Internet message board question.

Flowers12

Mouseketeer
Genuinely curious. If you start a thread, are you required to post a follow up?? Doesn’t matter where. If so, why? And if you don’t think so, why also?

Genuinely curious. If you start a thread, are you required to post a follow up?? Doesn’t matter where. If so, why? And if you don’t think so, why also?
Certainly not required, but I feel common courtesy would prompt one to post a follow up of some sort. If nothing else, at least a thank you of some sort for the information and/or replies given.

:rolleyes1This has been discussed a lot over the years and everybody has their own sense of etiquette. Of course an OP doesn’t have to post an update, or even reply to responses in the thread. You’ve probably noticed already that when things get awkward or even just the sheer volume of posts grows unwieldy, the OP backs away. I think we’d all like to have it be similar to conversations IRL where we’re actually interacting in real-time, but it’s not that.

Certainly not required, but I feel common courtesy would prompt one to post a follow up of some sort. If nothing else, at least a thank you of some sort for the information and/or replies given.

Agreeing 100% with Dan.

There is a poster here, been on for years, never posts anything inflammatory by any means, but does ask for help/assistance or opinions on fairly simple matters. I've often posted responses. I sometimes find the queries interesting enough to revisit the thread to see others' responses. It took me a while to notice that this poster NEVER comes back to even comment or say whether something was helpful, whether or not they agree/disagree. Nothing. I don't need to spend my time here in a one-sided conversation; that's not why a visit a message board. Not only do I want information, but I'd like some interaction.

Agreeing 100% with Dan.

There is a poster here, been on for years, never posts anything inflammatory by any means, but does ask for help/assistance or opinions on fairly simple matters. I've often posted responses. I sometimes find the queries interesting enough to revisit the thread to see others' responses. It took me a while to notice that this poster NEVER comes back to even comment or say whether something was helpful, whether or not they agree/disagree. Nothing. I don't need to spend my time here in a one-sided conversation; that's not why a visit a message board. Not only do I want information, but I'd like some interaction.
Everyone now frantically checking that this isn’t them!😉😂

Not required and shouldn’t be expected either.

A few months ago someone posted to a five year old thread asking for an update. I thought was odd. Not something I would do.

If the person took the time to ask a question, it seems proper to at least return to acknowledge if the advice others posted was helpful. Some people post vague questions that lack detail and then when we ask for clarification it just seems pointless if they never return for follow-up. Why bother to post a question if you really don't care what the replies are? Someone who starts a lot of controversial threads just to start arguments immediately goes on my 'ignore' list.......LOL.

I totally agree with this, and while I don't post many starter threads, I do try to follow up on the thread if I do. Fairly certain I have never started anything controversial, in fact, I think most of my threads barely require any response at all:) Guess I'm boring (maybe a New Year's resolution to be more controversial?).

In the same vain, I think sometimes posters sort of make up a happy or good ending just to make a contentious thread go away.

Some topics can get controversial here fairly quickly, I can certainly understand the desire to make the thread resolve if someone has anxiety about conflict (speaking from someone who can experience anxiety over conflict). There are a lot of keyboard warriors on the internet. But even baring that, some of the topics that come up stir strong emotions in some people and it certainly comes through in some of the threads I think even when people aren't intending to be controversial or confrontational. It's very hard to interpret tone in text.

If someone is truly looking for input, I think it just makes sense to return and let us know if what we provided was helpful. If the information wasn't helpful then by clarifying the question, you might get more useful input. I am not talking about those who are perhaps bored and seem to post endless chit/chat topics like 'what color blue is the sky today where you live?'

If someone is truly looking for input, I think it just makes sense to return and let us know if what we provided was helpful. If the information wasn't helpful then by clarifying the question, you might get more useful input. I am not talking about those who are perhaps bored and seem to post endless chit/chat topics like 'what color blue is the sky today where you live?'

Those are the best kinds of threads though.

I think if someone asks a question, not an opinion, like "where is a good place to eat near the Smithsonian?" If people take the time to answer and give links and suggestions, it is common courtesy to respond to at least show that you appreciate their effort.
That more of a fb question, IMO. I don’t see a lot of that on here or any other message boards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!