In and out of San Francisco without scary hills?

disykat

This person totally gets me
I'm terrified of driving on hills. (I know - San Francisco is a bad choice!) We are staying in the Fisherman's wharf area on Lombard. Is there any way into town that won't terrify me? Once we park, we'll walk and use public transportation so I just need to get in and out of town.

We're coming from Eureka the night before and will be heading toward Monterey a few days later.

Any help would be appreciated!

You are headed south I presume. Are you coming from Bay Bridge (Oakland) or from Golden Gate Bridge (Marin County)? Either there is a way to avoid those hills if you are staying at Fisherman's Wharf. From Bay Bridge you can take Van Ness towards Fisherman's Wharf. From the Golden Gate, it will take you to Lombard where you are staying.

Thanks!

I'm still confused though. I was thinking we'd take the Golden Gate (just to say we did!) and come straight onto Lombard, but on the map it looks like we'd run into the crooked part. Maybe taking 80 and staying down towards the water (Embarcadero area) would do the trick? Thinking about it, I may just call the hotel and ask for directions from the clerk. They should be able to take me right there.

Okay, I looked at the map again with the address and we're 5 blocks west of the crooked street. Since we're on that side, I'm guessing we're sort of above the hills?

Then when we leave, Van Ness will take us to the highway to head south, right? I'm guessing since Van Ness is a main street that it is "safe" for wimps like me?

Thanks again!

I remember coming from Marin county through the Golden Gate and it led us to Lombard street and we wanted to go drive through the crooked street but we were on the way to the airport with a trunk full of suitcases and a rental car with little power and i saw that to get to the crooked section taking Lombard there was this huge hill we had to climb,well with the condition of the car we decided not to,we probably would've made it without a problem but better to avoid any problems,we had already walked the crooked street!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter