Insurance

disneykins

DIS Veteran
I am taking adult son, daughter and son in law and their 2 year old to Disney World in December 2023. I have booked OKW (I own there) for a 2 BR for 7 nights. I will be buying APs for DW and myself and 5 or 6 day passes for the other 3 adults and grandson (I guess he's free). We are driving down but I am buying 4 airline tickets for the others. It probably adds up to about $6,000 CAD with tickets and flights. My question is, how can I insure this expense? We never get insurance for our trips, figuring we can always re-book our DVC if we have to and passes don't start until you actually use them, so again we can always use them in the future. With jobs changing rules all the time and a toddler who could get sick at the wrong time, I think I would like to insure against a big loss. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Tony

So are you looking for trip cancellation insurance? Does your credit card have free travel insurance? If not, any of the travel insurance companies will have that to purchase (i.e., Manulife, Allianz, CAA, etc)

I don't really think you can - most credit card companies won't insure a timeshare rental regardless and besides the point you are using your own points (so no receipts to submit) - DVC offers a plan to insure the point value itself but from the last time I looked it it it was awful. I suspect the best you could likely do is try to flip the reservation last minute either in the rental forum here or via a broker to recover some of the value. which is likely why you see so many of them.

Also from what I can recall trip cancellation insurance won't likely cover the cost of the tickets either as they maintain their cash value if not used, but it should cover the flights assuming you have a valid reason (in terms of the insurance) for canceling. You could also book *Flex flights that would let you cancel the flights last minute.

Best you could likely do is get something bespoke from a broker that handles that type of thing but it's likely to be so high as to not be worth the value.... if you haven't confirmed everything it might almost be best to book the family cash so you could at least cancel and get a refund that way if you are thinking your plans aren't 100%. Obviously not ideal as a DVC member but I don't really know if you have any other options insurance wise.

I don't really think you can - most credit card companies won't insure a timeshare rental regardless and besides the point you are using your own points (so no receipts to submit) - DVC offers a plan to insure the point value itself but from the last time I looked it it it was awful. I suspect the best you could likely do is try to flip the reservation last minute either in the rental forum here or via a broker to recover some of the value. which is likely why you see so many of them.

Also from what I can recall trip cancellation insurance won't likely cover the cost of the tickets either as they maintain their cash value if not used, but it should cover the flights assuming you have a valid reason (in terms of the insurance) for canceling. You could also book *Flex flights that would let you cancel the flights last minute.

Best you could likely do is get something bespoke from a broker that handles that type of thing but it's likely to be so high as to not be worth the value.... if you haven't confirmed everything it might almost be best to book the family cash so you could at least cancel and get a refund that way if you are thinking your plans aren't 100%. Obviously not ideal as a DVC member but I don't really know if you have any other options insurance wise.
That's basically what I figured. So I might as well just book the flights and get insurance (or flex flights) on them.
Thanks,
Tony

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter