If you had $15,000 to spend on DVC

Nursejilly

Mouseketeer
Hi y'all,
If you had $15,000 to spend on DVC points & you wanted those points to be at BLT or VGF, which resort would you choose? We currently have points at AKV. Love the resort, but would really love to have points at a monorail access property. We generally go to DW for Mardi Gras or Thanksgiving, usually every other year. If our whole family went on a single trip together, it would be 10 of us. I know we would need a lot of points for staying in a larger villa. I would love some help with scenarios. Could we even get points at BLT? I am not interested in a resale. Thanks for any input!
:)

Hi y'all,
If you had $15,000 to spend on DVC points & you wanted those points to be at BLT or VGF, which resort would you choose? We currently have points at AKV. Love the resort, but would really love to have points at a monorail access property. We generally go to DW for Mardi Gras or Thanksgiving, usually every other year. If our whole family went on a single trip together, it would be 10 of us. I know we would need a lot of points for staying in a larger villa. I would love some help with scenarios. Could we even get points at BLT? I am not interested in a resale. Thanks for any input!

I would buy VGF for a few reasons. BLT is wait listed, so you won't be able to buy right away. If you aren't interested in resale, BLT is currently selling for $165 PP whereas VGF is selling for $150. VGF will be a smaller property, but if you know exactly when you go every year (MG or Thanksgiving) you can book at the 11 month window no problem and stay at VGF. It also has another 4 years on its expiration date. I am waiting on a BLT resale to pass, but if I had the option for the same points and same price, I would have gone VGF for sure.

So it's cheaper (right now), nicer (my opinion), brand new, and the expiration is date is 2064.

If I had $15,000 to spend on DVC I would buy resale at SSR and get 200 points or so. ;)

As to your questions, I guess I would go with VGF since you can currently get them for $150pp versus $165pp for BLT. 15K will only get you 100 points at VGF, not very many if you need a 2 bedroom for 10 people.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you against buying resale? You could get 175 points at BLT for your $15000.

Hi DizBub,
We are not inclined to buy resale b/c we like the versatility of buying direct. I know using DVC points for DCL is not the best use of points but we did it anyway last year and loved the cruise line. I would hate to not have that option. We have also considered trying to sell our AKV points (320) & then use that $$ to buy more points at another resort (BLT or VGF). My nephew has autism & the monorail is so much easier for him. We are going to be at AKV for Christmas this year. I am worried about the wait time for the busses. I know we will still have fun tho. My dream DVC would be at the Poly...:love:

I would buy VGF.

1) I don't like the theme at BLT

2) I love the theme at VGF

3) Smaller resorts like VGF tend to need the home resort advantage. BLT is very do-able at 7 months. I've done it several times when traveling with people who want to stay there.

4) see # 1

5) VGF costs less than BLT direct

6) BLT expires in 2060 and VGF expires in 2064

7) I would be much closer to V&A on the special occasions that we have ressies there which means I can get out of my heels and back into flip flops much sooner.

8) See # 4

9) I can still see Wishes over at Narcoossee's with the music piped in if I want to watch it away from the MK.

10) I enjoy strolling the grounds at GF with DH at dusk and seeing how many wild bunnies we can spot.

Hi y'all,
GF fixed week for the week you normally go or the Poly for the same is the best retail option. For resale, BLT will be much cheaper and thus give you more points. It really depends on how important each component is to you. BLT resale just to get points for a monorail option is likely your best bet as described.

Hi y'all,

VGF because: rooms are bigger in square footage, studio sleeps 5, I believe you will have to have home resort privileges to book popular times and the decor and resort building look more appealing :rotfl2:

You could get 175 points at BLT for your $15000.

Just as an FYI BLT resale is more like a $100/point on stripped contracts right now. Gone are the days of $85/point.

Hi DizBub,
We are not inclined to buy resale b/c we like the versatility of buying direct. I know using DVC points for DCL is not the best use of points but we did it anyway last year and loved the cruise line. I would hate to not have that option. We have also considered trying to sell our AKV points (320) & then use that $$ to buy more points at another resort (BLT or VGF). My nephew has autism & the monorail is so much easier for him. We are going to be at AKV for Christmas this year. I am worried about the wait time for the busses. I know we will still have fun tho. My dream DVC would be at the Poly...:love:

Thanks for the reply. I do understand your position on buying direct...I have 310 direct BLT points myself.

You know that they will be building a DVC at Poly in the coming year or 2. Why not wait for that? Although, I can't imagine what the direct price will be by then. Yikes!

Still think VGF if you're wanting to make the move now. I'd LOVE to buy 100 points there.

Good luck with your decision!

If I had 15000.00 to buy dvc it would be BLT resale all the way - walk to MK, more points and the 2nd bathroom in a 1 bdrm - 3 baths in 2 bdrm not to mention that you CAN still pick up BLT 85.00 - 90.00 even though ASKING prices are in the upper 90.00 to 100.00 it is only ASKING price. VGF you would get a lot less points for the 15000.00 along with HIGHER points to stay in the villas - you will be hard pressed to stay peek times in a larger villa buying there. That's just me!

Nursejilly said:
Hi DizBub,

If you already have 320 direct points, don't you already have the versatility of buying direct? Why do all your points have to have this feature? If a monorail resort is important to you AND you need a larger number of points, then it sounds to me that those criteria are more important than flexibility. If that is the case, a BLT resale is the best option for you. Sorry to say that you can't have it all, you are going to have to compromise somewhere. Good luck! :)

If you already have 320 direct points, don't you already have the versatility of buying direct? Why do all your points have to have this feature? If a monorail resort is important to you AND you need a larger number of points, then it sounds to me that those criteria are more important than flexibility. If that is the case, a BLT resale is the best option for you. Sorry to say that you can't have it all, you are going to have to compromise somewhere. Good luck! :)

I agree. 320 points borrowed and banked would give you 960 a shot for a cruise if you really wanted to. And seeing that you just took a cruise on your AKV points, it looks like you have enough to do the cruise option if you want?

Hi DizBub,

I would say BLT. Appears to have more pool options- CR & BLT. Can walk or take monorail to MK. I know in the past you were able to take a boat to Fort Wilderness & Wilderness Lodge for more dining options & activities. BLT also has a community hall. We recently enjoyed the one @ BWV. My DS 7 also has autism. When he was younger, we would only stay at monorail resorts due to the convenience & he had no desire to get out of his stroller. After lots of intensive therapy, he now loves Disney & is fine with the bus situation even the long one @ BWV. Things we greatly take into account now are dining options, things to do at/near hotel, & pool set ups (especially water slides). Feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the advice y'all! I am seeing the wisdom of just going for a resale BLT contract. It would def save us some $$. Looking forward to our next Disney trip! :) One other question. Our use year for AKV is October. Would we need to find a contract with the same use year? I want to make sure we know how many points & what use year would be the most desirable. Thanks so much!

Thanks for the advice y'all! I am seeing the wisdom of just going for a resale BLT contract. It would def save us some $$. Looking forward to our next Disney trip! :) One other question. Our use year for AKV is October. Would we need to find a contract with the same use year? I want to make sure we know how many points & what use year would be the most desirable. Thanks so much!

You would probably want the same use year. You can go ahead and buy a different one, but it becomes a different account. You can't see both sets of points together, you can't combine them to make one booking; it's kind of a pain. Better (usually) to have one use year.

I want to throw out another idea: you were thinking about buying 100 VGF points for $15,000 so you could use it occasionally for cruises. You could buy 100 BLT resale for about $10,000 and put $5,000 into a "cruise fund", say in a mutual fund. When you feel like taking a cruise one year, bank your points and take some of your cruise money out of the account. You should come out ahead financially doing something like this because cruises with points are typically cash-negative when you account for buy-in costs. And because you're banking points now and then, you'll be able to average more than 100 points in the years when you do go to WDW. Again, just a thought - might work for your situation, might not.

Hope you find just the thing you want!

Probably would be BLT for quicker walking to MK and to get more points for our money. Though, buying direct at VGF sounds delightful right now (after having done 2 resales this year and 1 with a few bumps along the way...oh, and a third contract that got cancelled on us after 8 days into ROFR)...plus VGF is beautiful. But, I think BLT location is better and you'd save about $45pp buying a BLT resale (I would NOT buy BLT direct at $165pp...saving that $65pp is worth the 2 months wait and maybe a little bit of hassle of buying resale). If you are definitely going direct, I'd go with VGF (cheaper). Good luck deciding!

And same UY is ideal, but if your AKV and BLT contracts are about 100-125+ each, then 2 different UY would not be too much of a problem and give you 2 transfers per year...plus if you travel 2 different times a year, 2 UY may be good for that. I have 200 OKW June UY and then 125 HH Aug UY and 100 AKV Aug UY. UY only comes into play if you cancel...we've never had to do that (we may have changed dates, but never had points in holding).

I would buy a BLT resale as you are not going to get a lot of points for that budget and you want a large room so I would want to maximise my number of points.

I agree with the post about you already having unrestricted points for a cruise, etc. So I would go resale.

I also agree with calypso726, particularly points 1, 4 and 8. BLT is not for me. BLT and VGF are two totally different styles, contemporary vs Victorian, and I AM NOT a contemporary person.

I have 150 at VGF, with the exception of a possible add on, my next purchase will be through the resale market

As was stated you do not have to get the same UY as you currently have. We have April and Dec. Both contracts are in our online account at dvcmember.com and are easily viewable as a drop down.

If you decide to go the resale market for BLT the ability for a good deal has become much more difficult. I have been looking for BLT for two months now and most contracts are stripped, no 2013 points, missing 2014 points and some are no points until 2015. These are still in the upper 90's range with owners not willing to negotiate more than a few dollars. The few that have 2013 points forward are over $100/point and are snatched up right away. When calculating resale costs remember to add closing costs and current year points. There are closing costs with DVC direct, but they are not as high as resale. Direct would be $130 for a cash contract, $505 for a 140 point resale BLT contract. With resale if there are any 2013 points you will pay the maintenance fees up front (unless it is negotiated to be paid by seller) with direct you can have it set up monthly (you may know that with your AKV contract). Here is an example of a resale contract currently listed that would be just over $15K
Bay Lake Tower-$104/pt.
140 Points, December UY
2013 MF $630
Closing Costs: $505
Total Out of Pocket: $15,695.00
140 points coming on 12/1/13 and 140 points coming on 12/1/14.

Also remember for resale it will take approximately 2 months to close a contract and receive your points. Resale contracts also need to go through Disney ROFR where Disney is given the opportunity to purchase the contract. If Disney take the contract, then you go back to find another contract.

If you purchase direct VGF points are loaded the next day.

I am still looking for a BLT resale contract but I also purchased VFG last week. I will not buy BLT over $100, just me.

If you have the luxury of time then resale might be a good choice, just weigh all the pros and cons.

We went resale for both our contracts. They have different UY (within 1 month of each other). Our BCV is a small contract that we will use those points exclusively for BCV. Our BWV has more points so we will use that for our BWV stays & any time we want to stay elsewhere at the 7 mo. window. Sure, it would be nice to have the same UY but a great BCV contract came along that we were thrilled with that the different UY just did not matter to us. We are also FL residents so have no desire to use our points for a cruise. For us, the FL resident discounts are far better than ever using our DVC points for it. We did our 1st DCL last year & loved it!!However, using DVC points (or even renting points) for WDW hotel stays is way better than FL discount for WDW hotels.

If I had $15,000 to spend on vacation lodging -- given your current DVC holdings and visitation pattern -- I would not buy DVC at all.

I might buy some other timeshare which offered far more options for those non-WDW years. DVC is probably the smallest really good timeshare product on the market -- 12 total resorts, 8 of which are at WDW and the other 4 which are outshined by competitors in their vicinity.

Other timeshare products offer much more "versatility" and value than DVC once you leave the boundaries of Walt Disney World...and they are available on eBay for $1.

The other option I would consider is buying nothing -- using the $15,000 for cash vacations to supplement DVC. I know this is a DVC forum, but cash offers some very good opportunities -- including for cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts