If you were not a soccer (association football) fan before, are you now based on the USWNT or USMNT?

That really makes no sense.
It is really a nonsense statement. Hopefully, it was said in jest by someone who has no appreciation for the sport.

Young children are choosing to play a sport they don't want to watch so they don't have to watch it? What? "Hey, Mommy and Daddy. I don't want to watch soccer. Please sign me up in the PeeWee league to play it."

The numbers don’t agree with you, likely because the majority of the nation that also doesn’t agree with you were suddenly more interested in the team, the games, and the sport and found the women who spoke their minds while playing at a world-class level to be powerful and inspiring. I know all the bars were packed full in my area!

My daughter found a bar in Rome packed with Americans to watch the game today.

The whole cherry picking thing makes sense. However, what never really made sense to me was that being offsides is dependent on where the 2nd closest defender to the goal is. Decades ago I remember reading about how defenders learned how to maximize the chances of the passing team being called offsides by not retreating to defend the goal, aka the "offsides trap".

At least in ice hockey there is a specific line where teams have to remain onside before the puck is passed into the forward zone. A team can't refuse to defend and then get a call if the puck is passed.
Don't forget, the GK is the last defender (99% of the time). And, there IS a line across the field that you need to pass before even being considered offside... The midfield stripe.

So, do you pick some arbitrary distance and say "ok, here"?

And I'd say a hockey rink is slightly smaller than a football pitch.

Decades ago I remember reading about how defenders learned how to maximize the chances of the passing team being called offsides by not retreating to defend the goal, aka the "offsides trap".
BTW, that's not always easy to pull off... Your backline all need to be in sync. And it can be dangerous... If the other team's striker is fast, kick the ball into space and let him (or her) run onto it.

Don't forget, the GK is the last defender (99% of the time). And, there IS a line across the field that you need to pass before even being considered offside... The midfield stripe.

So, do you pick some arbitrary distance and say "ok, here"?

And I'd say a hockey rink is slightly smaller than a football pitch.
Well yeah. I get that the goalie is almost always the last player unless there's something really odd going on. But it's a rule that can be gamed by players who simply refuse to defend properly in an attempt to get the ball back by technicality.

Cherry picking is a staple of pickup basketball. I even remember when Sacramento Kings lead owner Vivek Ranadive suggested that his team employe cherry picking since it seemed to work when he coached his daughter's team.

Nope.

And sadly, I find some of the US women's behavior and remarks off putting. :scared: (and that hurts to say as a woman)
Nope. I've never watched soccer (men's or women's) and don't plan on starting now, especially with the women's poor sportsmanship.
No. I wish I did, but I find it pretty boring. Low scoring games are just not my thing, same goes for watching Hockey. I respect the game and the athletes that compete, but just isn't for me.

I find the show off antics of the certain female soccer player to be a poor sign of integrity and most of all a sign of being a spoiled "all about me" brat.

I'm very curious as to whether you feel the same about NFL football as well?

Well yeah. I get that the goalie is almost always the last player unless there's something really odd going on. But it's a rule that can be gamed by players who simply refuse to defend properly in an attempt to get the ball back by technicality.

Cherry picking is a staple of pickup basketball. I even remember when Sacramento Kings lead owner Vivek Ranadive suggested that his team employe cherry picking since it seemed to work when he coached his daughter's team.
I don't get your insistence on saying "players who refuse to defend properly". An offside trap is a strategy (and also a gamble). I'd say that's "proper". Anything that falls within the rules is "proper". And every sport has bizarre (to non-fans) rules.

I'm a soccer fan every World Cup or Olympics. Otherwise, I don't pay much attention, sorry to say. I think I could become an EPL fan if I gave it a chance--maybe someday.

I don't get your insistence on saying "players who refuse to defend properly". An offside trap is a strategy (and also a gamble). I'd say that's "proper". Anything that falls within the rules is "proper". And every sport has bizarre (to non-fans) rules.
I still say that an offsides trap is an attempt to get the ball back on a technicality. And the result is a lot of serious fans who wish there could be something done to prevent teams from trying to set such traps. Trying to confuse an opponent into violating a rule seems to be just so odd.

I appreciate all the responses so far. For those not a fan of the sport, is it more of just not an interest, lack of exposure on TV or not going in person? Also many videos on youtube explain the basic rules effectively. I also completely understand if sports don't interest a person too. If anyone did want to follow soccer in the future, mlssoccer is a great website as is ussoccer . MLS actually has games nationally televised today too. Orlando is home to a MLS team for those who did not know. Anyway, I'm not trying to force soccer onto anyone. I just wanted to suggest some ideas and to see if the sport was growing among the Dis community. :confused3

For me, I didn't grow up playing or following the sport. In my town in the time I was growing up, you played baseball, basketball and/or (American) football. It's like hockey to me--never played it, never followed it, it gets my attention every 4 years during the Olympics.

I respect the heck out of what they do, but not playing it and not following it, it's harder for me to pick up a new sport to follow. Heck, I've even quit following some (MLB and NBA) that I did follow growing up.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't discriminate. There are several athletes in various sports I don't care for. Most of them are men.

No, I'm not much into watching sports. I'll make an exception for hockey and baseball but that's only when I go to a game.

I'm happy the women's team won for numerous reasons but I don't have any interest in watching soccer. I don't have any interest in watching football or basketball either.

I walked away from watching the NFL, so yes. Players like Terrell Owens disgusted me with his antics and made a mockery of the sport. I am fine with a celebration after a score but that idiot took it to a whole new level. US Soccer did the right thing after the canned Hope Solo for her remarks in 2016, now they need to reel it in again. This has nothing to do with gender, its about integrity.

Nope.

And sadly, I find some of the US women's behavior and remarks off putting. :scared: (and that hurts to say as a woman)

I used to LOVE watching the US women’s team. And then they fired Hope Solo. And I couldn’t stand how political the US women’s team became. Haven’t watched a game since. Won’t watch another one.

We try to watch the men’s national team, but they are so terrible that it is painful to watch.

Huge soccer family. We just watch English soccer and Atlanta United :)

🇺🇸USMNT just lost to Mexico🇲🇽 😞. Oh well, just another day losing in a Gold Cup final to Mexico. Congrats to Mexico on a deserving victory. Onto the premiere of the Concacaf Nations League starting in September/October. This is the next tournament the USMNT can/should win. Well at least EPL starts in August. 🤨

They didn't turn "a lot of people off." They may have turned some casual fans off who don't understand the culture of soccer. Bye Felicia!
I don't get the complaint. They had record ratings, and Fox Sports is
pretty happy about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter