infertility clinic implants wrong embryos

Sad story, for sure. What would I do? Cry, keep trying, who knows? I'd hate to be in that situation and have to figure it out. So sad for that mom.

What could you do? The infants are not yours. Kudos for them for giving the babies to their bio parents right away instead of dragging it out and being forced to transfer them once the children bonded.

Oh, I agree that the babies belong with their biological parents. It's just so sad that the woman paid over $100,000 and ended up being a surrogate for other couples. which is a blessing for those other couples -- I just hope the woman has enough viable eggs left in her system to try again. The article doesn't say how old she is, but she's not getting any younger.

My heart ached when I read this story. Having carried twins myself, it was no doubt a huge stress on her body. Not to mention having to part with babies you worried and bonded with for 9 months. Plus, now the twin boys (although not biologically related) will likely never see each other again. And to top that off the clinic can't locate the birth mother's own embryos! Horrible!!!

Oh my gosh! This was my daughter's huge fear during her IVF journey. We have beautiful baby Leo as a result. She's contemplating trying one more time. I hope she doesn't see this article.

enhance

enhance

This is a sad story, but I do wonder what happened? Did someone drop the real ones and replace them with some randoms in the freezer? Was it a fluke? Worse, was it on purpose? The babies were not even related to each other. This is weird. I hope they are able to figure out what happened and I hope they are compensated.

Very odd story. My twins are from IVF, and they were incredibly careful with making sure the embryos which were implanted were mine. Everything was labeled. *I* personally verified that the name on the label was mine. The doctor verified it out loud AND a nurse did as well. Three people (at least) compared my ID bracelet with the labeling on the petri dish (it's not a test tube, despite the moniker "test tube baby"). It's baffling how this could happen AND be two different biological children! Almost HAD to be deliberate. I don't see how this was an "innocent" mix up. That woman should be paid millions, and promptly. Ridiculously awful mistake. A twin pregnancy is no joke at all.

That's heartbreaking. It won't fix things, but someone needs to back up the money truck. And hopefully some other fertility clinic will step in and help.

They definitely deserve to "win" that lawsuit.
I wish I lived in their area and could be on that jury.

What could you do? The infants are not yours. Kudos for them for giving the babies to their bio parents right away instead of dragging it out and being forced to transfer them once the children bonded.
Absolutely! Big kudos to them for doing the right thing.

I, too, am an infertility/IVF patient, and this was one of my worst nightmares. Thankfully, our son (from a donor egg/DH's sperm) came out looking EXACTLY like DH, plus their recent DNA test puts them at a 49.3% "father/son" match, so there's no doubt. Infertility is such a gut-wrenching, emotionally draining experience as it is, I actually have been diagnosed with PTSD from it (and a few other related experiences)...to have carried and given birth to 2 children, only to later find out that they're not yours and you can't keep them...OMG, even just thinking about it now makes my stomach do somersaults. My heart absolutely aches for this couple. There's no way money will fix it, but the clinic does need to pay up.

It sounds like a two-bit operation if things were that messed up. I wonder, from the sound of it, if some of this was done "online" and involved mailing frozen embryos if it was a "worldwide operation". If so, that might account for how there could be such mix ups as opposed to going to a local clinic. Packages arrive and aren't sorted or stored correctly, essentially. Just a guess.

Our twins were also born via IVF, but all of our embryos were frozen (as my ovaries hyperstimulated from that one cycle we did, so we had to wait) - that might be more where the "test tube" term comes from. They place three embryos in each straw, or pipette, and they are then stored in liquid nitrogen. And yes, a LOT of checking is done over and over to make sure the right embryos are stored and placed into the right mother when the time comes. (And there are a lot of legalities.) With ours, as I was on the table, after the doctor placed the embryos into my uterus, they then took the pipette and examined it under a microscope to make sure there was nothing left inside, which is part of the standard procedure.

We used a top clinic, deliberately. It wasn't always convenient as it was a distance from my home, but that's where I wanted to go, and in retrospect, it was the right decision. As I became pregnant on the first try, we had other embryos in storage for many years. (I had a complication with pregnancy that made another pregnancy unsafe.) Rather than discard them, we later gave them to another couple. They flew, frozen, across the country. That couple used all of them and successfully gave birth to other children, the point being that 100% of our embryos survived the thaw, and of those children that were born, all were 100% healthy. That is a testament to the care that was taken by the clinic we used. Not all embryos are of freezable quality, so they have determinations to make during these processes. The reason I am saying this is for those reading who may be thinking about doing IVF: go to the best clinic you can.

I am very sad for this couple, and somewhat enraged that this clinic was so careless with these potential lives. Clinics are regulated. I suppose we'll be hearing details of what happened in the days to come. If it's awful, it's going to give all of them a bad name, when that's not really the case.

What's sad is if this lady had to have a c section she may have to wait over a year to even get pregnant and heal to allow another pregnancy. And with infertility the longer you wait the harder it can be. They need to give her back her money and all the money her pregnancy cost.

It sounds like a two-bit operation if things were that messed up. I wonder, from the sound of it, if some of this was done "online" and involved mailing frozen embryos if it was a "worldwide operation". If so, that might account for how there could be such mix ups as opposed to going to a local clinic. Packages arrive and aren't sorted or stored correctly, essentially. Just a guess.

Our twins were also born via IVF, but all of our embryos were frozen (as my ovaries hyperstimulated from that one cycle we did, so we had to wait) - that might be more where the "test tube" term comes from. They place three embryos in each straw, or pipette, and they are then stored in liquid nitrogen. And yes, a LOT of checking is done over and over to make sure the right embryos are stored and placed into the right mother when the time comes. (And there are a lot of legalities.) With ours, as I was on the table, after the doctor placed the embryos into my uterus, they then took the pipette and examined it under a microscope to make sure there was nothing left inside, which is part of the standard procedure.

We used a top clinic, deliberately. It wasn't always convenient as it was a distance from my home, but that's where I wanted to go, and in retrospect, it was the right decision. As I became pregnant on the first try, we had other embryos in storage for many years. (I had a complication with pregnancy that made another pregnancy unsafe.) Rather than discard them, we later gave them to another couple. They flew, frozen, across the country. That couple used all of them and successfully gave birth to other children, the point being that 100% of our embryos survived the thaw, and of those children that were born, all were 100% healthy. That is a testament to the care that was taken by the clinic we used. Not all embryos are of freezable quality, so they have determinations to make during these processes. The reason I am saying this is for those reading who may be thinking about doing IVF: go to the best clinic you can.

I am very sad for this couple, and somewhat enraged that this clinic was so careless with these potential lives. Clinics are regulated. I suppose we'll be hearing details of what happened in the days to come. If it's awful, it's going to give all of them a bad name, when that's not really the case.
[/QUOTE

I'm happy for you that you were able to have your children. How wonderful to offer your embryos to other couples - I didn't realize this was done, truly a beautiful thing.

I'm happy for you that you were able to have your children. How wonderful to offer your embryos to other couples - I didn't realize this was done, truly a beautiful thing.
Thanks. To clarify, we didn't give them to other couples, we gave them to one couple, that we chose, and who chose us, through a licensed adoption agency in operation for over 50 years. It was an open process, with lots of disclosure and sharing of information, and we are all still in touch. Many times the only options the clinics give you (at least years ago) when embryos are stored and you aren't going to use them, are to discard or to donate to research. I sought out another solution on my own, and thankfully it all worked out well for everyone. I believe there are more options today for embryo donation than there were years ago. Some may prefer to donate randomly or anonymously, but I wanted to have more of a hand in where they were going and to make sure they were placed with a good family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter