Interesting Thought

kemmerlinj2

Mouseketeer
Just watched today's Daily Fix and had a thought. Anyone else out there think it would be a great showdown for Universal to open their third gate with Nintendo World during the celebration for Disney's 50th anniversary?!?

An interesting thought but I feel a new theme park would have to be in the works already. They are less than 5 years away from 2021. Sure they could have it done but to have it done right they would likely need to start like now. Volcano Bay was a brand new build and was only a water park and not everything was operating or ready for opening day.

A great showdown might not be great business. Yes, Disney and Universal are competing with each other, and because of that they have been stepping up their game over and over again. Your scenario would be akin to a Game of Thrones finale being aired during the superbowl. Companies plan these launches specifically to avoid competition. When new blockbuster movie comes out, competing studios will delay their blockbusters release.

Universal could surely open a new gate during 2021, but they have no financial interest in doing so. The only possible interest they would have would be to take Disney's revenue down a notch during a period of expected highs, even at their own expense, and I don't think Comcast is so petty.

I tend to agree with PJ that it might not be the best decision for Universal to open a new gate the same year as people are focusing on WDW (though, they did open Volcano Bay the same week as Disney opened Pandora, so what do I know)

What I would do is plan for the opening to be be in like 2022 or 2023 and market the heck out of it to the people in town for WDW's 50th - and keep up their current marketing strategy with the kids putting away their (clearly) Disney things and telling their parents they are ready for the next level (so position it that, "it's great you are here to celebrate this old park that is now 50 years old - next time come experience our new hotness!")

The amount of premium funds you'd have to spend to make an entirely new park happen in five years is truly staggering. I can't see that happening ... or at least I can't see it happening just to take the shine off of WDW's 50th celebrations.

And look, there's no one more thrilled than me to see Universal Florida moving towards a Nintendo park. But do it right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter