Interesting Article On Kids Clubs On Cruise Ships...

TAKE OFF YOUR CLOTHES??????? Oh my goodness. That makes the chatty Disney counselors who couldn't be bothered look pretty reliable.

Generally a good article. Did you notice that the picture is from a Disney ship. I'd recognize the yellow shirts anywhere and the kids are coloring animation cells. At least they chose the BEST to illustrate the article.

FYI, the DCL counselors are carefully screened. They have to have a college degree and at least 2 years experience working with GROUPS of kids and they go thorough background check. There are also multiple interviews with different people focusing a lot on attitude and behavioral questions. Then when they're hired, they have three days training in Orlando BEFORE they get on the ship. After they get on the ship, they have one week of intensive training and then have working training for another 3 weeks.

The counselors are a salaried position. DCL DOES read the evaluations the guests complete so if you have a praise or a pan, be sure to put in on the eval. Positive mentions by NAME on evals get rewards and negative mentions by name get counseling to improve their performance.

Hopefully my sis doesn't see this, it will get her thinking again! She is concerned about what her 13 year old will do. I don't think her kid would do this but, sis said, "how will I keep her from going to someones room?!" Now she will think, "what is going to happen in the kids club?! :sad2:

I've given this kind of thing much thought. In todays world you do need to be careful, Disney or not. I've personally known Disney workers who are not in the right positions. I'm certainly not knocking Disney, but know if it can happen there, (and I know It does), it can happen anywhere. Of coarse, as soon as there is a recognized problem Disney takes care of it. I'm just saying as parents we all have to not be totally trusting just because it's Disney.....it can happen anywhere..

Thanks for the article.
So far my kids and I have had nothing but positive experiences with the counsellors. Like everywhere in this world, even cruise lines will have a few nuts that have to be watched out for. But compared to some of the deviants who manage to find work in public schools, I think DCL's counsellors are a cut above.

Even with my high comfort level, I still take the time to ask my kids about the program and their counsellors. Not only does it give me a chance to feel out my kids for what goes on, it lets them know I care.

DisneyNutMary said:
Thanks for the article.
So far my kids and I have had nothing but positive experiences with the counsellors. Like everywhere in this world, even cruise lines will have a few nuts that have to be watched out for. But compared to some of the deviants who manage to find work in public schools, I think DCL's counsellors are a cut above.

Even with my high comfort level, I still take the time to ask my kids about the program and their counsellors. Not only does it give me a chance to feel out my kids for what goes on, it lets them know I care.

My daughter has had nothing but postive interactions with the counsellors and formed some lasting friendships (some even remember her from prior cruises and it's like a reunion of sorts when we go back). The counsellors always go out of their way to treat her well. It helps that my daughter is very outgoing. :cheer2: :cheer2:

As a parent, though, the most important factor is to be informed of what they are doing, whether it be on a cruise or in their every day life.

Deviants could be anywhere, a sad testament of our world. Lucky for us, one year my daughter was on a Disney cruise, receiving great treatment, as usual from the counselors, while her then pre-kindergarten teacher (in a private school) who was on the verge of being fired, told her class (during her last week of employment) that there was no such thing as Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and that they should all wake up and get a grip. Thank God that he put our family on the Disney Magic so she did not hear any of this. She still believes in Santa ( of course she is in another school). :banana: :banana: .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!