Introducing kids to Star Wars pre-visit

TammyLynn33

DIS Veteran
Hello
I would like my boys 5,6 at vacation to k is a little bit about Star Wars before we go
But I know nothing ..
Which makes this difficult ..
Thank you

the first thing to do would be for YOU to watch as many films as you can, so that you are familar with the world. Everyone has their own view of the films and which order to watch them. This is the way I watch them

Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace
Episode 2 - Attack of The Clones
Episode 3 - Revenge of The Sith
Rogue One
Episode 4 - A New Hope
Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back
Episode 6 - Return of The Jedi
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi

Essentially the whole story is about a boy, Anakin, who has extra ordinary powers. The Jedi are like a military or army, they seek out people with extra powers and train them to use their powers for good. Anakin gets found by the Jedi, who train him, just like any of their other recruits. However, along the way, he meets people who use their powers for bad, ie the dark side. He has to make choices as he grows from boy to man.

The films trace his journey from a slave boy, to young man, to mature man. They show the world around him, and how his actions and choices effect others. Its a story of the innocence of a young boy, became corrupted and then his redemption and legacy.

The original 3 films,
Episode 4 - A New Hope
are the middle part of the story

the 1990's 3 films
are the start of the story

and the new 200's films are the end of the story and what happened next.

So what you are saying is I need to push my trip back to catch them up? Ha ha ha

the first thing to do would be for YOU to watch as many films as you can, so that you are familar with the world. Everyone has their own view of the films and which order to watch them. This is the way I watch them

Rogue One
Episode 4 - A New Hope
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi

Essentially the whole story is about a boy, Anakin, who has extra ordinary powers. The Jedi are like a military or army, they seek out people with extra powers and train them to use their powers for good. Anakin gets found by the Jedi, who train him, just like any of their other recruits. However, along the way, he meets people who use their powers for bad, ie the dark side. He has to make choices as he grows from boy to man.

The films trace his journey from a slave boy, to young man, to mature man. They show the world around him, and how his actions and choices effect others. Its a story of the innocence of a young boy, became corrupted and then his redemption and legacy.

The original 3 films,
Episode 4 - A New Hope
are the middle part of the story

the 1990's 3 films
are the start of the story

and the new 200's films are the end of the story and what happened next.

Agree with PP - just let them watch the movies. SW isn't a hidden secret. The 3 and 4 year old already know the first 6 very well.

You can skip the prequel movies if you want and just do Star Wars A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. I would then do a Force Awakens. The Force Awake introduces BB8, Kylo Ren both who you can see at HS, it also has Ren, Poe and Finn who are the leads of the new trilogy. I think all the movies are on HBO Go I think. Not totally sure. The Last Jedi is on Netflix but that one is pretty dark.

Depending on your kids, they may find the movies scary. My son watched a few minutes of New Hope and was done. But he loves Star Wars books and the Clone Wars cartoon, which is available on Netflix.

If your kids are first timers to Star Wars before you watch the movies is get your kids some plush characters to get to know and you can easily get Funko plushes of Star Wars characters real cheap at Hot Topic and they can also be used as movie buddies for kids to hug at the scary parts and bedtime buddies as well. For girls I would get them a Queen Amidala doll and Princess Leia doll as well. For older kids introduce them to The Mandalorian and go on from there and as a reward get a Grogu plush for younger kids to hug while watching the show. My uncle is a Star Wars fan and got me started liking it as well

At that age, books tailored to their age level might be better than the movies (though it helps if you know the movies and can explain who's who in the books). My son loves his pre-k/kindergarten Star Wars workbooks, Star Wars ABCs and 1,2,3s books, and watched A New Hope with us. Midway into Empire Strikes Back, he asked us to turn it off because it was getting too scary for him.

My 4yo is really into Star Wars right now, started with the original trilogy then watched the animated series Rebels. Once your boys see Darth Vader and the light sabers they'll be in love. My son wants to wear his Darth Vader shirt every day under his school uniform, he says everything else isn't "cool". Talks about wanting to give Darth Vader a hug when we go to WDW, not sure if Vader is even there though.

I actually really like the Lego series’ the Droid Tales and the Yoda Chronicles - they summed things up pretty well and I found them super amusing.

Heh I watched all those with our daughters (probably around 7 and 5 at the time). I found them to hit the story beats of the first two trilogies pretty well and it was funny (I liked Darth Vader calling Bob Fett “Joe Jetpack). Then we watched A New Hope and my younger daughter hated because it wasn’t funny (in her defense a lot of the opening is just C3PO and R2-D2 puttering around in the Tatooine desert) . We haven’t watched any Stars Wars movies or shows since.

I must have read the Little Golden Book versions of the movies at least 100 times each to my two boys. My (almost) 5 year old still asks for them every once in awhile. They do a great job of summarizing the movies, so that when you're ready to watch them with the kids, they will have an idea of what to expect.

I actually really like the Lego series’ the Droid Tales and the Yoda Chronicles - they summed things up pretty well and I found them super amusing. View attachment 559641
I second watching all LEGO Star Wars shows. The holiday special on Disney+ is watched weekly by my 5&7 year old girls. They moved on to the Clone Wars(cartoon) with dad on Saturdays. It’s amazing how much they retain about characters, etc. Probably a 2 year process to get through all the cartoons(they don’t watch a lot of tv) and we have started the live action movies this past year.

I second watching all LEGO Star Wars shows. The holiday special on Disney+ is watched weekly by my 5&7 year old girls. They moved on to the Clone Wars(cartoon) with dad on Saturdays. It’s amazing how much they retain about characters, etc. Probably a 2 year process to get through all the cartoons(they don’t watch a lot of tv) and we have started the live action movies this past year.
Another cartoon your girls will love is the Star Wars Forces Of Destiny cartoon shorts that focuses on the female characters in Star Wars and it is great. Hasbro also has dolls based on that series as well and will be perfect for your daughters after they see the cartoon. Funko also has a plush doll of Rey too that your daughter will like to cuddle and for your other daughter you can get her a Funko Han Solo plush to cuddle at bedtime as well
Hope your girls enjoy Star Wars as much as I do

My cousin's son is now currently Star Wars obsessed and he just loves the character BB8 and he adores Star Wars so much that my uncle threw him a Star Wars themed birthday party and I can tell you he's just mad about Star Wars. It won't be long till my cousin buys her son a plush Grogu and my uncle will watch The Mandalorian soon

Let them watch the movie you will have one of 2 reactions.

1 - this is lame dude the 80's want their movies back
2 - awesome where can we see more of this

My Grandson is 6, and can tell you everything about stars wars, now his parents are into it, He loves it!!!

Watch the movies!!! and the Force will take it from there...There are kids books as well, Books a Million has some stuff. Have a movie marathon..

May the Force be with you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter