If you were not a soccer (association football) fan before, are you now based on the USWNT or USMNT?

I agree that player (Allie Long maybe) should not have dropped the flag. BUT, you're disparaging the entire team based on the act of one player. "Well, she represents the team." Yes, she does. But I feel if you're going to criticize an entire team for the bad action of one player, you should also at least point out the good action of another player. Once Long dropped the flag, another player (I can't tell who) rushes in to grab it off the ground.

And yes, people (athlete and non) "disrespect" the flag ALL. THE. TIME.

If it was just this incident, then yes that would be unfair to not like the entire team. But there has been more than this I don't care for with different players. It is my personal opinion. You may disagree and I have no issue with that. We can have a difference of opinion, that is what makes our country so great!!

And I don't like when anyone is disrespectful to the flag.

I read contradictions in your posts. You aren't holding the holding the team responsible for the action(s) of one. But it affects how you view the team as a whole? That makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense to those who actually understand what it means to be part of a team.
Bad behavior reflects poorly on the team, as a team member one should keep that in mind.

I read contradictions in your posts. You aren't holding the holding the team responsible for the action(s) of one. But it affects how you view the team as a whole? That makes no sense.

If it was just this action, then I would be holding the entire team responsible. There have been more than this I don't care for and it was with different players.

ETA, when you play as a team every person on that team is representing one another. If your teammates repeatedly do things it becomes a representation of that team whether you support it or not. Just like New England Patriots. After Billecheck was caught reading lips and Tom Brady's deflategate, the team was called cheaters. Were all the players cheating? My guess, no. But they were called that because of actions from a few.

Last edited:
It makes perfect sense to those who actually understand what it means to be part of a team.
Bad behavior reflects poorly on the team, as a team member one should keep that in mind.

Oh please. :sad2: Was this particular incident bad behavior or simply a mistake made in the excitement of the moment? And don't forget, another team mate immediately stepped in and corrected the mistake. So there you go, Team work!

Oh please. :sad2: Was this particular incident bad behavior or simply a mistake made in the excitement of the moment? And don't forget, another team mate immediately stepped in and corrected the mistake. So there you go, Team work!

Again, I am not going by just this incident. I have edited my post #87. Maybe that will clarify what I meant by team representation. If it doesn't then I think we are at an impasse.

If you don't like that she dropped the flag, how do you feel about people who wear flags on clothing? What about the US flags people put on their cars as they drive around? Those flags are torn and filthy. To me that's more disrespectful than accidently dropping a flag when someone is caught up in the moment.

I think my statement is bigger than this one incident.
When you are part of a team, and you are wearing that jersey you are representing THE TEAM. Your behavior, good or bad reflects on THE TEAM.
Same as your behavior while working reflects your employer, or your behavior while on a school outing reflects on your school.
If you don't get that then I don't know what to tell you.

When you are part of a team, and you are wearing that jersey you are representing THE TEAM. Your behavior, good or bad reflects on THE TEAM.
Same as your behavior while working reflects your employer, or your behavior while on a school outing reflects on your school.
Oh, I get what you're saying. I'm not an idiot. I'm still waiting to hear what any player did to disgrace their entire team.

If it was just this action, then I would be holding the entire team responsible. There have been more than this I don't care for and it was with different players.

ETA, when you play as a team every person on that team is representing one another. If your teammates repeatedly do things it becomes a representation of that team whether you support it or not. Just like New England Patriots. After Billecheck was caught reading lips and Tom Brady's deflategate, the team was called cheaters. Were all the players cheating? My guess, no. But they were called that because of actions from a few.

What did a player/players do repeatedly to badly represent their team?

Thank you. You said it better than I did.

If you don't like that she dropped the flag, how do you feel about people who wear flags on clothing? What about the US flags people put on their cars as they drive around? Those flags are torn and filthy. To me that's more disrespectful than accidently dropping a flag when someone is caught up in the moment.

Read my post #78

We have a difference of opinion this and that's ok. No one is right or wrong.

OK, come on. No, I do not have a problem with that. It is usually done by the military who will die for that flag. If you watch the Superbowl you know that is going to happen. I have never heard of anyone taking offense to that. (ETA, I don't have issue with any of the social norms we are comfortable with, but I have issue with dropping and dancing on the flag.)

We are going to agree to disagree on this. I am not changing my mind, and you aren't changing yours. That's fine. No hard feelings.

Just wondering why we get to pick and choose which flag code violations are actually acceptable and which are not. They are all defined as being disrespectful to the flag.

Just wondering why we get to pick and choose which flag code violations are actually acceptable and which are not. They are all defined as being disrespectful to the flag.

Social norms I am ok with. IMHO, that isn't picking and choosing.

Is dropping and dancing on the flag considered a social norm? Last I checked it wasn't.

What did a player/players do repeatedly to badly represent their team?

It is not anything you haven't heard about before. If I go down the list, it is just going to prolong this debate which is going around in circles. We don't see eye to eye on this. I am calling a truce.

Have you become a fan of the sport due to the Fifa Women's World Cup or the Concacaf Gold Cup this summer.? If so, do you plan to watch more regularly (like MLS or EPL) or just the occasional game when the USMNT or USWNT play? Thanks for any responses and go USA in both finals today.⚽🇺🇸

While I am glad the US won, I also feel the behavior of some is off putting, and do not see those few as role models.

To answer the original question: No, I won't become a soccer fan. I enjoyed watching the World Cup games but I'm a total fair weather and bandwagon fan when it comes to soccer (and basketball and hockey).

But the line (for me) gets drawn at this type of action. You CANNOT drop and step not the flag for the country you are playing for. To me, it is extremely disrespectful. I can't support this.

I tried to find a video of it before I saw the one you linked and all of the websites that had it as a story were of the same ilk and I didn't want to give a click to any of them. I wonder how many of those people who are all up in arms about this violated the flag code on Independence Day with their flag festooned clothing?

In any case, I simply don't get the fetishizing of the American flag :confused3. For Pete's Sake, she didn't wipe her butt with it. She got excited and dropped it and someone picked it up. So not a big deal.

Have you become a fan of the sport due to the Fifa Women's World Cup or the Concacaf Gold Cup this summer.? If so, do you plan to watch more regularly (like MLS or EPL) or just the occasional game when the USMNT or USWNT play? Thanks for any responses and go USA in both finals today.⚽🇺🇸
Have always been a fan from the first World cup. Also love what they are fighting/stand for. a 440 million dollar prize for men vs a 30 million dollar prize for women is ridiculous.

To answer the original question: No, I won't become a soccer fan. I enjoyed watching the World Cup games but I'm a total fair weather and bandwagon fan when it comes to soccer (and basketball and hockey).

I tried to find a video of it before I saw the one you linked and all of the websites that had it as a story were of the same ilk and I didn't want to give a click to any of them. I wonder how many of those people who are all up in arms about this violated the flag code on Independence Day with their flag festooned clothing?

In any case, I simply don't get the fetishizing of the American flag :confused3. For Pete's Sake, she didn't wipe her butt with it. She got excited and dropped it and someone picked it up. So not a big deal.

I would have a problem with someone wearing the actual flag as clothing, or cutting the flag up and making clothes, or what have you with it.
I don't have an issue with using the American flag image or graphic in that way though.
I can't answer for everyone only myself.
I was raised by a Vietnam Veteran who taught me to respect our flag and what it stood for and that meant there were certain things you should never do to the (actual flag). Letting it hit the ground was one of those things, so I do cringe when I see it so carelessly handled and dropped. To some it is more than just a piece of fabric.
If to some that means I'm "fetishizing" it, so be it. I have no problem with that kind of insult, it pales in comparison to what I would say about those who don't respect it.

Nope. Bored to tears whenever soccer is on TV. Could care less about what the players make or their views on non-soccer issues. We have the awesome Atlanta United here, and I'd love to go to a game, just to experience the MB Stadium and atmosphere.

I remember in elementary school learning about the respecting the American Flag. I don’t see that as a fetish. I see her actions as more than an accidental dropping and picking up. YMMV

I don’t own any American Flag festooned clothing, so I can’t answer to that.

You have your opinion, and I have mine. Let’s leave it at that. No one is changing their thoughts on this matter. Agree to disagree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts