I'm Celebrating: Being Awesome - An October 2016 Solo Trip Report - Update 7/24: Hiatus Over! Sorta.

DAY 1
October 20th, 2016 - Thursday
Fun Times on International Drive!

So when I last left you guys, I had just taken ya'll on a tour of my lovely first-night hotel room. At this point I just kinda hung out in the room for an hour or two, I can't remember. What I do remember is lounging in that super comfy bed, and flippin' channels while just relaxing for a bit. I had dinner reservations that evening and had purchased some discounted tickets through work for a couple of Orlando attractions that we'd recently begun selling, and I wanted to check them out. Eventually I got my butt moving and got all cuted up to go out!

20161020_163649-1.jpg

I made my way down to the car, plunked the restaurant address into my GPS, and off I went! It was a pretty easy drive... Not even going to lie, another reason I chose that particular hotel was it's proximity to the restaurant! Oh, where was I headed?

texas-de-brazil1.png

Texas de Brazil! I first learned of the Churrascaria, or Brazilian Steakhouse, concept in dining about a decade ago, and was absolutely fascinated. Given the fact that I was very obviously a Tyrannosaurus Rex in a previous lifetime, it seemed like the ultimate meat feast! And yet not once in the last 10 years have I actually had an opportunity to actually GO to one of these fine establishments of excess! I decided that this trip was the time to change all that!

If you're interested in all the delicious details of my dining experience here, feel free to visit my Dining Review over HERE! Also, here's a teaser pic...

20161020_181204-1.jpg

My vegetarian and vegan followers are probably dry-heaving right now... Sorry, ya'll! (Okay, not really.)

After an absolutely incredible dinner, I hopped back in my rental car, and made my way a couple miles south to the new I-Drive 360 Entertainment Complex that they just built a few years ago, which is a super cute area on i-Drive with restaurants and cute little bars and shops, and three big attractions... two of which I would be visiting on this night! First up?

20161020_201007-1.jpg

The SeaLife Orlando Aquarium!

What to say about this place? It was... cute! Their website made it seem like it was going to be way cooler than it was. In actually, it was pretty small and kinda hokey. BUT! That all being said, I am actually really glad I went! I really love aquariums, so I still enjoyed myself! Plus I picked the right night because it was super dead, and I was able to very leisurely stroll through all the areas without fighting a ton of people.

I also know that no matter my best efforts not allow this to happen, my opinion was probably colored by the fact that only 9 day prior, I had spent a day at the Georgia Aquarium. You know... The largest in the country? Second largest in the world? Yeah, that one. I wasn't consciously comparing them, I swear... but I'm sure that it did effect my my enjoyment of it subconsciously. Oops!

Anyhow... I did manage to take a whole bunch of photos inside, which I'm going to totally spam ya'll with now. Enjoy!

I have no idea why I am looking so suspicious about his lionfish...

20161020_193902-1.jpg

This Green Sea Turtle WAS actually very cool. Unfortunately, he swam by the glass once, then just did this the rest of the time. Jerk.

20161020_194557-1.jpg

Sharks!

20161020_194649-1.jpg

They had a whole section on different river turtles and tortoises...

20161020_194730-1.jpg

Selfie time!

20161020_194827-1.jpg

Weird fishies...

20161020_194918-1.jpg

More selfie time! Because I'm the cutest thing in this aquarium! La-la la la la!

20161020_195034-1.jpg

Many many fishies!

20161020_195505-1.jpg

Seahorse rockin' the camouflage! (Not very well, obviously. You know. Since I found him and all.)

20161020_195546-1.jpg

Mr. Ray!

20161020_195722-1.jpg

Mrs. Ray!

20161020_195733-1.jpg

They had a LOT of rays, and it was kinda cool... But after seeing the 20-foot wide, 3,000-lbs Manta Rays at the Georgia Aquarium... OKAY OKAY, I'LL STOP.

I'mma just selfie it up with this fish and little ray here instead.

20161020_195810-1.jpg

Near the end, there was some sorta petting exhibit where you could touch things, but I wasn't feeling it. (See what I did there?) What I remember most about this part was the guy working the touch tank was WAY too chatty and just was not picking up on my cues that I was trying to move on. I think I told him thanks and have a good night three times and he just kept talking. This is the only pic that turned out decent....

20161020_195927-1.jpg

And of course, like all attractions whose mama's raised them right... the exit was through a gift shop. Don't worry, I didn't buy anything. I saw some cute stuff, though!

For example: This pink shark. I really really wanted this stupid pink shark:

20161020_200333-1.jpg

So would I do the SeaLife Orlando Aquarium again myself? Probably not. Would I recommend it for a solo traveler, or a party of adults traveling without kids? Only if they are aquarium lovers like me. Would I recommend it as a fun little thing for a family with kids to do together? Absolutely, without a doubt.

I had a little time to kill before heading to my next attraction, so I exited the main building and went out to explore the complex a little, taking a few pictures as I went. Like this pretty fountain that I spent WAY too much time trying to take a good selfie in front of but eventually gave up on...

20161020_203057-1.jpg

Just a cute little bar/lounge that I liked the look of and would have popped into for a drink if I wasn't driving (and I'd already had a drink with dinner, so I was cut off)...

20161020_203049.jpg

And a cute little coffee shop that I nearly visited, but decided to stay away from caffeine to increase my odds of sleeping that night...

20161020_203701.jpg

There was also a guy there with this bike and, like, 5-6 Macaws and a Cockatoo! He was talking to people and doing different tricks with the birds, but I saw the signs on his bike and I didn't have any singles on me and felt guilty about it, but not guilty enough to get out my Visa card, so I just took a sneaky pic of the bike...

20161020_203822-1.jpg

So are we wondering yet where my next attraction was? Maybe this selfie will give you a hint. I mean, it's kinda hard to miss...

20161020_204022-1.jpg

No nerds, that's NOT a fancy hat... It's the Orlando Eye! (Also, we're not gonna talk about how long it took me to get that shot just right! )

20161020_204221-1.jpg

When it was time, I headed back into the main structure...

20161020_203917.jpg

...And lined up, with my ticket in-hand!

20161020_204843-1.jpg

Waiting my turn to board!

20161020_210947-1.jpg

I'm in, woot! (They turn the lights off inside once you leave the loading platform.)

20161020_211420.jpg

Here we gooooo!

20161020_211442.jpg

And couple pics taken during my 22-minute "flight!"

20161020_212459.jpg

20161020_212921.jpg

This is the carriage behind mine when we are all the way at the tippity-top...

20161020_212442.jpg

And of course... A skyline selfie:

20161020_212411.jpg

This was taken looking down at the I-Drive 360 Complex (where I was walking around and saw fountain and the Bird Man). See that Walgreens down there? I bought a few bottles of water there before heading to my car... Super convenient!

ce3562d8-b241-425b-b694-a135a9b1c418.jpg

And finally, here's a quick little video I took...

And that was evening! After picking up my waters at the previously-mentioned Walgreens, I headed back to the parking garage and headed back to my hotel. After a quick shower, I snuggled into the bed and watched an episode of "Friends" that I never saw the end of... I was out like a light!

Up Next... Disney Resort Arrival!

Last edited:
Looks like a great start to the trip! It was so much fun to follow along on Facebook (each morning I would have to check in to see what park we were visiting today, lol) but now we get all of the extra details! I used to live right off of International Drive when I did my internship at Epcot. That road is crazy with traffic but lots of fun things to do!

I also know that no matter my best efforts not allow this to happen, my opinion was probably colored by the fact that only 9 day prior, I had spent a day at the Georgia Aquarium.

Well, you can't really be blamed for comparing the two, even subconsciously. The Georgia Aquarium is truly amazing - but I think this one looks like a lot of fun, too :)

If you're interest in all the delicious details of my dining experience here, feel free to visit my Dining Review over HERE! Also, here's a teaser pic...

Yum yum yum!
I've wanted to go to one of these places for a while, but we don't have one around. Maybe one of these days I'll experience the deliciousness :)

No nerds, that's NOT a fancy hat... It's the Orlando Eye! (Also, we're not gonna talk about how long it took me to get that shot just right! )

Such a great picture! I know there are a bazillion of these things now, but I still really like them. We rode the Myrtle Beach one a few years back, and it's so cool to see everything :)

Looking forward to reading about your solo trip. :) I've been wanting to go on a solo trip for a while, but for now I'll live vicariously through yours. :)

I've never explored Orlando outside of the Disney resort, but it's definitely on my list for my next long trip!

So first if cupcake ever needs a home i have the perfect spot on my bed for her to cuddle up in! Seriously prettiest cat i've seen.

My sister and I have talked about staying off site a night or two, theres so much to do in the area, but for now i think we're sticking to just saying on property and living through reports like yours! The Orlando eye looks like so much fun!

p.s I LOVE that shirt! Your so pretty and it complements you wonderfully!

I've been to a Brazilian steak house in my town....and I'm vegetarian :) Before we were married, my husband took me and some co-workers there to eat. Well, I could only have salad, and sides....and alcohol...which I drank A LOT of while they ate their meals. I don't remember much except for the fact that the salad was good, but not as good as the drinks. The next morning was not pretty.

By the way, you look awesome! Congrats on the weight loss!

Look at you!! I can't get over how amazing you look!

My vegetarian and vegan followers are probably dry-heaving right now... Sorry, ya'll! (Okay, not really.)

Moments like this are why I'm not a vegetarian. Sometimes meat just looks so good...

Anyhow... I did manage to take a whole bunch of photos inside, which I'm going to totally spam ya'll with now. Enjoy!

Yes! Sea animal picture spam! I love it!!

So would I do the SeaLife Orlando Aquarium again myself? Probably not. Would I recommend it for a solo traveler, or a party of adults traveling without kids? Only if they are aquarium lovers like me. Would I recommend it as a fun little thing for a family with kids to do together? Absolutely, without a doubt.

Thanks for the honest assessment! It's definitely rough to form an objective opinion when you've been to a sigificantly better aquarium more recently, but I'm glad you did enjoy it!

That may be the funniest "not actually a hat" picture ever. Awesome!
(Although I do believe that it's probably a better hat than attraction and people are not meant to ride in such huge deathtraps ... even though your pictures do look pretty)

you look amazing.. Your hair is adorable too.
seriously..
Amazing!

So glad you enjoyed the texas place! we have a few here and i LOVE THEM!!! so yum.

That's too bad about the aquarium. IF we do drive to Disney in Sept on the way home we plan on stopping at the Georgia and hopefully see Ariana too! all depends!

ohh the eye! Sad you didn't get the car to yourself.. But that is BEAUTIFUL!
Where is the castle??? Hummmmmm????

Looks great so far! Maybe one day I'll make it over to the Orlando Eye, it looks cool at night!

Gotta love the #sorrynotsorry!

You look so great!

I ate at a Canadian equivalent in the city I live in once - I wasn't impressed :( I'm not going to hop over to your dining report to see your thoughts on it!

Have you ever touched a stingray? They're really slimy!

Earlier this year when we were in Orlando, we stayed at the Westgate Palace for a few nights so we could go to Universal (bad idea, that won't happen again), and we could see the Orlando Eye from our hotel room! I thought it was so cool, we really should have went on it! I just stared at it for like half an hour one night, it was all lit up and looking so pretty!

Hey there Miss Cutie! Lookin FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

my opinion was probably colored by the fact that only 9 day prior, I had spent a day at the Georgia Aquarium. You know... The largest in the country? Second largest in the world?

Interesting. Did not know this. Well obviously it'd be hard for that not to color your experience in Orlando

popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:: Ready......

More selfie time! Because I'm the cutest thing in this aquarium! La-la la la la!

20161020_195034-1.jpg

Yes you are! You work it, gurl!

Like this pretty fountain that I spent WAY too much time trying to take a good selfie in front of but eventually gave up on...

20161020_203057-1.jpg

Oooooooh, pretty! Then again as you probably guessed from my TR I am a sucker for all things water and foliage

And what wonderful photos from your Orlando Eye flight.

Oops, neglected to hit that all important "watch" link so I'm just catching up on all you day 1 adventures

20161020_000949-1.jpg

If there's any questions about why the skin on my my feet and legs looks so jacked up with little cuts, there's a very simple explanation: The kitty you saw in the above packing photo is just one of the three furbabies that I belong to. One of the others is a now 6-month-old kitten (who has been with me since she was orphaned at 2 weeks old). Enough said. Meet Cupcake!
First, Casey and you totally have the same princess taste in nail policy but second oh my Ms. Cupcake!!!! I take it she hasn't calmed down too much lately? How did she do with you gone?

I live in a small town on the southern tip of South Carolina, and the drive is a really easy 5-6 hour journey from here...

route_1.png
I know I've said this before but me 5 hours from Disney would not be good for anyone, except of course Disney's bottom line.

Aaaaand I was loving it! I stopped for gas, potty, and coffee just before getting on I-4, and at that point I switched the book off right around the halfway point and flipped over to the radio playing low.

Why? Because I-4 stresses me the EFF out. People be trying to KILL me on that road, ya'll!
If 1-4 stresses you out than do not come to DC. You wouldn't even wanna see what we have to deal with quite literally 24/7. But what happens on the beltway stays on the beltway :-)

And then I made my way up to the 6th floor to my room... which I instantly loved. Enough typing... Time for pictures!
Awesome room! Looks like a deluxe to me.

Eventually I got my butt moving and got all cuted up to go out!

20161020_163649-1.jpg
Cuted up???? That is an understatement. You look gorgeous!!! So proud of you.

The SeaLife Orlando Aquarium!

What to say about this place? It was... cute! Their website made it seem like it was going to be way cooler than it was. In actually, it was pretty small and kinda hokey. BUT! That all being said, I am actually really glad I went! I really love aquariums, so I still enjoyed myself! Plus I picked the right night because it was super dead, and I was able to very leisurely stroll through all the areas without fighting a ton of people.
Think I'll skip small and hokey, but good you got to check it out for your peeps.

So are we wondering yet where my next attraction was? Maybe this selfie will give you a hint. I mean, it's kinda hard to miss...

20161020_204022-1.jpg
Wow, serious selfie skills there Billie!

This is the carriage behind mine when we are all the way at the tippity-top...

20161020_212442.jpg
Can I just say looking at this picture completely terrifies me!!!!! I have a major fear of heights and ferris wheels are just about enemy number one on list. We have a similar Orlando eye in DC that despite Casey riding a few times, I've never been on. Even missed the real London eye and waited at the bottom for Jason. Yet I can ride Everest. Makes no sense.

And that was evening! After picking up my waters at the previously-mentioned Walgreens, I headed back to the parking garage and headed back to my hotel. After a quick shower, I snuggled into the bed and watched an episode of "Friends" that I never saw the end of... I was out like a light!
Fingers crossed out like a light continues for the rest of the trip. I know how you usually struggle with sleep on vacay

Glad to see you started your new TR! Great start, your hotel does look like a nice one and score on a great rate!

Finally made it over here, too! Page 4...sigh. I must get better at staying on top of these things!! :) Looks like a great first night out in Orlando! You're so smart doing "research" while you're having fun!! Can't wait to read more!

I can't wait to read the rest of your TR! Going to hop on over and read and follow your DR now :goodvibes

Super fun attractions you got to. I love aquariums wherever they are and could (and do) spend hours in them when I get to one. The eye looks fabulous! You really treated yourself to some fine entertainment there! Dinner looked awesome too! YUM! What a relaxing and nice start to your vacation!

Oh wow Billie you're looking fabulous - well done you :goodvibes

What a lovely first evening you had although the eye capsules look rather small :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!