I'm NEVER staying home for March Break again! FINISHED 07/17 Just in time!

Oh you have convinced me that I need to book this for my sons bday! Now to convince DH

Wow just finished reading your report. we were considering DL for our March break(1week earlier in NB) but I just had too many questions which some you answered. My wife is also a teacher so March break or summer for us. Maybe next year with a few unpaid leave days since it is so far. How was the Hollywood tour? worth it?

we are also consideringnthe HoJo and you convinced me a top floor with view would be the best! We've been to WDW 3 times with the kids but would like to see Walt's original park. I could tell by your clothing that it wasn't warm. so it was cooler than should've been?

Oh you have convinced me that I need to book this for my sons bday! Now to convince DH

Good luck! I think it is totally worth it. Hopefully your hubby will be convinced too. The character interaction is awesome, and I'm sure it would be even better with children around!

Wow just finished reading your report. we were considering DL for our March break(1week earlier in NB) but I just had too many questions which some you answered. My wife is also a teacher so March break or summer for us. Maybe next year with a few unpaid leave days since it is so far. How was the Hollywood tour? worth it?

we are also consideringnthe HoJo and you convinced me a top floor with view would be the best! We've been to WDW 3 times with the kids but would like to see Walt's original park. I could tell by your clothing that it wasn't warm. so it was cooler than should've been?

One week was great, if you can get the right flights. We were supposed to arrive before noon, and then leave the next Saturday at 10pm. It meant basically 7.5 days. It was lovely. If you want to see more, like Universal, San Diego etc, you would probably need more time, if you're big Disney fans like me.

I liked the Hollywood tour, it was fun to see things and our bus driver was great. I would assume each tour is a little different because of the driver - they can't actually follow a script while driving. I don't know if it's something I would do each and every time, but I'd probably do it again. I wouldn't have been to the Farmer's Market, Venice Beach or the Walk of Fame otherwise.

We loved our Hojo room. And Blanche could see the fireworks from her bed! She was lying in her bed some nights watching fireworks. Talk about a good view. ;)

The weather was colder than usual. It had been a good winter there, but was colder that week than earlier, from what people told us. The first few days we had highs of 15/16 but lows of 7-10 too. We did hit 27, but it was windy the whole week. It was still lovely, but I want to go back sometime when it is warm!

BTW how were the crowds compared to WDW in your opinion for this time of the year?

BTW how were the crowds compared to WDW in your opinion for this time of the year?

I am not overly bothered by the crowds. It's been a while since I was at WDW in March, but I found I did a lot. I followed touring plans and avoided waits that were too long. And I was new to Disney at that point. I had gone before I discovered the Dis as well, so that didn't help.

I did find that from Monday-Thursday it was great. Not long rides. I was able to get a fastpass for Indy on Sunday in the evening, but by the next Friday and Saturday you could feel a difference. Wait times were way longer. So all in all, it was great until the following weekend, if that is accurate with most years, you might be fine for your week!

March 18, 2012, Part 5 : Window Shopping!

After escaping the hold of the flirtatious, yet sometimes dangerous, pirate, (Did I mention that I told Captain Hook that he was sweet and must be misunderstood? That he's not really bad... And he held his hand up to say "just a little bit!"? If I did, sorry, if not, I thought he had a cute reaction!) we were magically transported to a beautiful street in an old American village. We decided to browse the shops on this street while heading down the street towards the Town Square where we had an appointment scheduled.

Blanche had a bottle of ketchup thrown on her by one of the store clerks who must have been surprised by my fancy new-fangled camera and her futuristic clothing. (The CM working in the Magic store is my kind of guy. Blanche walked in and he said “Someone forgot their ketchup here.” And squeezed a bottle of ketchup at her, causing the cover to fly off (attached by a string). She screamed and I laughed!)

Plaza Inn outdoor seating 2 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Plaza Inn outdoor seating by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Since I love to take pictures... (Flashback story - I was in university when I bought my first SLR, and when I showed my father, he asked how much it cost me. I pretended I didn't hear him and went to my room. He asked again and my mother answered him while I pretended I didn't hear.... I heard a "WHAT?" and still pretended to be oblivious to his reaction. I came out a few minutes later and he said "Well, at least I know it's not going to go to waste!" It took me 6 years to learn how to use it and take it off auto, but I loved it. Within another year I bought a DSLR. (Canon Eos Rebel XT) I took over 12,000 pictures with it before I upgraded to the T1i, which I bought in November 2009. I have taken over 16,000 pictures with it since then, and I now have the kit lens, a big zoom and a fast lens.... and I'm looking for another one and a flash soon... since the lovely folks on the photography board talked me into that instead of a new camera and they are right!) So, as I was saying: Since I love taking pictures, I had to take pictures of the "Photo Supply store".

Photography Supplies by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Photography stuff by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Disney... Christmas... Shopping...

Some of my favorites!

[
Ornaments by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Beauty and the Beast by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

I didn't buy anything, but I took pictures... many pictures! I'll only post a few. Sometimes I just take pictures of cute things, sometimes I take pictures of things I want to remember to buy later!

Minnie by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Hotel by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Ticket taker by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Movie Theatre 1 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

I like how some of these heads are closer... a few "couples"...

Movie Theatre 2 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Movie Theatre 3 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Sorry about the red eyes. I forgot to fix them.

Theatre B by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Movie Theatre 4 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

I loved this and made a mental (and photographic) note to buy one later. It was one of those deals where if you spent a certain amount of money, you could buy it for a special price. They had a gold one and it was priced at $40-$50.

Castle Throw by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

I made another note to get one of these. I'd wanted to buy one in 09, but didn't. And I forgot again! Oh well, I guess it means I'll have to go back and buy one! Hee hee hee

Disney Parks by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

I love his shorts.

Darth Goofy by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Cute glasses by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Loving the pictures, thanks for sharing!! I can't believe how empty the Plaza was for your breakfast and how many characters were there. We haven't been there for breakfast since around 2002 and we definitely didn't have that much interaction. I was a rookie then so we probably did a walk up during the busiest time, now I know better!
I look forward to future updates!

Loving the pictures, thanks for sharing!! I can't believe how empty the Plaza was for your breakfast and how many characters were there. We haven't been there for breakfast since around 2002 and we definitely didn't have that much interaction. I was a rookie then so we probably did a walk up during the busiest time, now I know better!
I look forward to future updates!

I know all about rookie mistakes! I love getting in to the parks early for breakfasts. I figure most people didn't want to be around for 7:10am! Good luck and I highly recommend the Plaza Inn again for you! :thumbsup2 I'll keep plugging away at the TR, don't worry! I want to keep looking at all my pictures and remember the trip anyway! :yay:

I am getting so excited for our trip now. Its great seeing fellow canadians and see how they lived it up!

How long of a flight was it for you, you may have mentioned it but I missed it!

I am getting so excited for our trip now. Its great seeing fellow canadians and see how they lived it up!

How long of a flight was it for you, you may have mentioned it but I missed it!

I am happy to help you stay excited! I wish I had another trip in the works. None right now though. :confused3 I feel so lost!

The flight from PEI to Montreal is about 1.5 hours. The flight from Montreal to LAX was 6 hours. Because of all the delays though, it took us a lot longer. Probably almost 12 hours from the time we left my place to landing. The next time I go, there will NOT be any delays! :rotfl:

I'm enjoying your TR and all the pics! Great job! Thank you for writing it!:thumbsup2

Thank you. And you're welcome. I know I enjoy reading other people's trip reports, so it's fun to be on the other side sharing my trip with everyone else. MANY more pictures to come!

March 18, 2012, Part 6: ICS (Identified Character Sighting!)

The perfectly presentable people (us! haha) were perplexedly pondering all the products to be purchased....

Yep, we were still wandering the shops on our way down Main Street, making many notes about what we wanted to purchase. We came out of one of the shops to cross a little side street and we saw some more characters! MICKEY! PLUTO! I think one visit to WDW or DL, I'm going to have to do some character lines. I haven't done it in quite a while.

This one is not the best picture, but I was just so excited to see the MAIN Mouse himself! And yet, I didn't get in line!

Mickey and Pluto by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

The gallery area was next up.

Jim Henson by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Walt and Mickey by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Spirit of Inspiration by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Spirit of Imagination by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Gallery 1 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Gallery 2 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

I want this one. I should have bought something with it ... a print or a mug at least.

Gallery 3 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Walt's Peanuts by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Sleeping Beauty Castle by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Gallery 4 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Look both ways! by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

We weren't the only cold ones! hahaha

Disney Gallery by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

We decided to head on over to check in for our tour.

Rail Road by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

The castle again... I love castles.

Trolley 2 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Trolley 3 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Guided Tour 1 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

There was someone ahead of us, so I took some pictures in that area while we waited. And watched some CMs literally wipe down all the benches so people could sit. Have I mentioned that I love Disney?

Guided tour 2 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Hidden area by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

We got all checked in. In case anyone is wondering, I had to show my ID and the credit card I used to book the tour. We were doing the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. (I'm about to cry right now, I want to go back!:sad1:) We picked our drinks and our sandwiches and we got these little cards to tie on us so that we were "marked" as part of the tour.

Hi there...

I am really enjoying your trip report, the many pictures and the great style you write with a sense of humor.

I went to Disneyland in 1998 when it was still a single park and again in 2007. In both instances, I only spent one day there and it was really rushed.

My wife and two kids don't know Disneyland yet, so I am thinking about planning a trip for this year or next.

It really looks like you enjoyed your offsite hotel, many people say good things about HoJo, so I am considering to stay there. Is it a lot more expensive for a room with a view?

thank you, Camilo

Hi there...

I am really enjoying your trip report, the many pictures and the great style you write with a sense of humor.

I went to Disneyland in 1998 when it was still a single park and again in 2007. In both instances, I only spent one day there and it was really rushed.

My wife and two kids don't know Disneyland yet, so I am thinking about planning a trip for this year or next.

It really looks like you enjoyed your offsite hotel, many people say good things about HoJo, so I am considering to stay there. Is it a lot more expensive for a room with a view?

thank you, Camilo

Thanks, Camilo! I'm having fun writing it and reliving the trip.

I really liked the HoJo. It was close, the room was clean and big and the staff was helpful and friendly. The rooms seem way more expensive right now for next March break, even with the discount I had. It's showing that it's about $30 a night more for the Disney view than for the cheapest room. They have different room categories too. We think it was totally worth it. The fact that Blanche could see the fireworks from her bed was pretty incredible!

I hope you enjoy your trip! Good luck with planning.

March 18, 2012: Part 7: Waiting some more

After we checked in and I proved that I was actually me and not some fraudster trying to be the Disney Freak from PEI, we decided to continue browsing the shops.... Actually, Blanche found a wall that needed some holding up, inside a store since it was still chilly outside, and I wandered around taking pictures in the shops on the opposite side of Main Street.

Lost parents by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

I noticed the mail boxes this trip. Do they have them at Walt Disney World? I've never noticed them before.

Mail Box by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Transportation by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

One of my closest friends is a volunteer firefighter here in PEI. I like to take pictures of anything fire fighterish when I see it.

Fire Hall 1 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

I liked the old pot bellied stove in the corner too. I should have gone over to get some closeups.

Fire Hall 2 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Fire Hall 3 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Fire Hall 4 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Does anyone know the names of the horses that are listed on the stalls? I do, because I have pictures of them. I will not post them now though, let's see if anyone else noticed that little detail.

Into the shops I go... wishing I had a higher paying job!

Shop by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

I like that Mickey is wearing a Pluto hat!

Mickey wearing Pluto hat by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Monorail by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Train by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

I would definitely buy a Dooney.

Dooney by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

I only wish Disney had rooms to try on their clothing. It's annoying to have to return things when they don't fit right! I wish I'd bought this one to try on.

cute shirt 2 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Love the watches, not the price tags.

lovely, expensive watches by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Another shirt I wanted to buy and try on.... but didn't, unfortunately.

Cute shirt by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Do you look up in the stores? There is usually something to look at!

Store 1 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Store 2 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Shopping 1 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

I'm not a big fan of these ones...

Not so cute by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Up next: Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour

March 18, 2012, Part 8: A Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour

It seemed like I'd been waiting all morning for this tour to start, and I mean it felt like forever. But, it was only 9:20 or so when I finally met our tour guide, Christine. You will laugh, because she looks very grumpy in some of her pictures, but she was not. She was extremely friendly and very knowledgeable. I enjoyed her humor and her expertise. We had a few laughs along the way, sometimes at my expense.

We had a few minutes to wait for all the small group, so I snapped a picture of some more characters as we waited.

Pinocchio by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

There was a married couple with annual passes who lived minutes from the park. There was a mother and a soon to be 21 year old son from Washington State and there was Blanche and me. A small group, but very personal and friendly. In fact, Andrew was the name of the young man, and he saw me a few days later in DCA and called me by name!

Tour Guide by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

The Mad Hatter came over to see what she was talking about. Christine told him that she was telling us all about him. He said something along the lines of "Go on. I want to see if you're telling the truth." She said that he was nice and smart. He said "Oh, I'm outta here, you're lying already!" :rotfl:

Mad Hatter 1 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Mad Hatter 2 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Christine explained that she was allowed to carry an umbrella and not wear the normal (some of it anyways) uniform because it was supposed to rain that day.

Tour Guide 2 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Walt by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Alice by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

I wonder how many times Blanche and I are in other people's vacation photos... or any of you for that matter!

Tour Guide 3 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Walt 2 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

I listened to Christine and participated in the conversation while snapping pictures all around me.

Train Station by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Castle by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Tomorrowland by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Partners by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Castle 2 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Tour Guide 4 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Partners 2 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

White Rabbit by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Castle 3 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

Partners 3 by disneyfreak0306, on Flickr

That's where the Main Street part of the tour ended. I will end this post now, because otherwise, I'll meet the picture limit and have to stop anyway! Hope I'm not boring you with all the pictures!

I think the Mad Hatter is my favorite face character. He is so much fun!

I know this one sure was fun! I love his face, and Christine's (blurry though) in the one where he's walking away.

We at one point or another took our kids to Goofy's Kitchen for their birthdays. We took our daughter Kody for her 8th birthday. Because her name has an odd spelling I called more than once to remind them how it was spelled for the cake. We got there had our meal and they brought the cake out. The Mad Hatter helped to bring the cake out. It was spelled with a C, she was crestfallen. The Mad Hatter thinking quickly ran into the kitchen for the frosting bag and made a big show of changing the C into a K. He made it seem like that was the plan all along. He saved the day! She giggled and loved the special attention. He has been a favorite ever since.

We at one point or another took our kids to Goofy's Kitchen for their birthdays. We took our daughter Kody for her 8th birthday. Because her name has an odd spelling I called more than once to remind them how it was spelled for the cake. We got there had our meal and they brought the cake out. The Mad Hatter helped to bring the cake out. It was spelled with a C, she was crestfallen. The Mad Hatter thinking quickly ran into the kitchen for the frosting bag and made a big show of changing the C into a K. He made it seem like that was the plan all along. He saved the day! She giggled and loved the special attention. He has been a favorite ever since.

I would totally love him after that experience too. That's a wonderful story! What a beautiful memory to have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter