Insulin and used syringes

norhel

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone.

We are going to Disney World later this year, and its higly likely that my mom will be using insulin in the liquid state.
As the insulin will have to be kept kept cold, how good is the in room fridge for this at All Star Music?
And what to do with used syringes while at the hotel? The syringes goes in the regular garbage here in Norway, but what's the procedure for used syringes at Disney?

I've already asked Disney, but the reply didn't give me too much information.

Thanks.

Hello everyone.

We are going to Disney World later this year, and its higly likely that my mom will be using insulin in the liquid state.
As the insulin will have to be kept kept cold, how good is the in room fridge for this at All Star Music?
And what to do with used syringes while at the hotel? The syringes goes in the regular garbage here in Norway, but what's the procedure for used syringes at Disney?

Thanks.
it has been years but adopted daughter let housekeeping know about used syringes and she was given a container to place used ones. assume it is still the same

You can request a “Sharps” container to dispose of used needles. They are also available is most -if not all - public restrooms at the parks and resorts.

The fridges are dorm-style and in my opinion not very consistent. They may freeze something, especially at the back, or it may barely keep an item cool. My DH uses FRIO packs for his insulin and refrigerated meds.

Enjoy your vacation!

Hello everyone.

Thanks.
Do not use the fridge in the hotel room I have frozen a few insulin bottles in them I would buy a frio bag and just use those

Ask for a sharps container for the syringes and us it

Thanks for the replies everyone
We'll request a sharps container when we are there and we'll look in to the suggestions regarding the bags.

Depending on where you're staying, Disney may have installed sharps containers in the bathrooms of the resorts' rooms. I have a vague recollection of seeing them in one of the bathrooms in one of the rooms we stayed at last year (AKV, BCV, OR BLT)....or maybe I'm remembering the public restrooms in the resorts

The public restrooms of the resorts should all have the sharps containers on the wall.

Depending on where you're staying, Disney may have installed sharps containers in the bathrooms of the resorts' rooms. I have a vague recollection of seeing them in one of the bathrooms in one of the rooms we stayed at last year (AKV, BCV, OR BLT)....or maybe I'm remembering the public restrooms in the resorts

The public restrooms of the resorts should all have the sharps containers on the wall.
They did not have any I. The BLT or AKV but they did have them in the public bathroom I would either bring an empty bottle of soda ( the plastic kind) or just ask for a sharp container.

They did not have any I. The BLT or AKV but they did have them in the public bathroom I would either bring an empty bottle of soda ( the plastic kind) or just ask for a sharp container.
You will find sharps containers in all public restrooms and in First Aid at the parks. You csn get an appropriate sharps container from Housekeeping at your resort.

Empty soda bottles are not considered safe for syringes or lancets. sharps containers need to be rigid, puncture proof plastic. Any put into a container that doesn’t meet that definition will need to be put into one by Housekeeping before they dispose of it.

I didn't know to ask for a sharps container. Instead I have used an empty water bottle to dispose of my syringes.I leave it out on the bathroom counter and when I leave put a cap on it and haul it home.
Like camping---pack it in, pack it out! Next time I will ask for the sharps container. I am somewhat surprised housekeeping has never offered this to me when they saw my makeshift container on the counter.

Last edited:
My daughter has to use medication that needs refrigeration. It is in syringes. She has a great travel bag that will keep it cold until we get to our villa. We are DVC and almost always stay in 2 bedroom villas. We have a full size fridge. I don't know about the smaller size ones. Like others have said I don't know if I would trust those. Sorry can't help with that.

As for the syringes she uses the public sharp containers. They are usually found at the pools or the restrooms in the lobbies. Very easy. If that doesn't work for you request one.

Have a great trip and enjoy The Magic!!

Thanks! There were three of us in the studio so I usually had to run down to the public restroom if someone else was in there. Lol

I didn't know to ask for a sharps container. Instead I have used an empty water bottle to dispose of my syringes.I leave it out on the bathroom counter and when I leave put a cap on it and haul it home.
Like camping---pack it in, pack it out! Next time I will ask for the sharps container. I am somewhat surprised housekeeping has never offered this to me when they see my makeshift container on the counter.

Perhaps they thought you were saving them, as you didn't dispose of them?

I carry a needle clipper and clip off the needle of the syringe before placing in the trash. I will ask for a sharps container

my adopted daughter was told by housekeeping that they were not allowed to touch nonsupplied containers for safety reasons so that could be reason they didn't take them
Yes.
While you are there, Housekeeping would not be allowed to touch them in a non-standard container.

If it’s left in the room after the guest leaves, they would need to deal with it, but it’s not a safe situation.

We stay at all star music every year and my wife is diabetic. We ask for a sharps container when we check in. The refirgerator is fine for storing your insulin. In 10 years we have never had a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter