• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

In which we leave the grumpy one at home ... a very late 2019 trip report

OurLuce

Mouseketeer
So we got home yesterday, we left orlando 12 hours before the airport was due to close. I've resized lots of photos and written notes as I've gone along ....

So to begin.
We went to disney 3 years ago...FB_IMG_1567529516739-160x240.jpg

Then we went on a cruise with the mouse
to alaska last year.

The other half grumped his way through both. So this time we left him at home.

So our cast...will be in the next post....

So our cast...

There is me, our Luce, aka mum. I'm currently a full time mum of 2 (more about them below) and live, with the other half and kids, in a small village in Northamptonshire, england. By trade I'm a data Analyst but haven't done that for the last couple of years. I'm the Disney freak around here, the kids like it but sometimes I think they go along for the ride. Other half hates it and really doesn't get it.

Fav park... probably epcot
Ride. Now fop
Character olaf

Amelia is 13 and full of teenage angst, a bit of my mini me. She is academic.. and into maths, science and technology, plays oboe and violin. She is the second most organized person in my life and very dependable.

Park epcot.
Ride..fop
Character princess jasmine

Zach is 11, and annoying and brilliant and spends too much time watching YouTube. He also spends a lot of time reading, s bit like belle. He is growing like a weed at the moment.

Park epcot
Ride fop
Character... scar (he likes villians)

20190822_083405-1008x756.jpg

Day -2 20th August 2019 ... the one where we visit aunty tess

So the first day is travelling. We live just under 2 hours from Heathrow, so if we left on the day of the flight, with 3 hour check in, it would be 4am leave so up at 3 something. I'm not doing that. So we decided to stay near the airport the night before. Now as we are going to London (ish) it makes sence to visit my sister as she lives there, we haven't seen her this holiday and it is her birthday when we are away.

Packing had been done the day before, so it was load the car, say bye to the other half and drive to london. Amelia had downloaded a disney playlist from spotify so we played guess the tune/movie all the way down. Zach won.
We drive down the a1m and round the m25 and down the a10 a little to get there just before 12. Hand over present ..of which I didn't take a photo. Then out to a nice restaurant for lunch. It was a Lebanese and very tasty. 20190820_132520-1008x756.jpg
Aunty tess and the kids.

Me and my sister20190820_141913-756x1008.jpg

We left about 2.30. Then I let mr. Google guide me round the north circular to get to the purple palace. It was as expected, we watched the planes, ate a sandwich for tea then watched tv and played uno
I started a new crochet shawl. There is a long plane ride tomorrow so I got a bobble so won't need scissors and I've got a bamboo hook so should make it through security. 20190820_160046-756x1008.jpg

It was still an early start so an early night. It was decided Amelia was going to get a bed on her own and I was to share with zach. They both complained I snore. The room was ok . A double and a single bed. All basic but serviceable and clean.

Next up . The one where we fly...

Reactions: Fia
Hi Luce! I am here to hear all your trip. My son hates to share a room with me too on vacation since he says I snore.

Hi Luce! I am here to hear all your trip. My son hates to share a room with me too on vacation since he says I snore.
Welcome

I've never heard me snore so I swear blind I don't... but did have a sore throat at the start so maybe I might have ... I'm sure if it is no disney or sharing with a snoring one they would take the disney every time.

Day -1 21st August (Wednesday) The day in which we fly.
Apologies for minimal pictures but airports and planes are fundamentally boring. And there was lots of aeroplanes and airports.

It was an early start, about 5am. 2 of us went through the shower. I'm pretty sure I forced zach to have a bath the night before. We left at 6 for a 10 min drive to Heathrow Terminal 2. Luckily we had a bit of time in hand as I might have missed a turn to the terminal and had to go round a little bit more but it was only an extra couple of mins.

We dropped the car on level 4 of the short stay car park. And a nice man took my keys and gave me the details on how to reclaim the car at the end of the holiday. It is so easy with no waiting around and minimal lugging of luggage. And it was in a deal with the hotel stay so only £10 more than a long stay carpark. Really worth it.

We were flying using united, with a plane change in Houston. We checked in using the machines at the airport, I had tried to use the app but it was a faff to get our passports scanned and I gave up. I was expecting to be near the back of the plane, as when I had gone in to the system to request seats that was all that was on offer. However we were nicely surprised to find we had been bumped up to economy plus for the first leg of the journey. Serious result.

We gave away our two bags of hold luggage and went to security which was a doddle, no taking off shoes in the uk. As soon as we were through we filled up our water bottles from the slowest machine ever.

Then it was breakfast time. Might have been getting a bit hangry So we found a restaurant and ate a passable full english (amelia and me) and zach had pancakes. I might have had copious amounts of coffee too.

Then we found some sandwiches and cakes for the plane for when zach won't eat the plane food and/or we get hungry.

Headed over towards the gate which is a long walk down under some tarmac and back up. We were very early but happy to sit and play on phones with free wifi.

Then we get on a plane. We take off on time at 9.30. A nine hour flight. Very boring but due to the upgrade there is some legroom. We were fed a meal quite quickly. We watched movies. It was definitely chilly. I wrote down I was cold.

We landed at Houston at 13.45. Our next plane took off at 16.30 so just under 3 hours.

And I've never got into the states so easily. This is the week after they had problems with immigration and it had taken 4 hours to get through so in the plane we had filled out 2 paper forms (as zach has a different surname) but we didn't need the.

Being further up the plane helped. We walked off and made it to the immigration hall before most of the plane. Got straight to a machine and scanned our passports and answered the questions. Then walked over to a person, I had my fingerprints done handed in the paper from the machine and got our passports stamped. It took all of 10 mins!!!!!!! Then we had to pick up our luggage which was already on the carousel and walk about 20 meters to drop it off again. This was all going swimmingly.

We got on their sky train (read fakeorail) and went from terminal e to terminal c. We had to go through security again zach didn't have to take off his shoes as he was under 12. I downed a bottle of water. And we were through.

Then we found a wendy's and ate burgers and fries. Sometimes fried food and lots of calories are required. We were all getting tired now but we had what felt like a long wait for the next leg. Couldn't find anywhere to fill up water bottles so had to buy a couple.

Our last flight was another couple of hours. We were near the back and there was no leg room. We survived.

Orlando was easy as we were now internal so a quick fake o rail ride were my fingernails were admired.. 20190818_120329-756x1008.jpg amelia did them I'm pretty sure this is her hand but mine looked very similar. I've never been through the local side before. It looked slightly tattier that the international side. Picked up our luggage and headed for the ME.

Still had all our hand luggage at this point.
Bus was fine. Unfortunately zach left his bag on the bus. With his phone, one book and some colouring stuff in. We were dropped off at all star sports. We realised this once I had picked up our magic bands from reception. So the bus had long gone. So we headed to our room. I phoned to report it lost, got a case number but it was never found.

We went to bed and were asleep by 9... it was a long day travelling.

Next up: the one were we revisit old haunts.

Last edited:
So I've decided to actually finish this report. Only 2 years later ....

I think I got a really bad case of Disney blues. I even stopped pricing up the next disney trip. So for 2020 we were going to cruise around the med on a.n.other cruise line. But hey covid happened. So this was our last holiday and still nothing new in sight. during lockdown 1 the kids and I walked everyday and on our walks planned an itinerary for a 2 week stay. I've started pricing hotels and dreaming again.

But zach was covid positive on the last week of school (test no symptoms). So uk rules are we all isolate for 10 days. We got out the following Friday, for a morning, before I started coughing and sneezing and running a temp and lost my sense of smell. So we started another 10 days. This isolation finishes on the 2nd August. We are so bored. I might as well pull out the diary, find the photos and begin day 1 proper holiday. The one which we visit old haunts.

22nd August 2019. Day 1. In which we revisit old haunts.

I woke up at 4am, (which was 9am uk time?) And tried not to wake up the children and failed. Alarm was set for 6.15 as we had a character breakfast booked for 8am at tusker House. Amelia and I showered, I got everything out of suitcases and put away. I then ordered my first ever uber to get to ak.

Bit of history here, when we went in 2016 our first morning was ak and tusker house for breakfast followed by walking straight into the lion king which was the perfect start. I was hoping to recreate.
20190822_074949.jpg

Ok so there might be quite a few sideways photos ..

But here are the kids entering the park.

Then we went for breakfast and met people. I was a bit annoyed that there wasn't a photopass photographer there.
20190822_082415.jpg

20190822_083353.jpg20190822_083407.jpgplease note we actually are wearing matching t shirts (from primark).
20190822_084013.jpg6

We finished just before 9 and park opening. We didn't make it to Pandora... butcwent to its tough to be a bug.

We made a few rules up ... if the queue for a ride is less than 15mins we were doing it and if a photopass photographer had no queue we were having our picture taken.

20190822_092409.jpg

Then lion king. A safari on fp.

We saw Kevin, I asked were her babies were i was assured they were fine and she let me get a photo.

20190822_094047.jpg

We then headed over to Pandora for the first time. It is so pretty there. We had a navi river fp.
Looks like I've got too many photos so onwards to the next post ....

....Cont.
I took lots of photos of the safari but you've seen very similar ones before.

After Pandora we headed back to sports. We had a swim and lunch. Zach got a lanyard so I have two kids collecting pins. We also bought 2 refillable mugs. Zach doesn't do fizzy. So it really wasn't worth getting 3.

Our original plan was to go back to ak but we ended up heading out to mk just after 6pm.

20190822_185820.jpg

We people moved (it is now amelia's favourite ride)

20190822_191832.jpg

20190822_191840.jpg

Then we laughed at monsters Inc. (It was that guys fault).

20190822_193809.jpg

Then we staked out a spot for the fireworks, in the hub as you come out of tomorrow land. Amelia couldn't believe it was full at 8 for fireworks at 9. I went to get snacks and had to fight my way back to them. We were all scared we wouldn't find each other. But we did and the fireworks (happily ever after if I remember correctly)were awesome.

Zach hadn't read up on them so worked out the themes on the fly, and knew all the songs within 3 notes.

20190822_210123.jpg

20190822_210217.jpg

20190822_210405.jpg
I was really pleased with the quality of the photos from my phone ... I have lots. They make me feel happy.

After the fireworks we headed out the park and were back in the room and lights out by 10.42 ... I know as I wrote it down.

Next up .. its a mk day.

Day 2 Friday 23 August 2019 a day at mk

Day 1 had been a blast. Lots of rides(for us) met Mikey and seen the fireworks which were epic (and something we hadn't managed last time as someone always got grumpy).

So day 2 began with me waking at 7, the kids at 8. Someone was talking very loudly on their mobile outside our room.

We were at the very back of hoops 3. The upside of being so far from the pool and the food was quiet. Well that didn't work that morning.

I've found some photos of the room definitely tired but acceptable. We decided to not get room service so got a $100 (I think) gift card which the kids got to spend on stuff so it got messier as the time went on.
View attachment 593473View attachment 593474View attachment 593475View attachment 593476

The plan was to do mk ... with our first fp shooting at buzz lightyears place. We also had jungle fp and pirates. We were thinking about going to ak in the evening to see Pandora at night. Generally our day plans stuck. We ended being a bit more go with the flow in the evening. I also never planned a completely full day so either start early and have a mid afternoon break or go in late.

On this day we left the room about 9, then grabbed some pastries and went to the bus stop for mk.

We got to buzz, then did some more people mover followed by a meet and greet of stitch.

Obviously we are very intent on winning.. but I am c@!p at this one.

503053370_927292051_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpeg20190823_100704.jpg20190823_101051.jpg

And now I am going to shrink some photopass photos so they fit. See you in a bit

And photos of us and stitch ...503138848_927379247_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg_copy_2784x1856.jpeg503138561_927379246_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg_copy_2784x1856.jpeg503138468_927379244_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg_copy_1856x2784.jpeg

Then we went over to adventure land to a jungle cruise. Captain Chris was good.

We had an hour to kill before our next fp so had the brilliant (?) Idea to go on a trip to a small small world. When we came out it was raining but hey it was florida in the summer.

Back to pirates for our next fp. Good fun as always.
Lunch was back in fantasy land at Colombia Harbour House, we dashed through the rain. It stopped raining after lunch. It was about 2pm but because of the earlier rain it was delayed. So we found a good spot. Zach got bored waiting but loved it once it finally arrived.

20190823_143920.jpg20190823_144014.jpg

20190823_144059.jpg

Then we headed out the park, it was early closing due to mnsshp (which we weren't going to) but there was a quick trip to philamagic on the way.

20190823_145516.jpg

With air con, seats and flying instruments.

Mainstreet bakery was our last stop for a frapachinno for me and a Mikey donut to share.

I wrote that by 5 we were collapsed and probably not making it to ak that night. So pool time and an early night.

Next up .. In which I might be competitive...

Attachments

• 20190823_145525.jpg
    20190823_145525.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 8

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter