Impressions from 1st OKW visit

KMarie

Mouseketeer
We just got back from our first stay ever at OKW. It was wonderful! Everything you OKW owners have said about the 1-bedrooms being spacious and home-like is true! We are BWV owners who have stayed in a 1-bedroom and a studio at our home resort, and we were anxious to try OKW.

We spent our first night in an OKW studio, and, unfortunately, were unhappy. While the room itself was bigger than the studio at BWV, the "kitchen" area was smaller. We found we prefer the queen bed and sofa-bed combination at BVW to the two queen beds at OKW. To us, the OKW studio seemed more like a hotel room, while the BVW studio seems more like an apartment, but that's just our personal taste. The OKW studio was room 3210 on Turtle Pond Rd., an end room on the building, near the street. All we heard all night long were the roar of the buses. That combined with the noise coming from the adjoining room's lock-out door, and a need for the whirlpool tub for sore backs, prompted us to request an upgrade to a 1-bedroom, which we were lucky to be able to do! We moved to room 3321, still on Turtle Pond Rd. It was beautiful, still close to the bus stop, but back from the street, making it quiet. We rarely heard noises from our neighbors through the lock-out door. (We tried to be considerate about noise ourselves, and hope we succeeded!)I'd stay in a 1-bed. at OKW again in a minute!

The bus service was erratic. One night we waited an hour at Downtown Disney for a bus to OKW. Other times, the buses seemed to be running every 20 minutes or so. However, I found it much faster to get out of OKW than to get back to it by bus.

We also checked out the model rooms at WLV. They are very nice and extremely well-themed. We saw a 1-bedroom and a studio. Both seemed, to us, a little smaller than at BWV (and OKW). The kitchen in the 1-bed. was definitely smaller than at BWV, and the bedroom seemed smaller, too.

We also attended the Tuesday member update meeting at OKW. The presentation was mainly a sales pitch for add-on points. I have the financing cost sheets for HH, VB, and WLV with that were handed out, if anyone has questions.

In response to questions after the meeting, we were told was that WLV is about 20% sold out, and at the rate it is selling, it could be sold out by end of this year. If that occurs, we were told, BCV might (emphasize might, nothing definite) go on sale earlier than planned. We had dinner at the Beach Club one night, and could see the steel for the buildings going up on the left side of the Beach Club as you face the front check-in area.

Sorry this went on so long. If anyone has any questions about our OKW experience and observations, what the WLV rooms look like, or what was said at the member meeting, I'd be happy to try to answer. All in all, we had a great, relaxing time!

KMarie

Sorry to hear about your bad location at OKW. I try to stay away from the main roads because of the possible bus noise - you can request a location next time in advance.

I actually prefer the studios at OKW - I find the square shape of the room feels more spacious, also having two windows (patio and in front)is nice.

We're going to try VWL this summer - can't wait.

hi and thanks for posting. i've never stayed at okw. was there anything to do at night after you returned from the parks? we're not particularly thrilled with any of the bus service; we can't ever seem to mesh our schedule with the bus schedules so this is our fault. my main concern is teenagers at okw- will they have anything to do while at the resort? i've been intrigued by the units at okw, but their location always makes me think of the di units and lack of theming, poor location, and iffy bus service. now that you've stayed at bwv and okw, are the larger units for less points worth the difference in location in your opinion?

Hi WDW,
We have stayed at OKW and BWV. OKW is as described larger rooms, more laid back. It is a nice resort. We have found that there is not much to do after returning from the parks, except swim or go in the hot tub. If you get hungry you will not find food after 10:00pm. I have read posts about people who say their teens prefer it, so it depends on your teens. Ours prefer BW. They find more activities, the ease to the parks and the mini-golf at Fantasia Gardens. For us the larger rooms are not worth giving up the location, but let me make it clear, this is what is right FOR US.

It really is a personal preference.

For us, even if the units were the same size and the points the same, the ability to park right in front of your unit and not be in the middle of a hotel, make OKW our first choice. I feel more like I am on vacation, I truly feel home without the endless corridors and hotel trappings.

The large units and lower points are just a bonus.

Some people like chocolate, some strawberry, I really dislike strawberry. I didn't know that till I tried it. You need to experience both resorts, at least visit it or make plans for a split stay next trip.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs", Karl Marx, pretty sick, huh?

In January, we spent one night in OKW 1 BDR and 2 nites at BWV 1 bdr. My 18 year old DS definitely preferred BWV. Said that there wasn't enough to do at OKW after the parks closed.

In response to your question about things to do, there is a small video game room, and teenagers were using it when we were there. In addition to the 3 swimming pools in the resort, there are tennis, volleyball and basketball courts. You can rent surrey bikes and ride around the resort. You also can rent pedal boats, pontoon boats, and hyrdo bikes and venture down the Trumbo Canal. The Lake Buena Vista golf course is nearby and winds through the resort. For younger kids, activites are run in the Community Hall. Kids were doing some kind of crafts when we there. After the parks close, though, there really isn't much to do, other than the game room, I think. It's interesting that you would ask this question because I have teenagers in my family and they just love the Boardwalk, which is one of the many reasons why we own there. But, everyone's preferences are different, and even every trip can be different, I think. For this trip, we were looking for a more relaxed, home-like atmosphere, and we found it at OKW.

I just wanted to make an additional comment about VWL. I really loved the decor of this resort! The northwest lodge theme was carried right down to the tiles in the shower (relief figures of moose, bear, etc.) and the doors of the washer-dryer closet in the 1-bedroom were carved with leaf cutouts. It reminded me of a cabin in the woods. I'm anxious to stay there. :)

I must agree with KMARIE about the studio's at OKW. I much prefer the BWV studio for exactly the same reasons. I hate the two queen setup. I like the ability to sit on something other than a bed. :cool:

So glad you liked our "home". We don't care to take the bus to DD either. It is so near but takes so long on the bus. Instead, we go to the walkway behind building 55 and walk there in 10 minutes. Also, the pontoon is usually faster than the buses. ;)

Disneydiane
mickey36.gif

Well, we are OKW owners and empty nesters. We like to park infront of our door, love the large 1 BR and all the wrap around windowns, rise late and enjoy coffee watching the golfers, return from the parks and are not looking for anymore to do, prop up our feet and watch the news. The bus noise has never bothered us and we stayed in bldg 23 one time right next to the bridge in a 1 BR.
But if we had teenagers they would probably want to be at BWV. I would to if I was a teenager. But alas we are not and we like all the above about OKW!

KMarie, I have a question. You said you were upgraded to a 1 bedroom. Did you get a free upgrade or did you have to use more points?? Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I hate the two queen setup. I like the ability to sit on something other than a bed. [/quote]

But I prefer to sleepon something other than a couch! ;)

FYI -- There are chairs to sit on in the OKW studio as well as lounging on the bed.

I agree with KMARIA about the two queens as apposed to a sofa bed and from what I've heard from most people is that a choice would be nice. But several months ago DVD brought this up at a member meeting and the people in attendance voted no because they were afraid their dues would rise to pay for the sofas. They also voted no on a water slide because they didn't want to pay for lifeguards. I think for my points,my dues would have gone up $3.00 for the year to have both. I was disappointed both were rejected.

We used additional points. My ressie was for a studio, and, having never been to OKW before, we thought it would suit us for this particular trip. We were so glad to be able to upgrade because it really made a difference in our comfort level. I highly recommend the one-bedrooms at OKW because they are like being at home. :)

KMarie et al,

We have never upgraded our room after arrival. How do you do that? Do you call MS from the resort or go to the front desk? I would assume this would only work if there had been enough cancelations or other availability.

We own at BWV but we have stayed at OKW twice. The Diffrence between OKW and BWV is huge. Both appeal to different people for different reasons (I love both). Both are truly beautiful resorts, and both have their good points. My goal is to try all the DVC properties because all give you a different kind of vacation.

Joe in CT

p.s its snowing....AGAIN!!!...2 days to OKW!!!

Wdw,
I guess as you can see the general consensus of teens enjoy BW more, it just has more activities/opportunities for them.
BTW I have yet to hear a TEEN complain about, hotel atmosphere, parking or long corridors. As far as teens go the ice cream flavor they enjoy is generally whichever all the other teens are eating at that moment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter