inexpensive yet fun first visit gifts

wlake

DIS Veteran
Hello! My nephews (12 and 8) and niece (5) are taking their first trip to WDW in Feb. We're going next month and I want to put together little boxes full of things from WDW to make their first visit special. Because there are three of them, they have to be fairly cheap! So far I was thinking a first visit button, park maps, and candy from Goofy's -- then I get stuck! Does anyone have any great ideas? Thanks so much!

You could send a postcard to them from Disney - maybe with an autograph or make one up that says something like: "We're busy getting everything ready to make your trip here magical. Love Mickey & Minnie".

You could make them autograph books or find an inexpensive journal-type notebook with Disney characters on the front to use for autographs.

Since you have time before their trip, keep an eye on the dollar spot at Target, Micheals and the Dollar stores. It seems they all get Disney stuff occasionally. Look for pens, candy, notebooks, photo albums, etc.

Check the Creative Disigns thread. There are super-talented people who will make you "Welcome to Disney World" type letters or invitations to special meals. Lots of fun ideas on that thread!

Thanks -- I hadn't thought about postcards! I know my sister is going to want to do something for them too, so I should have said I want to get things that aren't available here at home. That way she can have the fun of doing a box for them too that won't be a repeat! ;)

You can make customized maps on the Disney website for free and they will mail them out to you.

At Target, dollar store and Walmart they sell glow sticks and braclets, give these to them for the night time parade and fire works show. I have also found note pads, pens and lanyards at these places and at Michaels craft stores that I have used for autograph books. You can sometimes find clearance pins at Disney or buy some on Ebay and start them pin trading. If you are using the dining plan and have some leftover snack credits, at some of the candy stores you can find bunches of Mickey shaped lollipops. At DTD there is a "Everything under $10 store"!!

The first time we went my boys were 7 & 9. They were great untell they got to the point of wanting to find more workers for pin traiding instead of riding rides. lol I loved them because anytime they started to fight got bored or anything I would say, hey look theres a pin traider, Worked like a charm. I so loved the pins tell we had to buy anoughter set at the parks to trade. I bought a bunch online (65 gave some to my nieces) before we went for $2 each. We used lanyards from the disney store at the mall. Then got free ones on the cruise with a free pin and used them. We just gave them to, two little girls my sister new who where going for the first time. We gave them Two lanyards and 5 pins to start them out. When we go again I will buy anoughter 100 off line before we go, so worth it and now the ones they collected are haning in my scrapbook room. They lost a few and give a few to kids who didn't have any. Weve been three times and they have a really hard time taking them back and trading them.

Dollar tree has disney stuff here.

i like the disney character shaped pens. the older one can take it to school and it will serve as a reminder of what is coming. they give out stickers in some places for free, they tend to go up to children and offer them so keep your eye out. if you ask i am sure they will give you a few. i love the postcard idea, you could get a whole group at the start of the trip and then send them every few days.

If you have transportation while at Disney make a trip to the Walmart on Vineland. They have tons of Disney souveniers that are half the cost of things in the parks. I was really amazed at how cheap and how much disney items they have! They also had Florida items and a few Universal items too.

You can check at the Disney outlet as well. There are two in Orlando. They have actual park merchandise, so it can say Walt Disney World vs. the stuff at Walmart, which will most likely say Disney or Disney Dreams.

Thanks everyone! Figmificent, the straw idea is perfect! Mum of two pirates, I know my boys love pin trading, so I was thinking I would splurge on lanyards for each of them, but my sister's not sure she wants to get into it, so that's a wait and see. I wish we were going to be able to get out to those Disney stores -- for me if not for them! :) Thanks again!

Pick them up their "1st Visit" button at Town Hall/guest services - that's FREE, can't beat that! They will be all set when they get there :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter