• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Important news if you're heading south on I-75 out of Detroit

PanamaMike

DIS Veteran
February 4th, 2017, a long stretch of I-75 southbound just south of the Ambassador Bridge, closed.

There is major bridge and road repair taking place during the closure.

The detour will require heading west before taking I-275 south to connect with I-75 and will add 30-35 miles to your southbound trip.

Northbound lanes will remain open.

This project will take two years to complete.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc.../05/i75-south-february-construction/94991608/

Anyone with suggestions on new route? Sarnia crossing? or what about Niagara Falls and driving across from there?

Thanks for the heads up!

I found this map of the construction area and a few detours:

http://www.toledoblade.com/image/2017/02/03/600x600/0203DetroitI-75Detour.jpg

The official detour is I-96 to I-275 because I-94 is already close to capacity. Crossing at Sarnia will give you an additional choice of I-94 to I-696 to I-275 which is an option for me as I usually go to the Costco in Roseville (near the I-94/I-696 interchange) to gas up.

This might be the year that I try a route that goes through West Virginia to go to Disney.

This might be the year that I try a route that goes through West Virginia to go to Disney.

We did that route last fall for the first time, it wasn't as busy and more scenic BUT way too many hills! Up & down for hours :crazy2: We couldn't get out of the mountains fast enough.

Also not nearly as many places to eat and stop over night at as I-75, so be prepared for that as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter