent a two or three bedroom condo for the same price as a Disney value room.

Last edited:
  • monica9

DIS Veteran
    Thank you both for the information. I will definitely be looking more in to it. We definitely don’t want to purchase a timeshare as we’d like to rent it out for more than a week a year and maybe one day be snow birds. Thanks for the info.

Carol_

DIS Veteran
    We stayed at the Regal Palms recently and had a great time. We got the whole 4br townhouse for $500 for 3 nights at the end of June. Lazy river with bar managed by resort management. Individual units managed by whichever management company you hire I think...
    The unit was dated but clean and in good repair. Cable, WiFi included.

Princess Haylie

Earning My Ears
    I too have been thinking and looking into an investment condo in Orlando area. Was thinking of vacation rentals but am leaning now towards short/long term rental. Being a total newbie in this and pretty reserved for this sort of thing I want to be cautious as I can't afford 2 mortgages so continuous revenue is critical.

I've been talking to some realtors and have found a couple of management property company but haven't talked to them yet. I don't even know if I can swing it but I want to divest and start branching out some with my money.

I don't have too much info to share but if I do I'll forward it on.

Upatnoon

DIS Veteran
    I too have been thinking and looking into an investment condo in Orlando area. Was thinking of vacation rentals but am leaning now towards short/long term rental. Being a total newbie in this and pretty reserved for this sort of thing I want to be cautious as I can't afford 2 mortgages so continuous revenue is critical.

I've been talking to some realtors and have found a couple of management property company but haven't talked to them yet. I don't even know if I can swing it but I want to divest and start branching out some with my money.

I don't have too much info to share but if I do I'll forward it on.
    While it may seem more exciting to start real estate investing in a far-off city, I would first look at where you live now to start.

In your hometown, you know the market. If something goes wrong you are right there to fix the issue. You can more quickly find people to help you.

I don't want to throw cold water on anyone's dreams, but give it some thought.

• Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.