I'm going to take it as a compliment

MamaBelle4

DIS Veteran
We invited my DH's parents on our next trip with us on our points.

They were stoked. They came up to our house this weekend because DH was welding something for them. While we were talking, my MIL asked if I was planning on taking other members down on our points. Which we were initially, but our family size has increased and we simply do not have the points.

I explained this to her and she said about them renting points like we did the first time we took them down. I told her that would be fine.

Well, now we are all (18) going down on the next trip. And here's the kicker:

"So&so was telling me what they wanted to do and I told them to tell you what they wanted and then let you pick other things because you did such a great job and did things with us I never even would have thought of!"

So, I guess I'm planning a vacation for 4 separate family units. Luckily we have plenty of time. My plan, though, is to tell them right off the bat to only plan on some dinners together because I'm not making my way around the park with that many people.

I also plan on schooling each of them on the MDE app so I'm not on the hook for FP+.

But, I'm going to take this as a compliment, it means I did a good job the first time.

Congrats!!! We did an extended family trip last summer. There was 16 of us. I did all the planning and it was amazing. I booked our dinners and fast passes (everyone was fine with that). Beyond that, they were on their own. Most days we would start together and for the most part do our fast passes but when it came time to heading to the hotel, staying in a park longer, etc - each group did their own thing. Then we would meet up for dinner and evenings we would do whatever. It was the trip of a life time for the family. Enjoy your planning and have a wonderful time!!

I also plan on schooling each of them on the MDE app so I'm not on the hook for FP+.
Very wise idea!! If you can put as much planning as you can in their hands it will take a ton of pressure off of you. It should be that each family can go their own way and do their own thing during the day, but meet for pool time and dinner a few days of the trip. It would be near impossible to plan for that many AND keep everyone happy.

18 people? Wow, I do not envy you. I did a trip for 16 several years ago, it is a LOT of work. And...just so you know...telling them to each go their own way in the park doesn't work, to them YOU are the Tour Leader....
My goal is to give them all itineraries based on what they select and tell them all which direction to go. I'm hoping they can be somewhat self sufficient, lol. I have no intention of trying to navigate the park with people from the age of 2-58.

.....(snip)...... My plan, though, is to tell them right off the bat to only plan on some dinners together because I'm not making my way around the park with that many people.

Wise! Trying to tour with more than 4-6 is recipe for getting very little done. (I speak from experience). Someone always needs a restroom, a drink, a snack, a short rest or wants/needs to skip something. And it very seldom happens at the same time or on the schedule you carefully put together in advance, LOL.

That said, it may be hard to stick to "please plan to tour the park on your own", esp since they are family. Getting together for dinners is a good idea. You might also suggest each family take turns using you as tour guide if that's what they'd prefer to going on their own. Good luck! (And yes, it's a compliment!!!)

Sounds like you did an EXCELLENT job! Sounds like a great idea, meeting up for dinner. If everyone is in the same resort, late afternoon meet up time at the pool would be nice, if anyone wants to hang fine, if not, they could all just meet for dinner, no pressure on anyone to join. Hopefully you all will have a great time. If my family was on a trip like this, I would like to go to the parks with my own family unit, instead of waiting for others, coordinating Fastpass. Perhaps One Half Day of the vaca, you all could coordinate FP, that sounds fun, half day rather than devoting an entire day of your vacation. Other than a half day, sounds pretty "impossible" and restrictive trying to coordinate FP for the entire vaca. ENJOY!:goodvibes

When we had 20 family members coming in 2012, we booked the first full day to be with them at MK and then after than we joined each family for a day at the park of their choice. We ate one meal table together as a group that we made an ADR on our day MK, we did an early breakfast so we could get group photos at MK before the park opened. Thereafter the group would split up as families and join a single family groups after that. None of the other family members booked dining reservations for other dates so they had to take what was available when they decided to check for ADRs. They found that looking the evening before gave them more choices do to cancelations as people had to cancel the day before a reservation. We all had the DDP. Also back then we had runners in the family that did the FPs at each park.

We did have group lunches together from time to time especially if we all happened to be at the resort at the same time. But that many people going to a quick service together really took a lot of time.

That was in 2012. In 2016 we had a smaller group of 10 and we made ADRs at one TS buffet again and did more QS meals. Re FP+ my Dniece decided for her parents and family and we added on our FP+ times to join them for many but not all of the attractions. I was grateful she took that in hand as she had a better idea what her family could handle. Love the MDE for FPs. We did suggest they consider returning to the room for naps or pool time after lunch and that seemed to help the kids and parents adjust to the hectic days. The 2016 trip we gave gift cards to the kids and gift cards to the parents for food or whatever souvenirs they wanted to buy and used our Tables in Wonderland card for the TS meal and even some of the QS meals.

Be flexible and allow everyone down time and private family time. You don't have to go around in a large group like you are all leashed together.

What is it they say, "No good deed goes unpunished." " Hi, I'm Julie McCoy your cruise director " .... maybe you're to young for that one. You did a great job! I like you, am the holder of the DVC points, I share and share and no else ever buys! I topped at a family reunion of 2 countries, 3 states and 13 total.

And it's true, you know the in's and out's of Disney dining, ADR's, special activities., etc. etc. 18, you have your work cut out for you! Good luck... I can see it now, an ADR for 18! By all means report back upon your return!

Personally I love these kinds of big get together, a grand villa, you're going to have great fun all of you. Don't forget to :drinking1

18 people? Wow, I do not envy you. I did a trip for 16 several years ago, it is a LOT of work. And...just so you know...telling them to each go their own way in the park doesn't work, to them YOU are the Tour Leader....
We had 51 in HH last summer and routinely have over 40 now for our family trips.

OP, you're lucky that you're group fits in with your planning style, it's a risk when you plan for others. If the travel styles don't fit or you have entitled people, it can get very difficult. Like you, we're very lucky with a great group plus I plan to not control others vacation just give them an opportunity to stay.

oh no! We are doing a big trip in 2020 with 16!! I was hoping not to be the tour leader!!

We just got back less than two weeks ago. 4 Households, 12 people. We did not think we were a large. I let my son handle most of the ADRs and FPs. Nothing set in stone. It was great and we had lot's of fun. As long as everyone is flexible and does not feel tied down to any set schedule, etc. it can be a huge positive experience.

Good luck, have fun planning!!

We had 51 in HH last summer and routinely have over 40 now for our family trips.

OP, you're lucky that you're group fits in with your planning style, it's a risk when you plan for others. If the travel styles don't fit or you have entitled people, it can get very difficult. Like you, we're very lucky with a great group plus I plan to not control others vacation just give them an opportunity to stay.

51 people and 40 routinely - that is awesome!! All family/friends/same people? Great reunion! Jealous. We try to get more to come, but everyone is always on a different schedule.

51 people and 40 routinely - that is awesome!! All family/friends/same people? Great reunion! Jealous. We try to get more to come, but everyone is always on a different schedule.
For the 51 we had immediately family for myself to the level of first cousin, the same on my wife's side, daughter's inlaws plus my best friend from High School and his group of 8. This is the usual group type including inlaws for both of our adult children.

I do have an advantage over some though. I tend to canvas the group to see what they want to do and when they can come. Now days we tend to go either week 25 to week 27 and mostly HHI at Marriott's Grande Ocean or Gatlinburg at the Bluegreen resort there. Once I make that decision, I let everyone know they're invited but I don't count on anyone because you never know what will happen. But I'm paying for the accommodations using my timeshare options, it'd be different if trying to coordinate payment and commitment in addition. It's my way of giving back and getting us all together, clearly our best trips. We've given up lots of opportunities to do bigger trips like Europe or back to AK to keep these going. The only years we don't do them is when we do a big trip otherwise like the AK cruise tour or our HI trips when we do summer, like this year.

We invited my DH's parents on our next trip with us on our points.

They were stoked. They came up to our house this weekend because DH was welding something for them. While we were talking, my MIL asked if I was planning on taking other members down on our points. Which we were initially, but our family size has increased and we simply do not have the points.

I explained this to her and she said about them renting points like we did the first time we took them down. I told her that would be fine.

Well, now we are all (18) going down on the next trip. And here's the kicker:

"So&so was telling me what they wanted to do and I told them to tell you what they wanted and then let you pick other things because you did such a great job and did things with us I never even would have thought of!"

So, I guess I'm planning a vacation for 4 separate family units. Luckily we have plenty of time. My plan, though, is to tell them right off the bat to only plan on some dinners together because I'm not making my way around the park with that many people.

But, I'm going to take this as a compliment, it means I did a good job the first time.
I would make sure each family books their own FP and dinners and you just tell them what you are thinking of doing. I had booked for a large group before and then when we ghot there they were dissatisfied people because I didn't take a day for the waterparks. They were only there 5 days. I told them they could go and how to do it, but they were upset they felt the schedule revolved around my plans. So sometimes once there they may feel like all information wasn't given to them and if you don't want to change your plans they don't want to go on their own and are unhappy to not do something different. Our second trip I did it this way and everyone was happy.

In 2016 my son wanted a family vactaion in lieu of a graduation party. The only dinner I said every one should attend is the dinner my son requested at Ohana. I told them when and where dining ADRs I made and all they had to do was let me know if they were coming or not. There were only 20 of us for the big dinner, and at least 15 per meal.
I told them if they wanted to get any fast passes that was up to them.

DH and I take our parents in alternating years. They never hesitate to accept and it is always a fun adult only trip....Next year we are hoping my DH's BFF and his family join us. The son will be graduating high school and the daughter will be about 14. I have told them I would be able to get a two bedroom at Kidani for the three bathrooms. They want to save on food so the full kitchen will be nice. The BFF is not a park fan but wants his family to go and is "taking one for the team" so to speak. My DH will be on the look out for him to need time away from the crowds and I will be able to "show" the other family members around. I have told the wife that under no circumstances was I going to plan their vacation. This was a once in a lifetime for them and would be all about what they wanted to do. I will help her in anyway possible but she can expect DH and I not to be commando. I told her I wanted us to be able to gift them the room and would help her plan her FP+ if she wanted. It is important to me that they have a terrific time with plenty of room and a FAMILY VACATION . I told her DH and I would purchase the son's park ticket for his Christmas, Bday and grad gift. So that only leaves her with food and three tickets, which helps. I think they are going to have so much fun. I am looking forward to going with teenagers and think it will be a trip for DH and I to remember too. I have tried not to ask her any more about it so I don't come across as "Disney Freak"...but she is going to have to give me dates soon for 11 month booking......at least I convinced her not to go during Spring Break...LOL

So DH and I are doing a couple of things we have never done before for this trip....going in June....staying in a 2 bedroom ( usually do studios) and taking teenagers with us with adults close to our own age. Wish us luck!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter