Inside or ocean view? What to do?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by SaraSpringsIsHome, Mar 13, 2018.

1. SaraSpringsIsHome

SaraSpringsIsHome Too excited to sleep!

We are currently booked in a 10A, room 6671 (aft) on the Fantasy for next January. We could change staterooms to a 9B, room 2010 (mid) for $42.

I just don’t know what to do! I think we would like being on deck 6, since it’s not a long walk up or down to food and entertainment. Neither of us has been on the Fantasy (I have taken 5 cruises, but only on the classic ships, DH has never cruised), so the magic porthole might be fun.

But, it’s only $42 total to have a real porthole for the week! Room 2010 is also not a connecting room, while 6671 is.

Any suggestions on which is the “best” room? What would you do?

2. lklgoodman

lklgoodman DIS Veteran

We sailed on the Fantasy last year before the dry dock. We were in an aft cabin and the vibrations were horrible. It felt like I was sleeping on top of a jack hammer. So I will never book a room in the aft area on the Fantasy again. It's too bad, because otherwise I loved the cabin. We always get OV, because I love the natural sunlight.

SaraSpringsIsHome likes this.
  3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Let Dreams Unlimited Travel plan your perfect Disney vacation!

4. Shanti

Shanti Momketeer

1. The Fantasy has some kind of mechanical (or whatever, I don't know the cause) issue that sometimes causes unusually severe vibrations in the aft. This is well-documented by many traveler reports, and is unique to the Fantasy (not the Dream). So I would avoid the aft of the Fantasy.

2. Whether you would enjoy an inside depends on how many people you have imo. We liked our inside on the Fantasy. It was comfortable, pretty & cozy, and the magic porthole was a very special touch that we enjoyed. But we were just 2 people. I wouldn't recommend it for more than two people, or at most, two parents traveling with a small child. I wouldn't want an inside with three adults, or even with two adults and one teen.

5. mswhittaker

mswhittaker Earning My Ears

I’ve always been on the aft in the fantasy and it’s fine for me. We always choose floor 7 as well (and always a balcony so my vote is for the view over interior). I was center ship on Magic and was seasick for 4 of the 7 nights.

6. DCSWO

DCSWO Extra Disney magic

I would always pick the ocean view for the sunlight, and if someone is prone to sea sickness, being able to see the water and the horizon always helps. I haven't sailed on Fantasy yet but the consensus seems to be that aft cabins are not as desirable due to the vibration issue. As for distance from staterooms to dining and entertainment, you are never that far way regardless of where your cabin is. Enjoy your cruise!

7. MUN

MUN DIS Veteran

For $42 I would switch to the Oceanview room.

8. RedSox68

RedSox68 Just working to pay for cruising

I would always go for a window. Never done inside because I know I couldn't stand it without some natural light. And for $42 that's a good deal.

9. daedelus

daedelus This will be my greatest performance!

We've done both and for the scant amount of $$, definitely go with Oceanview. We were perfectly happy with Inside rooms (nice and dark for sleeping), but that huge porthole is just amazing!

mevelandry and SaraSpringsIsHome like this.
  10. SaraSpringsIsHome

SaraSpringsIsHome Too excited to sleep!

I guess I already had made my decision, so thank you all for affirming said decision :rotfl:

9B, here we come! I’ve only ever stayed in 11’s on the classic ships, so both the porthole and the split bath will be a treat and an upgrade.

11. Catvondita

Catvondita A Quirky Strange Girl in a Disney World

I would always opt for something with at least a real window. I get really claustrophobic. Plus if its only a few extra bucks I think its worth it.

Spork24 likes this.
  12. RedSox68

Ohhh, the split baths -- you won't regret it. Enjoy!

Jenlynn3 and MUN like this.
  13. RedSox68

I am surprised that other cruise lines haven't grabbed onto the split bathroom concept. One of Disney's best ideas ;)

MelSpees, Shanti and cheribelle like this.
  14. Shanti

Shanti Momketeer

Yes, but the OP won't have the huge porthole on deck 2, just the medium one. It can still be fantastic, though.

15. h3kta

h3kta Earning My Ears

Now you folks have me worried with all the talk about vibrations. We are booked for the 11 day southern carib. in aft (7th floor).

16. NancyIL

NancyIL DIS Veteran

I don’t care for the split baths, as neither has everything you need in one place. Pee in one, then move to the other bathroom to shower. It’s a PITA to me!

mevelandry likes this.
  17. LAX

LAX DIS Veteran

Just out of curiosity, are the inside cabins on DCL in such high demand that they command a premium similar to an oceanview cabin? I remember pricing out inside vs. oceanview vs verandah cabins when I booked my cruise and noticed the price difference between the inside & oceanview wasn't that much either.

LAX

18. mevelandry

mevelandry DIS Veteran

For 42$ I'd do it!

19. ludari

ludari DIS Veteran

Fro $42 I would change rooms.

20. RedSox68

When all three of us are in one room, I love it -- one can take a shower and if someone has to use the bathroom, there's no problem. When I'm on other ships, I feel the loss of that extra space for another person to get ready.

MelSpees and Shanti like this.
  21. Shanti

Shanti Momketeer

Look at the online reviews for your particular cabin (Fantasy only- you have to check each individual review to verify that) and see if you're comfortable with them.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomlist.cfm

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018