Insurance - lookback period

narsibvl

DIS Veteran
Paging all insurance experts.

Does anybody understand what exactly is the lookback period mentioned against the PEC waiver ?

Paging all insurance experts.

Does anybody understand what exactly is the lookback period mentioned against the PEC waiver ?
Here's the explanation from www.tripinsurancestore.com. They have a *great* FAQ.

Q. What do you mean by the Lookback Period?
A. A period of 60, 90 to 180 days prior to the day you buy Travel Insurance. The Lookback Period may apply to you in two situations:

1. If you don't insure the full prepaid, non-refundable cost of your trip or
  2. If today is past the deadline date to waive the pre-existing condition exclusion
The length of the lookback period varies depending on the policy & the insurance company. Basically, if you have a medical condition during that lookback period, and then it re-occurs (or continues) after you buy the insurance, the condition is considered pre-existing, and you're not covered unless you have a pre-existing condition waiver or have purchased "cancel for any reason" coverage. (There are certain exclusions for conditions that are "controlled").

Sayhello

I am sufficiently uncomfortable with dealing with a non-PEC-waivered policy that I will always buy one with a PEC waiver. That said, if I understand lookbacks correctly (and I would call the insurance company to verify this):

The lookback refers to the number of days back from your date of purchase they "look back" to see if you or your family members have been treated for any illness, or consulted for any illness, or had a change in your medication.

So, lets say that you, your spouse and your children are perfectly healthy, and you're packing for your cruise and getting ready to go to the airport when you get a call that your mother, who has been ill for years, has died, and you will not be able to take your cruise.

Do you get your money back? No.

Because your mother was ill during the lookback period, her death is not a covered event.

On the other hand, let's say you and your family have been perfectly healthy, you buy the insurance, you're packed and ready to go to the airport, and your oldest son doubles over in pain with appendicitis.

Do you get your money back? Yes. Because your son was not ill during the lookback period.

Me, myself, I think it's just too dangerous to travel without a PEC waiver. They could decide anything for which you were treated, from a hangnail to a wart, contributed sufficiently to your present condition that they could deny the claim. You could fight it, but your court costs would probably exceed your financial return It's just better to be safe, IMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter