In need of help for a Disneyland budget for a young adult.

You can also sometimes ask for free or very cheap water from most quick services counters.
I’ve never paid for water in the park. Do some places really charge for it?

Incidentally, you can get your own ice water (and lemon :-)) at either Rancho Del Zocalo or Pizza Port. PP used to have sparkling water on tap but that went away with the recent refurb. Coca-Cola Corner still has it, though. Simply ask for it at the counter.

One thing I did for my first trip back to DL as an adult was check out the menus of the places I was interested in eating to get a ballpark of how much it would cost and went from there. I agree with what others have said, budgeting $100 per day is a good place to start; some days you might use less and some days more so it averages out. But I also budgeted separately for what I think of as "big budget" items; a special dinner or a new Dooney & Bourke purse.

I’ve never paid for water in the park. Do some places really charge for it?..
It's the bottles of water (and soda) that really eat into the budget. One bottle (then keep refilling it!) won't hurt you too badly, even on a tight budget. But multiply that over a multi-day trip -- or multiple times over multiple days? Ouch. When you do this for multiple people multiple times a day for multiple days? Major, avoidable ouch.

One thing I did for my first trip back to DL as an adult was check out the menus of the places I was interested in eating to get a ballpark of how much it would cost and went from there. I agree with what others have said, budgeting $100 per day is a good place to start; some days you might use less and some days more so it averages out. But I also budgeted separately for what I think of as "big budget" items; a special dinner or a new Dooney & Bourke purse.

This is a great idea no matter what your budget is. There are so many food choices that it can become overwelming. Having an idea up front about the foods that sound good to you and where to get them can be a big stress reliever.

It's hard to answer this question because it will vary so wildly among people, depending on your habits. Even my own budgets have changed drastically over the years. When I was a kid my family saved up for years to afford just tickets and hotel, so we spent close to nothing else in the parks. We brought in our own food and water, ate meals in our hotel room, and never bought souvenirs. So I'd say our budget was $0-$30 a day.

As a young adult with a partner or friends, I couldn't afford much besides a couple of snacks and maybe one souvenir, $20 or less. So, budget was $10-$40 a day.

Keep in mind that you can bring food into the parks, as well as your own refillable water bottle. I highly suggest a hotel with both a fridge and microwave. This allows you to have hot meals when you go back to the room for a lunchtime break, or when returning to the room in the evening (it makes even more sense when you're going during the "off season" when park hours are shorter, because you can just skip eating an evening meal in the parks and have it in your room after close).

Now, as an adult that can afford a bit more, I still bring in my own food and water, but allow myself some meals in the parks. I typically have breakfast at the hotel, food that I've brought in for lunch with some snacks bought in the park, and counter or table service in the parks for dinner. I'm not big into souvenirs unless I find something particularly unique, but I could not see myself spending more than $30-$40 on an item per trip. So, in total, that would make my budget about $60 per day, including myself and my husband.

Basically, it's possible to spend practically nothing in the parks if you plan things strategically. Or it's possible to spend thousands of dollars.

I’ve never paid for water in the park. Do some places really charge for it?

Some of the places charge for the cup if it’s behind the counter. We have tried a few of the refill stations but last time the water was a little off colored so my kids wouldn’t drink it. We come from places with horrible water that is weird and smells like fish even if filtered so when they see off colored water they refuse it. But it’s also hard to always carry a cup of water with no lid with you so we always end up buying a ton of bottled water.

Some of the places charge for the cup if it’s behind the counter. We have tried a few of the refill stations but last time the water was a little off colored so my kids wouldn’t drink it. We come from places with horrible water that is weird and smells like fish even if filtered so when they see off colored water they refuse it. But it’s also hard to always carry a cup of water with no lid with you so we always end up buying a ton of bottled water.
Where specifically have you been charged for a cup inside the parks? I have gotten free water from every place that offers it (counter services locations) and NEVER been changed for a cup. I’m fact, if they give you a small cup of ice water you can ask for a large one instead—still free! As many as you want.

I have also gotten water from most of the refill stations (Rancho del Zocalo, Galactic Grill, Red Rose Tavern) and never once seen anything off with color, odor or flavor of the water so that sounds like it was maybe a one-off thing? Note that I’m not talking about drinking fountains, I’m talking about the refill stations. Sometimes the water will have microbubbles from the pump that forces the water up and out... this might give the water a momentary cloudy appearance but they go away quickly.

Where specifically have you been charged for a cup inside the parks?
Since its refurb, Pizza Port's policy has been that cups area no longer free. I used to go there to get a large water and hot water for my tea (I bring my own). But on my first post-refurb visit, one of the CMs told me that I would be charged for a Styrofoam cup. However, every time I've gone in and asked a CM at the register if I could simply have one (for free), they've always said yes (so far). Rightly or wrongly, I choose a CM at a register that looks nice. Some have a hard look about them and those are the ones I avoid. I could be totally off base with this strategy but I'm just looking to score a cup not a wife.

Last edited:
Since its refurb, Pizza Port's policy has been that cups area no longer free. I used to go there to get a large water and hot water for my tea (I bring my own). But on my first post-refurb visit, one of the CMs told me that I would be charged for a Styrofoam cup. However, every time I've gone in and asked a CM at the register if I could simply have one (for free), they've always said yes (so far). Rightly or wrongly, I choose a CM at a register that looks nice. Some have a hard look about them and those are the ones I avoid. I could be totally off base with this strategy but I'm just looking to score a cup not a wife.
I am curious if they hand out prefilled ice water cups at this location like at all other counter service locations? I have never asked for an empty cup before, I always ask for water.

I am curious if they hand out prefilled ice water cups at this location like at all other counter service locations? I have never asked for an empty cup before, I always ask for water.
Actually, I should have mentioned this. They have small plastic cups in between the soda dispensers, which are now on the opposite side of the registers (they used to be before them).

Actually, I should have mentioned this. They have small plastic cups in between the soda dispensers, which are now on the opposite side of the registers (they used to be before them).
Good to know! Maybe this is like the small plastic cups next to the filtered water dispenser at Rancho del Zocalo.

As an aside, Whitewater Snacks has large plastic water cups (with lids!) available next to the drink machine (one of the machines dispenses ice cold water).

Where specifically have you been charged for a cup inside the parks? I have gotten free water from every place that offers it (counter services locations) and NEVER been changed for a cup. I’m fact, if they give you a small cup of ice water you can ask for a large one instead—still free! As many as you want.

I have also gotten water from most of the refill stations (Rancho del Zocalo, Galactic Grill, Red Rose Tavern) and never once seen anything off with color, odor or flavor of the water so that sounds like it was maybe a one-off thing? Note that I’m not talking about drinking fountains, I’m talking about the refill stations. Sometimes the water will have microbubbles from the pump that forces the water up and out... this might give the water a momentary cloudy appearance but they go away quickly.

The pizza place near hyperspace charged us like 2 weeks ago for a water cup. And yes the water fountains are really bad colored but it was the refill station at Galatic Grill that was off colored as well. Could have been a one time thing, maybe the filter (or whatever they use I dunno my kids filled the bottle up I’ve never actually seen the refill stations) just got changed or what.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter