If you had to plan a DCL family reunion....

ofcabbagesandkings

DIS Veteran
For a bunch of extended relatives, which cruise would you pick? Budget is very much a concern, so it's hard to justify DCL, but on the other hand some of my relatives prefer the family-friendly qualities of DCL especially in regards to the entertainment, availability of a nursery, etc. It needs to leave from Port Canaveral so that the largest number of people could drive, and it shouldn't be more than 5 or 6 nights. No idea what kinds of discounts are available to large groups, we would probably book around 10 staterooms. No seniors or other persons with mobility issues in our group but some babies. Time of year would be Fall or Spring (would pull kids from school). Which DCL cruise would you choose? Or would you go with another line altogether?

We've only done 7night cruises, so can't comment on shorter ones. I wouldn't cruise in the Fall because it's hurricane season and the start of the school year. We've taken our dd out of school for cruising, I personally wouldn't want her to miss the beginning of the school year. The Wonder and Magic sail out of other ports during part of the year (not sure exactly when either is in PC)and the Fantasy usually only does 7 nights. You may be limited on your choices. Are you looking at Fall and Spring 2020 or 2021? Spring 2021 is out but not Fall 2021. If you choose to go in the Fall, then I'd pick the CC double dip that the PP mentioned. If you have a lot of people who aren't beach people, then you may not want to do a double dip. I guess if someone isn't s beach person, they could stay on the ship.

Last edited:
I would go with spring. I would not want to sail in the fall Hurricane season. For springtime I definitely think you want to go later in the season to get warmer ocean on Castaway Cay as it stays pretty cold through march and just starts to warm up in April.

I would also suggest a 3 or 4 night on the dream. They are a lot less money than a 5 or 6 night, and there aren't too many 5/6 night cruises out of port Canaveral so you have less control to find the best prices.

Simplest answer is if budget is a concern to do a 4 night on Dream. If budget is very much a concern, then a 3 night on Dream. Agree with previous posters about spring versus fall to avoid hurricane season. (And that you are limited for Port Canaveral to primarily 3/4/7 night cruises. There are occasionally 5/6 night cruises, but will probably drive you out of your price range due to their scarcity driving prices up.

I've never heard anyone mention a group discount. (Not saying one doesn't exist, just that I don't recall one being discussed and I would assume that if they did exist that the FE groups would have taken their crusing to the 'next level' and coordinated for a discount.)

A quick look shows me that there are a handful of Carnival or NCL 5 night cruises from Port Canaveral. If you're going shorter then a DCL 3-4 nighter is doable. Otherwise you've got Harmony of the Seas on a 7 nighter. That will be cheaper than a 7 night DCL cruise for sure, but cheaper than a 3-4 nighter? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a good ship though, and can certainly handle large groups.

For 10 staterooms, I'd speak to a TA to see what they can get you.

Agree with above poster about choosing a Dream 3 or 4 night if budget is a concern. For family members that have greater budgets, they could always add in a few days at WDW together. 5-6 night cruises tend to be on the Classic ships from Miami.
Also another vote in favor of Spring due to Hurricane season. There are some great deals if you go prior to or after the typical Spring Break season (mid-March through Easter).
And with wanting a larger block of rooms and coordinating multiple families, it may be helpful to use a TA.

For a bunch of extended relatives, which cruise would you pick? Budget is very much a concern, so it's hard to justify DCL, but on the other hand some of my relatives prefer the family-friendly qualities of DCL especially in regards to the entertainment, availability of a nursery, etc. It needs to leave from Port Canaveral so that the largest number of people could drive, and it shouldn't be more than 5 or 6 nights. No idea what kinds of discounts are available to large groups, we would probably book around 10 staterooms. No seniors or other persons with mobility issues in our group but some babies. Time of year would be Fall or Spring (would pull kids from school). Which DCL cruise would you choose? Or would you go with another line altogether?
I would absolutely not book this cruise for high hurricane season (September/October). A potential disruption to that many people's plans just wouldn't be worth it.

I know you said fall or spring, but you won't find the best deals that way. I recommend sailing sometime from mid-January through February. This is a relatively cheap time to cruise on DCL, and it's also the dry season in that part of the world. You'll find some surprisingly reasonably-priced cruises, and because all four ships will be sailing the Bahamas/Caribbean, you'll also have more cruises to choose from.

You'll get the best deals by cruising in inside cabins on classic ships.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree with what Mainsail Minnie said about Jan and Feb. We usually sail in Jan. I know you said Fall or Spring, but if you go in Jan it can be A LOT cheaper. The same cruise that we are taking in Jan. would cost my family of 3 $2,000 more if we went in March.

Me, personally, I wouldn't be the one putting it together. For any large group, I'd be using a travel agent. Have them be the center point for all input/money.

No way, am I going to be the one everyone winds up complaining to because the cruise wasn't exactly what they wanted.

Thanks everyone for your input! I'll look at Jan-Feb, and we would absolutely use my Dreams Unlimited TA, I'm just doing a little research first to see what might be the best options to present to everyone. We've got at least one birthday and one anniversary in Feb so maybe that would be a great choice. I looked at the other lines going out of PC and honestly while the Harmony of the Seas looks like it certainly has plenty to do I just don't think I want to go on a ship that is that huge.

Harmony of the Seas looks like it certainly has plenty to do I just don't think I want to go on a ship that is that huge.
It's honestly one of those things that you won't know until you're on board the ship and see a working carousel on the Boardwalk (for example).

Thanks everyone for your input! I'll look at Jan-Feb, and we would absolutely use my Dreams Unlimited TA, I'm just doing a little research first to see what might be the best options to present to everyone. We've got at least one birthday and one anniversary in Feb so maybe that would be a great choice. I looked at the other lines going out of PC and honestly while the Harmony of the Seas looks like it certainly has plenty to do I just don't think I want to go on a ship that is that huge.

We took a cruise on the Allure of the Seas, which is about the same size as the Harmony. We thought it was too large and made for a lot of walking, and we went with a larger group, had 4 staterooms. Sometimes, members didn't do things they wanted to do due to where it was on the ship and it was too far for them to walk. Also, our 9yo son didn't enjoy the kids areas/activities, as they were highly structured and only had certain hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter