In Every Job That Must be Done There is an Element of Fun!!! DCP Report New 2/7

Hi!!! Thank you so much for sharing your journey with all of us :goodvibes.
For those of us that love Disney as much as we do it is great to see and hear about what goes on in the program. Heading to WDW in 3 months and 3days!! It is truly magical that you are living out your dreams! :thumbsup2

Oh my goodness, starting the DCP sounds like such a thrill! There is so much build up and anticipation! I love it!

Isn't working for Disney the best? I absolutely adore it. I really cannot wait for more, this is so fun to read! I never, ever got to experience college or anything like this (going off and living with roommates you don't really know and such) and am just amazed! Thanks for writing about it all with so much detail!

Alicia, do you ever watch Glee? There's a new character named Marley and she looked so familiar to me but I couldn't figure out why. Finally I placed it and realized she reminded me of you from your TRs :) If you haven't seen her, google "Glee Marley" and look at the images. Sometimes I think she looks so much like you.

Joining in (a bit late, my apologies)! Looks like you have been doing a lot lately already. I hope you're having a great time down there Alicia (though I'm sure you are)! Can't wait to hear more about the DCP from you! :mickeyjum

This is so helpful! I will actually be participating in the DCP starting next April. Since it is an arrival date in the middle of the Spring program, my friend/roommate and I are hoping that we can room together! There are so many stories of people just being placed in apartments where there is room and not being able to choose. Looking forward to hearing about Traditions :goodvibes

Hey! I lurked a bit on your TR and I always meant to comment but never did and then I saw this and I remember Jess telling me about you. I am enjoying this report so much! I always said if I went to college I would have done the CP in a heartbeat but I never read up on all the details, so this is VERY interesting to me! I can't wait to hear all about the rest of your experience. I'm going to request you on Twitter, my name on there is @babybritney. :)

p.s. I LOVE YOUR RAPUNZEL BEDDING SO MUCH. I have been looking for Rapunzel bedding since I saw and became obsessed with Tangled, but I have a Queen bed and it seems to only exist for smaller beds. WAH. Do these people not understand that adults need Princess comforters too? Sigh.

Just wanted to stop by and say that I saw you guys at DHS on Saturday and MK on Sunday!

Just found this!..I can't wait to read. I'm subcribing now and will read it when I have time! Oh and I love your style of writing...I'm going to go back and read all your trip reports too! And try to find you on twitter so I can keep up with your amazing adventure!!

Hello everyone!!! :wave2:

I am dreadfully sorry to have been away for so long!!! I can’t even believe all that has happened since I last updated everyone. Where to begin?!

I have decided hat I am going about this ALL WRONG. I started off wanting to do it like a trip report but that seems to not be working well because quite frankly I am just too lazy upload photos on a regular basis (our internet is SO SLOW here). I have decided that I would rather turn it into a blog that sometimes has pictures and hope that it makes it easier on me. I just want to share so much with all of you but I am always just so crunched for time!!! They have me working 40+ hours a week and by the time I get home at night I plop into bed and I am out like a light.

SOOOOOO, since I have been gone here are a few things that have happened. My parents visited, I have had TONS of park time on top of TONS of work time, the Sam Brittany and ANDYYYYYYYYY have visited and we had the most fabulous time EVER at the Halloween party. I have audition for entertainment!!! We have planned another visit for Andy and Sam And SO MUCH more. I am trying to get my post about traditions over and done with to give you a little idea about that and that will probably be the last structured post I have for you all. From there it’s a free for all, I will try to come home every night and type up a brief little bit about my day/week.

I thank everyone once again for reading along and I can’t wait to get you all up to date with life in Florida!!! Hope all is well with everyone and that you are all planning fabulous trips to the happiest place on earth, if you do have a trip in the works today puts you one day closer than you were yesterday so CONGRADULATIONS!!!

Hey there :) Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to update!! 40 plus hours of work!! I hope you have time to still hang out in the parks. Good luck on your audition and I look forward to reading more :) -Amanda

I lied!!! Sorry, I keep promising you a traditions update. I didn't realize how much I did in the fews days I had before actually starting so here we go..

After the first night on my own. I had one full day left to spend with my parents before they headed off and I started this new journey on my own.

The first order of business was to attend a housing meeting!!! YAY, while I did that my parents enjoyed some free breakfast at their hotel, lucky them!!! All the roommates and I walked over to the commons which is where they basically have every housing event.

Let me tell you Disney does not skimp out. What ever Disney does Disney does BIG even housing events. There were strobe lights, loud music, and a fog machine and it was only 10am!!!

IMG_1708.jpg

Here is where they hit you with those heart-melting quotes. Disney sure does know how to put together a power point/slide shows. EVERY ONE I WATCH I CRY. So after I sopped up my tears we talked about basic things: curfews, how you can’t change apartments unless you have been there for 4 weeks and it’s not free, alcohol policies and the worst rule ever…? NO LIGHTSABERS!!! Anything that could be considered “a weapon” is not allowed any where in the apartments.

From there they did a few basic role-plays to help fully get across the rules and they sent us on our way. When I got back my parents were outside waiting for me. I jumped in the car and we were off to lunch!!! My first real Disney food since I arrived.

We were headed to DTD for a quick bite before they had to load up and move out, they had a VERY long drive a head of them.

We quickly headed through the beautiful archways

IMG_1709.jpg

MICKEY!!! YOU’RE MY BOSS

IMG_1710.jpg

So obviously there was only one filling meal that we would head for.

EARL OF SANDWICH!!! I got my typical Veggie sandwich

IMG_1711.jpg

It was soooooooo good as always. Very filling and, just mmmmmmmmmmm.

From there we decided to do a little shopping for the family back home

IMG_1712.jpg

I snapped this picture to send to Andy. He is OBSESSED with having a Disney kitchen when we get our own house. When he was here recently he wanted to buy EVERYTHING.

IMG_1713.jpg

Then I saw these, Andy’s favorite souvenir to date. He calls it “the ice cup”. I’m not sure if it has a real name but boy does that kid love that cup. He uses it all the time

IMG_1716.jpg

We walked over to Goofy’s to check out the treats. They always have the cutest candied apples

IMG_1714.jpg

It’skermit!!! I can’t even imagine eating one of these. Where do you start?!

IMG_1715.jpg

After we were done walking around we went in search of a place to buy me white ankle socks. When I got my uniform Disney look calls for white ankle socks when you wear shorts and black socks when you wear pants. Silly me only came down with white no show socks. Unacceptable. I found out later that this is mandatory because back in Disney’s day it was considered “despicable” for lack of a better term to wear shoes without socks so it has always been a thing that people’s socks needed to be visible.

We went to 3 different stores because so one had the thick top ankles like I needed. Eventually we found them at a Walgreens where they also had this!!!

IMG_1719.jpg

A Mickey made out of coca cola boxes. Yep, my life has turned to Disney 24/7 and I am not in anyway complaining about it!!!

The entire store was isles upon isles of Disney… well EVERYTHING

IMG_1723.jpg

After we picked up the socks it was time to say goodbye. My parents dropped me at the apartment and we said goodbye. It was rough but honestly not nearly as rough as I thought it would be, that might sound harsh but I have actually really adjusted well to living on my own.

I sat around and finished getting settled in until everyone else showed up. Hattie’s family left and Morgan came here basically alone so for the night, while everyone else was having family time, we decided to do some retail therapy. This trip took us to the dreaded outlet mall, for the first few days we spent a lot of time (and money here)

In case I haven’t mentioned it there is a VERA BRADLEY and DISNEY outlet within a 10-minute’s walk.

IMG_1726.jpg

This store is a problem!!! Actually I haven’t been to the outlets in a while because there is really just no time. But the first few weeks it was. Everything is just so cheap and maybe I should just walk over there today on my day off…. Just kidding!!!

That was my first real day on my own, well after my parents left. The following day everyone' parents would be gone and it was our last full day to be regular human beings because from there on out...

WE WOULD BE CAST MEMBERS!!!

Oh, that’s really too bad that you can’t have ligthsabers because I was planning on bringing several of them when I do the CP…

I am craving Earl of Sandwich now. Thanks!

I don’t even know how it will be possible for me to live in Florida because it seems like everywhere you go is DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY, like it is at Walgreens. There go my future paychecks…

Oh, it sounds like you are having a blast. What a great experience! So how did the entertainment auditions go? We want to know if we're going to "see" you up in front of the castle or somewhere and we can jump up and down and point and yell "I (don't) know that girl!!" :lmao:

Sounds so great down there!

No Lightsabers?? That is so strange/sad/hilarious all at once!

I have never tried to eat one of those candy apples for that exact reason, where on earth do you start? Also they are usually so darn cute you don't want to eat them anyway!

Hello everyone, I am currently sitting at work with nothing to do so I figured I would give you all a little bit of an update!!! Sorry for the lack of pictures but like I said I'm at work

My first program is officially over, soooooo there is a lot to catch you all up on. I'll probably save that for when I have pictures.

For those of you who aren't a twitter/Instagram follower of mine (if you want to be... Find me!!! @leasha_burns but be warned. I have some random silly outbursts) you probably have no idea if I moved home after my program or not. Well, I am happy to inform you that I did stick around!!! But let's be honest, did you expect anything less? However, I am no longer in costuming. If you recall I went to an audition in early October WELL, it took me FOREVER to hear back I officially heard back on November 19!!! I am currently a part of the Disney Entertainment team :-) I have made a bunch of "new friends" over the past few weeks some furry and one of royal blood, with a few more to come my way at a later date. So if you are ever in the world between now and May be sure to let me know, you may have an extra special friend waiting to me you!!!

So far, my new job is PERFECT. I can't even describe what it's like because its just too magical (most of the time).

As for my run in costuming, it was a great time, I met some amazing people and made tons of memories. For the last few months of my program I was picked to be on the Christmas parade team which took up A LOT of my time 12 hour shifts 6 days a week. Tons of over time, tons of sleepless nights but most importantly lots of fun!!! I wouldn't trade my time in costuming for the world because it showed me the kind of person I never want to become, one of those performers who think they are better than everyone and gets fed up with their job too easily.

My roommates, well they were interesting... At various points I was friends with all of them. Towards the end we were divided right down the middle and we ended up leaving without even saying goodbye to one another. They made parts of my program a living hell and there was tons of conflict but I lucked out. I had Ryan with me and he made everything that much better. I ended up befriending all of his roommates and spending most of my time over at their place. I miss them more than I miss most of my actual roommates. If there is one thing that I learned from this aspect of the program it is: not everyone is what they seem. I met my room,ages online MONTHS before we moved to Florida and we got along just fine but living with 6 people in one little apartment is hard when people don't do their share and think that you are there to be the mother. This program I opted for a 2 bedroom and so far all is well, I am allowed to sit on the couch in the living room with out being threatened and the place is always so clean. I wish I would have went with a two bedroom to begin with.

Another thing that I learned: just because people work for disney doesn't mean they have a love for it, care about it or want to be there. For the amount of happy peppy cast members you see onstage you see 10 times more unhappy people behind the scenes. It is important to remember why you are here and why you love what you do. It's easy for those type of people to get you down but you have to keep your head up and keep smiling!

Disney is a family, it has it moments of happiness and disaster but you work through it all. If you ever decide to do the program it will be the most amazing, fabulous, magical experience of your life while at the same time making you want to pull your hair out. There will be moments when you are ready to quit. God knows I had plenty of those between missing thanksgiving and Christmas and all my new friends moving home on me. But deep down you will know in your heart if this is where you are meant to be. Maybe you're meant to work here forever, a few hears, only for a program, or maybe you find out Disney vacations is where it ends for you but anyway that it ends up for you, you are sure to come out with a whole new and bigger love and appreciation for this place that so many people call home.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask!!! I am going to try to update more with my life this time around but with my current role I don't know how possible that will be. But I do have a lot more free time due to NO MORE CHRISTMAS!!! so I will do my best. Thank you all for reading a long, I hope I can give you a little more taste of what my first program was like and that I can keep you a little more up to date on my current program. Thanks as always for the love and support, you are all just too good to me!!!

Hi! I know I'm really late to this TR but it's so fascinating! My biggest regret in life is not doing the DCP when I was in college, so I love reading about people's experiences now! I just followed you on twitter yesterday too, it's SO amazing that you are friends with all of these characters (I'm minnie_ears on twitter :upsidedow)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter