If you were not a soccer (association football) fan before, are you now based on the USWNT or USMNT?

No. I may watch major tournaments like the Olympics and World Cup, but that's it. Similar to how I follow many sports though- same for baseball, basketball, hockey, tennis, golf. I watch the playoffs/championships/major tournaments, but that's it. I'm not really much of a sports fan I guess.

My DD played lacrosse, which I find more interesting to watch.

I appreciate all the responses so far. For those not a fan of the sport, is it more of just not an interest, lack of exposure on TV or not going in person? Also many videos on youtube explain the basic rules effectively. I also completely understand if sports don't interest a person too. If anyone did want to follow soccer in the future, mlssoccer is a great website as is ussoccer . MLS actually has games nationally televised today too. Orlando is home to a MLS team for those who did not know. Anyway, I'm not trying to force soccer onto anyone. I just wanted to suggest some ideas and to see if the sport was growing among the Dis community. :confused3

I appreciate all the responses so far. For those not a fan of the sport, is it more of just not an interest, lack of exposure on TV or not going in person? Also many videos on youtube explain the basic rules effectively. I also completely understand if sports don't interest a person too. If anyone did want to follow soccer in the future, mlssoccer is a great website as is ussoccer . MLS actually has games nationally televised today too. Orlando is home to a MLS team for those who did not know. Anyway, I'm not trying to force soccer onto anyone. I just wanted to suggest some ideas and to see if the sport was growing among the Dis community. :confused3
Just zero interest.

The only sports I care to watch are those my kids are playing in. Otherwise, I really have no interest. That goes for the Super Bowl or Wimbledon or whatever. I’ll hang out at the bar or go to a watch party, but I’m there to socialize. I don’t care about the outcome. My dad loves watching golf on TV. I just don’t see how anyone can find that interesting.

We happened to be at a bar during the US vs England game. Seemed like a competitive game, but like I said, I have no interest in the players or the outcome.

Zero interest. I much prefer baseball and football.

I had zero interest in women's soccer before this world cup and with the behavior of some of the women's players during this tournament, I actually hoped they would lose. I don't like arrogant and disrespectful behavior in any athlete - male/female/amateur/pro, etc.

I watched some of the men's World Cup from a year or two ago and was surprised that I was quite entertained - not enough to watch it on a regular basis, but I will watch another game or two next time. I work at a university with A LOT of international students so I had no choice to not be somewhat involved in the men's tournament.

I used to hate soccer. Then when my kids started playing, I learned the rules and strategy.

I understood what offside was, I just never understood why the offside rule existed. I mean, to me, there seems to be little advantage to being offside, but what the heck, you want to be there, go for it.

Not a fan of American Football. The running game should be banned, LOL. My son and his friends refused to play any of the Madden NFL games against me because they knew every offensive play was going to be a Hail Mary pass, that they couldn't effectively defend against it, and every defensive play was going to be a blitz. and that I would score at least 100 points.

I became a soccer watcher due to my kids playing. We watch the World Cup and Olympics and maybe I'd spend on a pro game if they asked. But I doubt that would make me a regular watcher. My days of watching any sports regularly are long over.

I understood what offside was, I just never understood why the offside rule existed. I mean, to me, there seems to be little advantage to being offside, but what the heck, you want to be there, go for it.
The rule exists to prevent "cherry picking"... parking an offensive player deep in the attacking portion of the field. And I'm sure if you look at rules in any sport, you could say "why"... in softball, there's something about the pitcher simulating taking the sign and when her hands can come together before the pitch. Why is a "balk" a thing in baseball? Why can't an offensive player be running toward the line of scrimmage in football before the snap? Why isn't a half court shot in basketball four points? Because that's the way the rule makers want it.

My point wasn't just the offside rule. It's how quick a scoring opportunity can happen. The rarity of scores makes it even more special.

Not a fan of American Football. The running game should be banned, LOL. My son and his friends refused to play any of the Madden NFL games against me because they knew every offensive play was going to be a Hail Mary pass, that they couldn't effectively defend against it, and every defensive play was going to be a blitz. and that I would score at least 100 points.
To me, that means your son and friends can't be very good at Madden.

I don't hate soccer; I just have very little interest in the sport. I'm glad the US women won, but them winning in 2015 didn't make me want to follow and neither will this victory. I saw parts of several previous games, but didn't realize today's game started at 11am Eastern. I was expecting another mid-afternoon game.

Older DD played soccer in high school. I went to a few games each year. I don't recall if my HS had girls soccer.

I support our national soccer teams, but no, I'm not a fan. Not because of anything the players do, I just don't love soccer.

If I discriminate in sports at all, it's on a species basis. No offense to our human athletes, but horses are way more cool to watch.

I haven't really paid attention to it since my ds stopped playing. I'm still a fan but it just doesn't get turned on in my house as much as it used too.

As someone once told me in regards to so many young kids participating in soccer is so they won't have to watch it.

The only sport I will stop everything and watch is Gymnastics. I wasn't a soccer fan last week, and the women winning the world cup didn't make me one this week. I have no clue what happened, so I can't comment on behavior. All I can say is not a soccer fan. No offense to the sport, just not my cup of tea.

Let's see... Quarterfinal was the most watched quarterfinal in the US. Source
Semi-Final was most watched on English-language TV since last year's WC Final Source

I'm guessing we won't find out about the final until later tonight or tomorrow. But considering the Quarter and Semi Finals were in the middle of the work day, I don't think they're as unpopular as you think (or hope).

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone once told me in regards to so many young kids participating in soccer is so they won't have to watch it.
That really makes no sense. So many young kids participate because it's one of the first sports kids CAN participate in. Around here, you can start at 4yo.

Even without that, no one makes anyone watch soccer. So this "someone" thinks if the kids weren't playing soccer, they'd be watching it? Strange logic.

The rule exists to prevent "cherry picking"... parking an offensive player deep in the attacking portion of the field. And I'm sure if you look at rules in any sport, you could say "why"... in softball, there's something about the pitcher simulating taking the sign and when her hands can come together before the pitch. Why is a "balk" a thing in baseball? Why can't an offensive player be running toward the line of scrimmage in football before the snap? Why isn't a half court shot in basketball four points? Because that's the way the rule makers want it.

My point wasn't just the offside rule. It's how quick a scoring opportunity can happen. The rarity of scores makes it even more special.

To me, that means your son and friends can't be very good at Madden.
The whole cherry picking thing makes sense. However, what never really made sense to me was that being offsides is dependent on where the 2nd closest defender to the goal is. Decades ago I remember reading about how defenders learned how to maximize the chances of the passing team being called offsides by not retreating to defend the goal, aka the "offsides trap".

At least in ice hockey there is a specific line where teams have to remain onside before the puck is passed into the forward zone. A team can't refuse to defend and then get a call if the puck is passed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter