I'm Not Really Harry Potter, But I AM the Rebel Spy! Oct 2016 TR *COMPLETE + New TR Link 8/6

Yikes, that fall down the belt onto concrete freaks me out...especially not being able to hurry to help! Glad he was okay and you had a great MK day!

All caught up!

Go big or go home, right?

Sounds like y'all had a pretty productive MK morning! :)

Haha Exactly!!! I guess if you're going to totally throw off your kids' schedules, you might as well be doing it at Disney World so you can ride the Mine Train!

Despite the super early wake up time and worrying what that would mean with our late night coming up, we did actually get a lot done in those early morning hours in the park. So I guess that makes it a win!

Yikes, that fall down the belt onto concrete freaks me out...especially not being able to hurry to help! Glad he was okay and you had a great MK day!

I know, it wasn't one of our finer moments for sure. Now I'm careful to remind him not to hurry down the belt.

Man, I have really been falling behind on my DIS time! It's been so hectic around here, and our weekends have been a lot busier than usual. So I'm sorry if I have been neglecting your TR, I really need to get caught up and I plan to try to tackle some of that today! Our desktop has also been giving us trouble, and it's the one I usually upload photos on, hence why I haven't posted much. It's been taking forever to get photos uploaded, and then I still have to find time to sit down and type everything up.

We also have made some progress in our upcoming trips! We finally got DS's school calendar for next year so we could plan out our mini-Universal trip with him. There was a date in September and a date in October that he has a day off of school for teacher in-services, and October was our first choice. But then I realized I'd be overlapping with one of my co-workers who is taking her son on his first Disney trip (and was actually going to choose to go the week of Columbus Day until I convinced her not to! Ugh) and I couldn't take those days. So we ended up having to go with the September date. I'm not thrilled about it because of the ungodly heat, but I'm looking forward to hopefully low crowds, and the lower prices actually allowed us to add on a day to our trip! So we will have 5 nights at Royal Pacific and 4 days at the parks.

But, for now, let's head back in time to October 2016...

Day 4 Continued: Tuesday October 11th

It’s not in my notes, but it looks like we stopped at the Rapunzel bathrooms, and somehow I convinced DH to take photos of the decorations inside the men’s room.

After a quick potty stop, we went over to Adventureland to use our next FP at Pirates of the Caribbean!

After some Caribbean fun, we had a Jungle Cruise FP to use…either I was able to move the time up or we had used our Pirates one near the end of our window, I’m not really sure. But we were off to our next adventure.

I guess DH was not in a photo taking mood today, because that’s all I have from the Jungle Cruise! We may have been seated in the middle of the boat, which is not conducive to photo taking.

It was about 11:15 when we returned from our trip through the jungle. We had this great idea to have lunch at Casey’s while watching the next Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire. We even caught a few minutes of Move It Shake It, or whatever it is called now.

Our plan turned into a small disaster, but lunch happened, though the show…not so much. I managed to get a table on the Plaza side of the gardens and started getting the kids settled. I had little vegetable cups for DD and was opening her green beans when she knocked into my hands and the water from the cup went all in my lap. So that wasn’t fun. And then it turned out our view of the castle show was terrible, but at least we could hear the music.

We decided to head out of the park after lunch to take a nap. On the way out, we paused to see the Dapper Dans.

We got back to Bonnet Creek around 1 for our pre-party break. DS went right to sleep, but DD took a little longer, I guess since she had gotten in a cat nap in the carrier that morning. Eventually she did fall asleep, and we all got about 1.5 hours of rest before it was time to get up and get party ready!

DS was transformed into Harry James Potter!

Untitled
by disneymom1024, on Flickr
And DD was made over into Minnie Mouse!

Untitled
This was the best I could get as she was running all around while I tried to take her picture. I had brought her real Minnie Mouse costume, but decided at the last minute that it was too bulky for her to spend most of the night in the carrier. I had packed this Disneybound of Minnie for her just in case, and decided to go with that for the party instead.

We left at 4:15 to head back to MK and were happy upon arrival at the TTC to see that, at least for now, there were still tickets available so that meant it wasn’t going to be sold out like our party in 2015!

We took the ferry over to the gates and quickly got our wristbands.
This year, things were a little different when we got into MK. Party guests were being directed down the backstage path that had pretty recently been re-done between the Chapeau and the Plaza.

Along the path, there were several Photopass photographers with the old Halloween statues that used to be around the Hub area for photo-ops, and they were giving out the treat bags along with a “starter pack” of candy that had full sized candy bars and bags of M&Ms.

It was a fun way to be welcomed into the park as a party guest, so we really loved that new procedure. We were excited to experience the upcoming party activities, but before that, we had a few regular park things we wanted to accomplish first, and one of them meant we needed to get closer to the Castle. So that's where we headed next!

UP NEXT: We Are Links In a Chain Made of Silver and Gold

I hear you about being busy - just so much get crammed into the weekends so next to now downtime. That is nice you got next year's school calendar though and were able to book the next trip

Bummer about the water in your lap and lunch just not working out like you thoughts/wanted - but at least you got lunch in and then were able to get the nap in

Cute costumes!

Glad you like the new procedures. We've never done a party but based on pictures we have seen from trip reports it seems like, while nice, the "Starter" candy is probably not needed

Cute costumes! Also interesting to hear about the party entry procedures - I had no idea they did that now. Can't wait till October! :hyper:

Loving your updates! Your DH's pictures are fantastic - so nice he takes the time and effort to document your trips and also share them with us. Love the Halloween party costumes - your DS makes a great HP and DD of course is adorable. Can't wait to read about the party. One of these years we'll make it to MNSSHP! We'll be there early December and will buy tickets for MVMCP. Anxious for the tickets to go on sale!

Sounds like a good rest of the morning! Sorry lunch was a little bit of a disaster though :(

Aww the kids look SO cute in their costumes! And I love the pre-party photo ops!

Hello!

I'm sure I've read portions of your TR's before (and possibly even commented?), but wanted to officially join in! I've spent the past through days looking at your past reports and watching your kids grow up throughout your Disney trips. I'm glad your son has gone from not being fond of the Barnstormer to loving Test Track!

Your TR's are great fun to read, your husband's pictures are AWESOME, and your kids are just adorable! I'm especially impressed with your husband's pictures on the dark and constantly moving rides - I can never get my pictures on Pirates or Haunted Mansion to come out well, and many of my pictures on Pooh are a blur! I'm also impressed at how many trips you've taken with such a young baby! Finally, I love that you adore Harry Potter just like you love Disney (and I love your son's MNNSHP costume!). Thank you for so many great reports! :goodvibes

In regard to your current TR:

What an ugly start to the trip! I'm glad you were within driving distance so you could reorganize your travel to Disney.

It's a bummer that you missed Wishes (I still can't believe they got rid of WISHES?! :sad2: ), but at least you'd seen it multiple times before. Hopefully the new show is good?

Wow, your son was the rebel spy TWICE?! That's awesome! I always sit and look forward as soon as possible in order to have a chance to be the rebel spy, but no luck yet! I think they often choose kids, though, so perhaps my chance at being rebel spy has passed me by! :laughing:

Well, even though you missed Wishes, it's nice you made it to the Welcome show! I FINALLY caught it in full during my last trip in 2016 - thank goodness as now that's gone, too! (What on earth are they doing with all these mainstays?!) It was a great way to kick off a very full and productive morning in MK!

I look forward to hearing all about your latest MNNSHP experience!

lol thanks for showing the tangled mens room! What a fun start to the party too <3 that is interesting about the new entrance but nice they had the statues and photopass people out! That's awesome. And so great to start with some candy. Paxton looks amazing as HP!! (And Delilah is so cute as minnie, good idea to keep her in something more comfy)

Hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful Easter Sunday! We did our visiting yesterday, so we are home relaxing today and watching Moana, which DS got in his basket from the Easter Bunny.
So how many times have you seen it since Easter? Our kids got Moana and Sing. I think we've seen each one approximately 10,000 times since then.

DS and I had a great time! I don’t love this coaster and don’t think the hype around it is warranted, but DS absolutely loves it and it’s so enjoyable to him have such a blast riding it.
I tend to agree with you about it, but it really is a great coaster for kids. And it does have some nice theming to it.

We had a nice cool ride around Tomorrowland, but the peace wasn’t long lived. On the way down the platform, I glanced at my phone to see if DH had called or texted, and when I looked down, DS was tumbling down the conveyor and hit the pavement at the bottom. I think he was trying to run down and lost his balance. Luckily he was okay, but he was hollering like a banshee and I couldn’t exactly run down to him with DD strapped to my chest.
Oh no! The Peoplemover surfer had a wipeout! I'm glad it wasn't anything serious.

Before heading over to use our next FP, we decided to stop at the Carrousel first since the wait was short.
Is it possible to walk past the carousel without stopping for a ride when you have kids? I mean really, has it ever been done?

Man, I have really been falling behind on my DIS time!
You and me both...

We may have been seated in the middle of the boat, which is not conducive to photo taking.
Good point.

I had little vegetable cups for DD and was opening her green beans when she knocked into my hands and the water from the cup went all in my lap.
Those things are convenient, but they are just a disaster waiting to happen.

And then it turned out our view of the castle show was terrible, but at least we could hear the music.
Well, it was a good idea anyway.

This was the best I could get as she was running all around while I tried to take her picture. I had brought her real Minnie Mouse costume, but decided at the last minute that it was too bulky for her to spend most of the night in the carrier. I had packed this Disneybound of Minnie for her just in case, and decided to go with that for the party instead.
I like the costume. Probably a good choice to go with the more comfortable option.

Along the path, there were several Photopass photographers with the old Halloween statues that used to be around the Hub area for photo-ops, and they were giving out the treat bags along with a “starter pack” of candy that had full sized candy bars and bags of M&Ms.
Full size candy bars and M&Ms are a great way to get the evening started off right!!!

While September will be hotter, more park time is always a plus! That's more opportunities to drink Butterbeer.:rotfl2:

Very cute costumes for MNSSHP.

Full sized candy bars in the "welcome bags"...who would need to go trick or treating after that? :rotfl:

I hear you about being busy - just so much get crammed into the weekends so next to now downtime. That is nice you got next year's school calendar though and were able to book the next trip

Bummer about the water in your lap and lunch just not working out like you thoughts/wanted - but at least you got lunch in and then were able to get the nap in

Cute costumes!

Glad you like the new procedures. We've never done a party but based on pictures we have seen from trip reports it seems like, while nice, the "Starter" candy is probably not needed

Our weekends have been packed lately, which is so not typical for us! But at least it has helped the time pass by quickly for our trip!

It was not an ideal last few minutes in the park, but at least we got out for our break and made it count.

I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as unneeded candy!! :rotfl2:

Oh my goodness their costumes are adorable!! Can't wait to read all about the party! :)

Thanks so much!

Cute costumes! Also interesting to hear about the party entry procedures - I had no idea they did that now. Can't wait till October! :hyper:

Thanks! I didn't realize it had changed either at the time so it was a nice surprise. Hope y'all have fun! I'm trying to make a party on our September/Universal trip happen. :woohoo:

Loving your updates! Your DH's pictures are fantastic - so nice he takes the time and effort to document your trips and also share them with us. Love the Halloween party costumes - your DS makes a great HP and DD of course is adorable. Can't wait to read about the party. One of these years we'll make it to MNSSHP! We'll be there early December and will buy tickets for MVMCP. Anxious for the tickets to go on sale!

Thank you! He definitely works hard to take and edit all of the thousands of photos he takes so that I have lots for the TRs!

Hopefully you get to try the Halloween party. We absolutely LOVE it!

Sounds like a good rest of the morning! Sorry lunch was a little bit of a disaster though :(

Aww the kids look SO cute in their costumes! And I love the pre-party photo ops!

It was a great morning up until that lunch, which was just a series of frustrating events. I'm glad we were leaving to take a nap after!

Thanks!

Hello!

I'm sure I've read portions of your TR's before (and possibly even commented?), but wanted to officially join in! I've spent the past through days looking at your past reports and watching your kids grow up throughout your Disney trips. I'm glad your son has gone from not being fond of the Barnstormer to loving Test Track!

Welcome along!! It's kind of crazy to look back on old TRs and see how far he has come. It will be fun to do the same with DD!

Your TR's are great fun to read, your husband's pictures are AWESOME, and your kids are just adorable! I'm especially impressed with your husband's pictures on the dark and constantly moving rides - I can never get my pictures on Pirates or Haunted Mansion to come out well, and many of my pictures on Pooh are a blur! I'm also impressed at how many trips you've taken with such a young baby! Finally, I love that you adore Harry Potter just like you love Disney (and I love your son's MNNSHP costume!). Thank you for so many great reports! :goodvibes

Thank you for the kind words! That's another thing that has improved over the years, my writing & his photos! lol It was really a surprise to us too that we managed to make so many trips over the life of that AP, and with an infant in tow almost every time too. I don't think I could have managed it with DS when he was that young because he was a more needy baby where DD has always been pretty go with the flow, so it really couldn't have worked out any better that we had so many opportunities to go. I think I've done a pretty good job turning DS into a Disney junkie and a Potter head!! lol

What an ugly start to the trip! I'm glad you were within driving distance so you could reorganize your travel to Disney.

It was probably the worst drive to Disney we'd ever made, so I was beyond thankful when we finally made it there. We are lucky though to be close enough that it was an option so we didn't have to cancel or shorten our trip.

It's a bummer that you missed Wishes (I still can't believe they got rid of WISHES?! :sad2: ), but at least you'd seen it multiple times before. Hopefully the new show is good?

I'm glad we had so many opportunities to see it, even if we did miss it on this last trip and didn't know it would be going away. Did you watch the live stream of Happily Ever After? Didn't pack the same emotional punch for me as Wishes, but I think they did a great job with it and I'm glad they didn't skimp on the fireworks, as the rumors had thought they would. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person one day, although that probably won't happen until late next year at the earliest.

Wow, your son was the rebel spy TWICE?! That's awesome! I always sit and look forward as soon as possible in order to have a chance to be the rebel spy, but no luck yet! I think they often choose kids, though, so perhaps my chance at being rebel spy has passed me by! :laughing:

I don't know what criteria they use or what kind of trick there might be to getting picked, so I was really amazed he was picked two rides in a row! And of course, he was totally thrilled with it.

Well, even though you missed Wishes, it's nice you made it to the Welcome show! I FINALLY caught it in full during my last trip in 2016 - thank goodness as now that's gone, too! (What on earth are they doing with all these mainstays?!) It was a great way to kick off a very full and productive morning in MK!

Yes, another thing we loved that now is gone too! And a pretty pitiful replacement for that really, so I don't know that we will be keeping our tradition of pre park opening breakfasts at Crystal Palace now that the added bonus of empty Main Street is pretty much gone. I was hoping it was just temporary while the train was under refurb, but looks like it's here to stay unfortunately. I can't imagine what they were thinking getting rid of it!

lol thanks for showing the tangled mens room! What a fun start to the party too <3 that is interesting about the new entrance but nice they had the statues and photopass people out! That's awesome. And so great to start with some candy. Paxton looks amazing as HP!! (And Delilah is so cute as minnie, good idea to keep her in something more comfy)

Haha I was surprised he did that, but very appreciative!!

It was a nice way to kind of get into more of the middle of the park without having to navigate the congestion on Main Street, so I appreciated that they had added it. And of course, I'll never say no to more candy! lol

Thank you! I have my cousin to thank for most of the costume, actually. I only had to buy him the robes & wand, and she supplied everything else because she already had it all from a cosplay she had done! It worked out perfectly.

So how many times have you seen it since Easter? Our kids got Moana and Sing. I think we've seen each one approximately 10,000 times since then.

We have watched the movie a ton, but listened to the soundtrack even more! All 4 of us love it. The hospital where I work has some really talented ER nurses, and they did an amazing job decorating the sliding glass doors of one of the trauma rooms.

moana2

moana1
by disneymom1024, on Flickr​

I tend to agree with you about it, but it really is a great coaster for kids. And it does have some nice theming to it.

I think it's one of those things where anticipation was high because of the frenzy over it. It's a great ride though, and DS absolutely loves it, so I love that about it. And the theming is wonderful!

Oh no! The Peoplemover surfer had a wipeout! I'm glad it wasn't anything serious.

I was so glad he wasn't badly hurt. It was a scary moment!

Is it possible to walk past the carousel without stopping for a ride when you have kids? I mean really, has it ever been done?

I don't think so! At least, not with our kids.

Those things are convenient, but they are just a disaster waiting to happen.

So very true. It was great that it kept DD from eating nothing but junk for a week, but so messy at times!

I like the costume. Probably a good choice to go with the more comfortable option.

Thanks! It was definitely the better choice for the evening since, as suspected, she did end up spending most of the night in the carrier.

Full size candy bars and M&Ms are a great way to get the evening started off right!!!

I totally agree!

I am enjoying your TR. I will be going for out first MNSSHP in 2018.

Thanks! Hope you enjoy the party. We absolutely love it and always look forward to when we can do another one!

While September will be hotter, more park time is always a plus! That's more opportunities to drink Butterbeer.:rotfl2:

Very cute costumes for MNSSHP.

Full sized candy bars in the "welcome bags"...who would need to go trick or treating after that? :rotfl:

More excuses for frozen butterbeer are always appreciated. lol

Thanks!

We left that night with sooooooooo much candy. They were handing out so much good stuff!

Day 4 Continued: Tuesday October 11th

When I left off, we had gotten back into MK for MNSSHP!

After getting our pictures taken and a starter pack of candy, we emerged by the Plaza and had a little time to decide what to do before dinner. Then we realized we could catch the 5:15 pm Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire show, so we made our way up to the castle to see that.

We really loved this show! I was a huge fan of Dream Along With Mickey, and I tend to dislike change, but I thought this was a great change that they have made to the parks. I love that they change up the costuming and themeing some depending on the season as well. The songs were catchy, and of course it uses songs and characters from some of my favorite Disney movies, so that was an even bigger bonus.

One of our priorities before the 7 pm party start time was getting something to eat, so once the show ended, we walked over to Cosmic Ray’s to get dinner. There was a CM walking around with some cutouts and offering to take pictures of guests with them. They were pretty silly, but made a some cute photo of my own Boy Who Lived.

Our plan for each party we have attended was to have one special character we focused on and get in line early for them. At our first party, we (*ahem* I) decided our priority was the princesses with their princes because I wanted to meet Flynn Rider. At our second, I gave DS the choice and he picked seeing Minnie, Daisy, and Donald in their Halloween costumes. This year, we had discussed all of the options and decided on Winnie the Pooh and friends in their costumes. I decided to go over and see what the wait time situation was while DH and DS went to ride the Tomorrowland Speedway. The previous year we had ended up waiting about an hour to meet the characters because we waited too long to go get a spot in line, and I didn’t want that to happen this year and waste party time. They actually had not started the party line officially, though a few people were hanging around the area for the same reason, so I stayed in the area until the party line was formed at 6:30. We ended up 4th in line, so I thought that would be a pretty good position for meeting them without wasting too much party time.

Meanwhile, over in Tomorrowland, the boys were breathing in the lovely fumes…uh, scents…of the Speedway.

After their ride, they came over to join us in line. I noticed this year, there were a lot more wristband checks while we were waiting, which I appreciated. It’s nice to know they are making sure non-party folks aren’t clogging up the lines for party characters.

Once 7 pm hit, Pooh & friends arrived in their Halloween best!

This was the first of many times DS was called “Harry” or “Harry Potter” throughout the night, but he was always quick to correct them and say, “I’m not REALLY Harry Potter!” It was so cute how he wanted to make sure they didn’t mistake him for the REAL Harry, and he would also frequently let them know that he didn’t really wear glasses either. Sometimes he would even ask DH or I “Why does everyone keep calling me Harry?” It was so cute!

DS ran right over for hugs.

DD took a little more time to warm up. While in the line, she had been really excited about seeing them, but once we got closer, she wasn’t too sure.

She didn’t get any closer than that on her own and made me pick her up before she would get any closer to them.

She really liked Tigger!

Our plan worked, and we were finished with our priority meet by 7:10. We had made a quick plan while eating of how to spend the time between meeting Winnie the Pooh and finding a spot for the first parade, so we headed off to Trick or Treat at all of the spots in Fantasyland, Liberty Square, and Frontierland.

UP NEXT: More MNSSHP

We really loved this show! I was a huge fan of Dream Along With Mickey, and I tend to dislike change, but I thought this was a great change that they have made to the parks. I love that they change up the costuming and themeing some depending on the season as well. The songs were catchy, and of course it uses songs and characters from some of my favorite Disney movies, so that was an even bigger bonus.
I don't like change either, but from what I've seen of this show (only online and reviews, I've yet to see it in person) it seems like a good replacement. I do miss the "we're havin' a party, a castle party" song that I used to sing to DD and drive her nuts! :P

Our plan for each party we have attended was to have one special character we focused on and get in line early for them.
I've gone to two MSSHP and have only met Mickey in his Halloween costume. Maybe we didn't get the planning quite right, but the lines were always so long we just didn't want to spend the time. I think Pooh and the gang are pretty cute in their costumes though.

So far the party is going well! Your kids are so cute with the characters. Smart to have a game plan ahead of time. I just bought tickets to MVMCP. We went 6 years ago and spent way too much party time waiting in line for the 7 Dwarves. This time around I'm going in with a plan - or a tentative one anyway. Hope the rest of your night is fun!

I think my take on the change from Dream Along with Mickey tot he new show is totally impacted by my emotional memories of Dream Along with Mickey - one particular memory of Olivia on her granddad's shoulders watching it (plus, tough to beat "gosh Minnie, you'll always be a princess to me!") ... so the new one doesn't have the same emotional punch to me - but it is a well put together show!

Definitely seems like your plan worked to get that meet in - 7:10 and done with you one priority meet? I'd say success!

This is a really cute picture and also reminds me of scale of the characters to kids ... like, if someone told me to go walk up to a 12 foot tall bear wearing a bee costume, I would probably be hesitant too

I love the pics of the castle show! We never got to see this on our last trip, so it will definitely be a priority for the next trip! I love the costumes!

Adorable pics with the Pooh Gang! So cute that DS kept correcting everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter