In a Quandary...please help! (Long-winded)

skylynx

DIS Sponsor in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado
Hello, Everyone

We're really active on the Disney Cruise boards and are on the brink of becoming DVC members but really need some help. We just got off Disney Magic and did not have a chance to get with a guide there. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge after the cruise, and decided to go to the DVC presentation although we had just a little time there (largely due to the $100 gift certificate).

We had a nice presentation with a guide called Paul, who seemed to understand our Disney travel habits and that because we are already in our mid-forties, SSR's longer terms didn't necessarily appeal to us. We told him we were interested in WL because it is our favorite place to stay (with AK as the second best). He tried half-heartedly to dissuade us, but then said there were points available at VWL. We finished up the presentation with us clearly giving out buying signals. Paul assured us that although we had just been on the cruise (and will be going again in May) that DVC offers "could not" differ-that Disney wanted to make sure everyone had the same opportunities offered at the same time period, so there was no advantage to us in buying DVC onboard. (This afternoon I talked with some people on Disboards who bought DVC during our cruise and they were offered a $15 per point discount incentive...we were offered $10.)

Paul showed us the nice rooms at SSR then we went on our own to look at rooms at OKW and VWL. We decided we liked VWL the best and called Paul to ask what the dues were there and also to tell us what DVC discounts were available if booking Disney Cruises with cash rather than using points. My husband talked to Paul Monday morning and asked those questions. Paul said he'd call back with the answers. It is now Tuesday night. We called Paul once again earlier today, stressing this information was important to us in making our decision, and he has not responded. We had three days to make our decision until the "offer" for the incentives expired (either $10/pt or 150 one time extra points-both only if we bought at SSR).

We have since researched what the wonderful folks on this DVC board have said about similar situations, and are feeling so disappointed about what should have been a really special experience. I've been coming to Disney since it opened, met my husband at Disney Institute, honeymooned there, and now we are finally getting around to what we think is a really magical step only to get this brush off. Now I am second guessing everything our "guide" told us about incentive offers being different on the ship, whether there really are DCL discounts, etc. I found the dues roster myself on these boards (thank you to the kind person for posting it) but it kind of stinks I had to find it myself because our sales person couldn't be bothered to let us know!

We were so thrilled after the presentation, and spent our plane flight home studying the DVC dreams book and points list, musing about all the things we'd do with our points, blah, blah, blah. Then no communication. I never heard of anyone having to try so hard to spend a lot of money!

We plan to call Paul once more tomorrow morning, give him a chance to explain himself, than call DVC and get someone else who is interested in our sale.

Do any of you know if there are discounts for DVC members on DCL if not using points to pay for staterooms (as it seems very expensive that way)? The perks book didn't mention it, but Paul told us there was one...so who knows if it is true. We realize the best value for DVC is DVC properties, but we also like to cruise. Are we wrong to be feeling hesitant at this point about going through with the purchase now?...if we wait until the next cruise in May to buy DVC there may or may not be an onboard booking incentive. Paul also told us the price at SSR was going up another couple of dollars March 1. So now we don't know if that's true, either. We worry we are being big babies about this, but it's a big purchase and a big commitment for us and I'm feeling very, very uncertain. Any advice any of you savvy veterans can offer would be really helpful. Oh...we also gave Paul the name of a DVC member who we met on the cruise who urged us to go to the presentation. I read on these boards sometimes you can get an incentive from a referral but I guess that doesn't count as one?

Sorry for this long whine, but we have to decide by tomorrow....

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Skylynx (Denise)

If you want VWL then you will pay *rack rate* aka no incentives through DVC. You can purchase a little cheaper through the resale market but you may not have a full contract available with the points you want.

If you are looking for a deal then you need to be looking at SSR - but the referral price is now not available so I think the only incentive is $10 off a point.

In March VAK will be open and will probably have available points but they will be more than likely higher than SSR with higher MF.

So if you want VWL then look to resale or purchase at the higher price from DVC.

As noted, there is no DCL discount for DVC members. The $15 discount was a special promotion for those with a referral from a current member - otherwise the incentive was $10 for others, whether on the cruise or taking the tour at WDW. It was only available at SSR and ended on Saturday, 1/20/07.

Here is the history of DVC annual fees at all of the resorts:

Year OKW BWV VB VB(sub) HH VWL BCV SSR

2007 4.40 4.85 5.63 4.39 4.98 4.73 4.63 4.12 ( Proposed fees for 2007)
2006 4.24 4.69 5.27 4.12 4.34 4.61 4.48 3.98
2005 3.86 4.41 4.87 3.84 3.86 4.35 4.27 3.83
2004 3.68 4.25 4.67 3.67 3.70 4.22 4.18 3.80
2003 3.49 4.11 4.37 4.37 3.69 4.05 3.97
2002 3.22 3.92 4.17 3.33 3.49 3.80 3.77
2001 3.13 3.83 3.98 2.70 3.32 3.63
2000 3.16 3.94 4.07 2.87 3.25 3.62
1999 3.16 4.02 3.99 2.82 3.18
1998 3.17 3.94 ---- 2.76 3.20
1997 3.14 3.84 ---- 2.90 3.16
1996 2.99 3.70 ---- 2.82 3.16
1995 2.84
1994 2.70
1993 2.63
1992 2.56
1991 2.51

I hope you hear from your guide tomorrow, but don't hesitate to ask to speak with someone else either. You might also take a look at The Timeshare Store, a DVC resale broker and sponsor of this site.

Good luck with your decision. :)

Hi and hopefully welcome to the DVC.

I own everywhere but HHI, and I agree with the advice you have gotten so far, buy where you want to stay. I love my VWL contract, and the ability to book 11 months before travel is vitaly important at this, the smallest of all DVCs.

I have purchased directly from Disney and as resale from the TTS (The Timeshare Store). If you are patient, the TTS can save you about $10.00 per point off Disney direct. But it takes longer, you have to risk ROFR, and you can loose a contract to Disney.

Buying direct from Disney is fast, simple and painless, perhaps the best way to get started.

If you buy from TTS ask for Jason (He's the manager, and will give you great service.) Feel free to drop my name/DISboard ID, TTS is one of the few places that my name is helpful! (LOL)

Sincerely,

-Tony

We went through the tour, then a few years later called and asked for current information. A few months later, we called ready to buy in - no questions or anything. It took our guide a few days to get back with us, and then it took him a few days longer than he said to file the papers so that we would be in the system.

At the time, I was frustrated - but after reading the boards, I've learned that it's not that unusual. We have been really happy with our decision to buy in, and our guide has always sent us emails before our trips.

I would not worry about the incentive "disappearing" - you've contacted him within your 3 days.

Good luck, and hope to welcome you home soon!

If you buy from TTS ask for Jason (He's the manager, and will give you great service.) Feel free to drop my name/DISboard ID, TTS is one of the few places that my name is helpful

I'll keep that in mind Greenban! As I think the add-on bug will hit DH with VB.

Yes you are right going direct is probably the easiest and painless. I think we gave our guide the deposit on a Wednesday, the Fed Ex box of papers showed up the following Tuesday. Within 2 weeks of the "go" decision I had made my first ressie, got set up on the website and banked points. Now it makes it even faster if you pay cash I think, as I didn't have to go looking for a notary.

... I love my VWL contract, and the ability to book 11 months before travel is vitaly important at this, the smallest of all DVCs. ...

While I do agree with the remainder of Tony's advice - VWL is NOT "the smallest of all DVCs" - that distinction clearly falls to HH with a total of 102 villas. VWL is the smallest of those at WDW though.

Do any of you know if there are discounts for DVC members on DCL if not using points to pay for staterooms

No. None offered to date so far as I'm aware. It's not a good idea to buy DVC to use for DCL.

I bought my VWL through Scot at TSS. He was great at answering questions and if he wasn't available, someone else at the office was available to answer them. If you are not in a hurry, you should do just fine going through resale (and can save some money too).

There are several possible explanations for the difference in discounts but it's possible that your Guide may not even be able to explain them. As Doc said a promotion just ended a few days ago that provided a $15 discount if the prospective member had a referral from an existing member. It's POSSIBLE that the folks you mentioned from your cruise had a referral.

I have also heard what appear to be reports of those on the DCL just being offered the $15 price. They didn't specifically say if they had a referral and I didn't grill them. But it is POSSIBLE that DCL salespeople were able to offer the $15 price without a referral.

But that's water under the bridge. You didn't tour on the cruise and your Guide was correct in stating that the $10 discount is the current deal they are offering.

He was also correct in stating that prices are due to go up in the first week of March. Reportedly the base price will increase by $3.

As far as being unable to reach your Guide, DVC is open 7 days / week so it's entirely possible that Monday and Tuesday were his days off. The Guides also take turns sailing on the cruises so he could be out at sea. Or he may be sick or on vacation. For whatever reason, it seems rare that DVC Guides are asked to cover for one another and it also seems to be hit-or-miss as to whether they alter their voice mail message when they will be out of the office for a few days.

I would try calling the main sales number on the DVC website and when you get an operator specifically ask if your Guide is in the office that day. That way you will know for certain whether he is in the office or not. If he happens to be out, explain that you are coming up on the time limit that was communicated during your tour and ask if someone else can assist you.

Either that or go the resale route as others have suggested. It could very well save you some money. You may find it to be a bit more nervewracking than buying direct (or not given your tale ;) ), but it is a viable option for most.

While I do agree with the remainder of Tony's advice - VWL is NOT "the smallest of all DVCs" - that distinction clearly falls to HH with a total of 102 villas. VWL is the smallest of those at WDW though.

Thank you DOC. I do learn something everyday here at the DISboards. I was not aware that HHI was the smallest.

Doc, do we have a thread with the resort sizes?

TIA,

-Tony

OKW - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 274 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 230 Lockoffs - 27 Grand Villas = 531 Units / 761 Max. Available Rooms

VB - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 18 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 36 Lockoffs - 6 Grand Villas - 112 Inn Rooms = 172 Units / 208 Max. Available Rooms

HHI - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 76 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 21 Lockoffs - 5 Grand Villas = 102 Units / 123 Max. Available Rooms

BWV - 97 Dedicated Studios - 130 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 0 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 149 Lockoffs - 7 Grand Villas = 383 Units / 532 Max. Available Rooms

VWL - 20 Dedicated Studios - 27 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 44 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 45 Lockoffs - 0 Grand Villas = 136 Units / 181 Max. Available Rooms

BCV - 36 Dedicated Studios - 20 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 78 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 74 Lockoffs - 0 Grand Villas = 208 Units / 282 Max. Available Rooms

SSR - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 360 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 432 Lockoffs - 36 Grand Villas = 828 Units / 1260 Max. Available Rooms (based on the remaining Grandstand Building due to open over the next few months)

AKV - 46 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR villas - 140 Dedicated 2BR villas - 250 Lockoffs - 22 Grand Villas = 134 villas within Jambo House (AKL) , 324 villas in Kidani Village (opening May 1, 2009) for a total of 458 Units / 708 Max. Available Rooms.

BLT - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR villas - 148 Dedicated 2BR villas - 133 Lockoffs - 14 Grand Villas = 295 Units / 428 Max. Available Rooms

Unfortunately, no DVC specials on DCL.
And, yes, you can buy VWL direct from Disney, with a 150 point minimum purchase.
Our guide is excellent at getting back to us, I would just give your guy a little time.
Good luck!!

AKV - 134 villas within AKL (opening fall, 2007) , 324 villas in a new building (opening Spring, 2009) for a total of 458 villas (of unannounced configuration).

Doc,

I think the 134 number refers to the number of hotel rooms being converted. According to the information provided with my recent add-on, there will be 94 villas in the AKL (at least listed as opening Fall 2007, which I take to mean the Lodge). If this information remains unchanged, there will be 6 Grand Villas, 56 two bedroom lockouts and 32 studios.

I know how frustrating it is, once the decision is made to buy and the discount is on a time limit and the Guide is not returning the call. We had the same thing happen. I called again and told someone in his office what I was wanting, I was told that he was off for 2 days... no problem here. Once the communication is established, I am fine. He called me as soon as he came in and we bought that day. I would call again and tell them what you are wanting. Get a answer if you can't then get someone else to speak to.

OKW - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 274 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 230 Lockoffs - 27 Grand Villas = 531 Units / 761 Max. Available Rooms

VB - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 18 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 36 Lockoffs - 6 Grand Villas - 112 Inn Rooms = 172 Units / 208 Max. Available Rooms

HHI - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 76 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 21 Lockoffs - 5 Grand Villas = 102 Units / 123 Max. Available Rooms

BWV - 97 Dedicated Studios - 130 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 0 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 149 Lockoffs - 7 Grand Villas = 383 Units / 532 Max. Available Rooms

VWL - 20 Dedicated Studios - 27 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 44 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 45 Lockoffs - 0 Grand Villas = 136 Units / 181 Max. Available Rooms

BCV - 36 Dedicated Studios - 20 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 78 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 74 Lockoffs - 0 Grand Villas = 208 Units / 282 Max. Available Rooms

SSR - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 360 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 432 Lockoffs - 36 Grand Villas = 828 Units / 1260 Max. Available Rooms (based on the remaining Grandstand Building due to open over the next few months)

AKV - 134 villas within AKL (opening fall, 2007) , 324 villas in a new building (opening Spring, 2009) for a total of 458 villas (of unannounced configuration).

Doc Thanks!

I couldn't get any results using the search function, this data is marvelous!

-Tony

There are several possible explanations for the difference in discounts but it's possible that your Guide may not even be able to explain them. As Doc said a promotion just ended a few days ago that provided a $15 discount if the prospective member had a referral from an existing member. It's POSSIBLE that the folks you mentioned from your cruise had a referral.

I have also heard what appear to be reports of those on the DCL just being offered the $15 price. They didn't specifically say if they had a referral and I didn't grill them. But it is POSSIBLE that DCL salespeople were able to offer the $15 price without a referral.

But that's water under the bridge. You didn't tour on the cruise and your Guide was correct in stating that the $10 discount is the current deal they are offering.

He was also correct in stating that prices are due to go up in the first week of March. Reportedly the base price will increase by $3.

As far as being unable to reach your Guide, DVC is open 7 days / week so it's entirely possible that Monday and Tuesday were his days off. The Guides also take turns sailing on the cruises so he could be out at sea. Or he may be sick or on vacation. For whatever reason, it seems rare that DVC Guides are asked to cover for one another and it also seems to be hit-or-miss as to whether they alter their voice mail message when they will be out of the office for a few days.

I would try calling the main sales number on the DVC website and when you get an operator specifically ask if your Guide is in the office that day. That way you will know for certain whether he is in the office or not. If he happens to be out, explain that you are coming up on the time limit that was communicated during your tour and ask if someone else can assist you.

Either that or go the resale route as others have suggested. It could very well save you some money. You may find it to be a bit more nervewracking than buying direct (or not given your tale ;) ), but it is a viable option for most.

Tim:

If I was a DVC Guide, I *MIGHT* offer my new purchasers the $15.00 off, by automatically referring them to a prior buyer. How would Disney know if the guide simply wrote in the referral name (if the purchaser had none)?

This way the newbie gets the best price, and a relaible prior purchaser gets a reward (if they live in an eligible state). Not implying kickbacks or referral splitting (which could also occur), but perhaps this scenario explains the DCL $15.00 off?

-Tony

Denise - I'm hoping things are coming together for you tonight! I hope the info I sent was helpful. I'm crossing my fingers and sending lots of pixie dust!!

Take care - Ginny

Hi, Ginny, and other new friends...

I'd like to thank you first for all the helpful responses. I talked to our guide tonight (this time he gave me his cell phone and told me to call him at home ;-) We are going to close the deal tomorrow morning when he goes into the office, so all my fingers and toes and elbows and eyes are crossed that the story in the morning is the same as it was tonight, and I'll be able to make a really happy new member post tomorrow!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter