If you've been to POR & WL please come in!

We love the WL because it is one the only hotels on property where all rooms connect to the main building. No walking outside to the food courts, etc. It is also nice to be able to use the lobby to relax or run around in during bad weather. The lobby is just breathtaking. I could sit in it for hours. Our DD loved exploring the lobby, running on the waterfall bridge, going up the elevator and looking down at the lobby. It's our favorite resort!

Just returned tonight from a split stay at POR and then WL! I'm not a fan of split stays but rooms were limited so we settled for this arrangement. For us, the upgrade to WL was worth the extra money because of the tiny tiny beds at POR and the bus system (we also have young kids, jogger, etc.), and we also missed having a balcony for nights after putting the kids to bed. WL greatly improved on those 3 factors giving us our balcony, queen beds, and the boat to MK so we could roll our jogger right on. We did do the boat to MK and then monorail over to Epcot :scared1: ~ long route, I know, but we weren't in any hurry and our kids needed a rest, so the travel time was just right for us, and not having to unload and fold up the stroller was a great break for us.

Having said all that, we truly enjoyed POR, especially the food court selection there. It's a beautiful resort and I understand your hesitations to try a new place. However, I don't think you'll regret staying somewhere with easier transportation to the parks. When you have young children and strollers, it's a lot easier, and thus more relaxing, to stay where you have boat, monorail, or walking paths to resorts.

My family vacationed over Christmas at WL in 2004 & at POR in 2005, both times for 10 nights, and POR between Christmas - New Years in 2006, and POR mid December in 2007.

I'm glad we stayed at WL over Christmas once, but it wouldn't be my first choice again. This isn't what you wanted to hear, but I would choose POR over WL again for a December vacation for a few reasons:

1. Price
Depending on what type of tickets you choose POR room + tickets for the family could cost the same as WL room only. Rooms and amenities are slightly nicer at WL but not not so much nicer that I must stay there :)

2. Food Court
The food court at POR is much better than Roaring Forks IMHO for breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc. Dinner most likely would be at another resort or a park (I couldn't eat at AP or WCC every night!). If we want 'room service' at POR one of us goes and brings back a tray :)

3. Crowds
POR handles the crowds better and doesn't feel as crowded. MHO!
The 10 nights & days we stayed at WL there was never an empty seat in the lobby, it was packed with visitors! In contrast, I spent lots of time in the POR lounge enjoying the decorations, fireplace and entertainment.

4. Atmosphere
It just feels relaxing! And Christmas decorations are beautiful at POR, more subtle than WL, but there are many all around the main building.

5. Room view is not as important.
I'd be happy with just about any room view at POR but only want a main building courtyard view at WL :)

Some downsides to POR:
No balcony. (not important to me anymore)
Only 1 hot tub!
The deocrations are beautiful, but if your room isn't located near the lobby you may have to make a point to walk thru and enjoy them. I enjoy a leisurely walk to/from my room - but would feel different if I had small children and strollers :)
It can be a hike to the main bld from some rooms.
Santa visits on Christmas eve, but characters don't. WL had Santa and characters :santa:

Boats & Buses:
WL has a boat to MK and POR has a boat to DD. Everywhere else is buses from both. I can't really complain about the bus service, in general, for either resort in the times I've been at them.

Good luck whatever you decide!

WL is amazing any time of year....but at Christmas the place is special.

Well worth the extra money....Splurge....you won't be dissapointed.
Happy Planning
Kerri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter