If you signed a waiver for your almost 11 for Edge did you....

chrisrunty

DIS Veteran
Our son will be almost 11 when we sail in 2 weeks, his friend who is going with us on the cruise is 11. I've not experienced trying to sign a waiver for him to attend Edge (if there is space). He's platinum and very use to the ships. (he's been going since he was a baby) Would this possible waiver be at the kids club desk at the port or would we visit Edge when we board to see about a possible waiver? Is one better option than the other?

Thank you!!!

You will need to go with your son to Edge after you board and ask whether it is possible for him to be registered there. The decision is at the discretion of the Edge castmembers, who may not be at the desk at the port. If the castmember says yes, you will sign the waiver and your son's Key to the World Card will get access to Edge.

You will need to go with your son to Edge after you board and ask whether it is possible for him to be registered there. The decision is at the discretion of the Edge castmembers, who may not be at the desk at the port. If the castmember says yes, you will sign the waiver and your son's Key to the World Card will get access to Edge.
Thank you for the comment!

Concur with PP. We did it for DD x 2 in Edge (they turned 11 two weeks after cruise ended) and DS in the Vibe when he turned 14 on the last day of cruise. Both times, it was no problem; I went to the club, explained the situation and was immediately given permission for the kids.

We just had almost the exact situation on our last cruise. My daughter was 2 months shy of her 11 th birthday and we were cruising with another family whose son was already 11. We are gold and my daughter knows the ship well. Also, she really hated the lab/club and didn’t even want to go if she could sign herself out.

She had a blast and did very well. There was one minor bullying incident, but our friend’s son told us the boys were upset that she was beating them at a video game. They said some unkind things. No crew member heard it so there was no adult intervention. But, it wasn’t bad enough that she wouldn’t go back. We even let her come back on her own later than we ever had in the cruises before. Several times, there were activities she wanted to participate in. She was always back in the room at the time we had prearranged for her. It is key that your child goes to the icebreaker on the first night.

We just had almost the exact situation on our last cruise. My daughter was 2 months shy of her 11 th birthday and we were cruising with another family whose son was already 11. We are gold and my daughter knows the ship well. Also, she really hated the lab/club and didn’t even want to go if she could sign herself out.

She had a blast and did very well. There was one minor bullying incident, but our friend’s son told us the boys were upset that she was beating them at a video game. They said some unkind things. No crew member heard it so there was no adult intervention. But, it wasn’t bad enough that she wouldn’t go back. We even let her come back on her own later than we ever had in the cruises before. Several times, there were activities she wanted to participate in. She was always back in the room at the time we had prearranged for her. It is key that your child goes to the icebreaker on the first night.

My daughter would beat the boys at Mario Cart all the time and a some would say things. Seriously, parents of boys listen up. You might not think that YOUR kids would ever say anything but trust me, there are a big chunk of boys that do. Need to teach them that there is no shame in loosing to a girl. At the very least not to bully them when they do.

My oldest had only turned 10 3 months before our cruise in October and really wanted to try Edge so we went up and spoke to the CM, they let us sign a waiver and she go a sticker for her card. She spent a good chunk of her club time in the Edge but still went back to the club/lab frequently. We are sailing again this weekend but she's still 10 (turns 11 this summer) and I've already explained our cruise is sold out so she might not be able to go to Edge as there would possibly be the max allowed in the 11-14 age group so we'll see what happens. If not, when we cruise in August she will 'legit be 11' :rotfl2:

the boys were upset that she was beating them at a video game. They said some unkind things.

Seriously, parents of boys listen up. You might not think that YOUR kids would ever say anything but trust me, there are a big chunk of boys that do. Need to teach them that there is no shame in loosing to a girl. At the very least not to bully them when they do.

My son was always the one being beaten (not on a cruise; he was never able to even get a turn on Disney), and I can therefore assure you that words are said by boys TO boys, too.

Maybe different words, but still words.

He’s even been asked if he wanted to fight (not on a cruise) over video games.

Might be good to know that it’s not a boys vs girls thing, but a “people get unhealthily attached to such things” thing.

My son was always the one being beaten (not on a cruise; he was never able to even get a turn on Disney), and I can therefore assure you that words are said by boys TO boys, too.

Maybe different words, but still words.

He’s even been asked if he wanted to fight (not on a cruise) over video games.

Might be good to know that it’s not a boys vs girls thing, but a “people get unhealthily attached to such things” thing.

A girl asked him to fight? Or are we once again talking about another boy? Excusing bullying behavior is not OK, even if it is to another boy. My statement still stands. Teach your boys to be good losers and be respectful of others. Even though bullying goes both ways, the majority of the perpetrators are male. I know you feel horrible when you son is bullied, imagine if it was your 12 yo daughter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter