If you couldnt afford a disney cruise , what would be your second choice cruise line

I know what you mean.

We are booked on the May 2013 Magic EBTA. It only goes to two European ports (Madeira and Gibraltar), which are repeats of two ports we've been to twice already on our two prior Magic Transatlantic cruises. It's too bad DCL repeats the same ports over and over! The total cost (cruise fare, tax and fees) for two adults in an ocean view cabin is $3,020.

This fall, we are booked on a RCI Freedom Class ship for a WBTA. It goes to some interesting ports, including some we haven't been to yet: Cartegena (Spain), Malaga (Spain), Cadiz (Spain), Tenerife (Canary Islands), and La Palma (Canary Islands). The total cost of that cruise is $1,724 -- for two adults in a veranda cabin.

Like you, "I can afford a Disney cruise, but usually prefer to pay less for ships with better itineraries."

Woody

Hey Woody,

That's a super deal on RCL. When did you book it? Who did you go through to book it?

Thanks
Teri

We've had great cruises on RCI, Celebrity, Princess, and NCL (Epic). Each cruise line has it's pros/cons. Our DCL Magic cruise was just so expensive - I'm still kicking myself. Looking forward to our upcoming NCL Breakaway and DCL Fantasy (even with air is still cheaper than our Magic cruise!) - and definitely want to try the Allure or Oasis - likely in 2015. The only cruise lines I would not sail are Carnival and Holland America (only because of the passenger demographics). While I love the Disney experience I did miss a little bit of adult entertainment/activity. I was actually a little bored on the Magic - good thing we had those long photo lines to kill some time. :)

. . . The only cruise lines I would not sail are Carnival and Holland America (only because of the passenger demographics).
We have sailed on HAL, and you are correct about the demographics. (When on HAL, I look around and joke with DW that we can outrun everyone.)

In the last year, we sailed on DCL, RCI, Celebrity, NCL, HAL and Princess. We cruise with HAL as it has some terrific itineraries and visits some unique ports.

Woody

RCCL is generally my first choice, but this is my first Disney. If I hadn't booked VGT, there is no way I would have ever paid that much to go to Nassau b/c the itinerary and departure ports are bigger factors for me than the ship perks. But the jury is still out until we sail on 4/25. Our next will be RCCL in February with a Barbie experience.

Our 2nd choice would be RCCL and Celebrity.:thumbsup2 NCL as well!

Due to Carnivals Inc. many, many incidents, fires a, operational and design issues with there vessels, I would not sail Carnival!. The safely issues are just to big and often to take chances with your family.!:worried:

AKK

We have only cruised with Disney but we are thinking of trying Royal Caribbean sometime in the near future. The only trouble i have with this is i can see us saying 'It's not like disney' all the time! :confused3

We have only cruised with Disney but we are thinking of trying Royal Caribbean sometime in the near future. The only trouble i have with this is i can see us saying 'It's not like disney' all the time! :confused3

You sound just like my wife!...its Disney........no more discussion!:cool1:

Disney does Disney.......its very special and only Disney can do it!...........add in top notch entertainment , food and service and all the others things that go with a great cruise, you have a Disney Cruise.

NOW the other cruise lines have there own version of cruises and special things.........different and to many people not better or worse..............so the best thing to do is try different lines and see if you like other lines..........we did the RCCL Freedom.....a great cruise!

AKK

Cunard. Wonderful! And my son preferred the Cunard kids clubs to Disney. Hands Down!! It's still not Disney though......

Had we not been able to pull off going with Disney, we would have gone with Norwegian Cruise Line. That being said, I believe that for our cruises in the future we'll still go with Disney, perhaps going with a less expensive stateroom, or a less expensive time of the year and making it work that way. :)

I mean you could go on 4 or 5 Carnival cruises for what you pay to go Disney, if you really wanted to. :rotfl:

We just sailed on DCL for the second time last month, and plan to stay with Disney until we've sailed the Med next summer. After that, DCL will have to offer a new itinerary that appeals to us and works with DD's school schedule for us to return.

RCCI is building two new ships, the first of which (the Quantum of the Seas) will launch next fall. They are smaller than the Oasis and Allure, but will have many of the innovations of those ships plus some new ones. We'll have to wait and see what the itineraries look like, but I'm hoping to try the Quantum for spring break in 2015. Our DD is almost 10, and I think RCCI would be a good next step for us. I actually think she'd enjoy it now, but I'm not quite ready give up the Disney magic!

We are huge Disney fans and our first cruise was on DCL because I couldn't imagine starting with another line. However; we have done 2 cruises on RCL Freedom of the Seas and we love this ship. Honestly, our teens prefer it! Royal Caribbean has amazing ships and I truly believe you will not be disappointed!!

I would probably try Royal Caribbean (Oasis or Allure) for a 'the ship IS the destination' type cruise. I would go with Princess again for a great southern Caribbean itinerary and the price. Only Disney does Disney...no sense even comparing when on another cruise line.

When our kids were young the idea of a cruise vacation never occurred to us. Then we learned Disney had a cruise ship and we knew we had to try a cruise. If Disney did not cruise we never would have cruised....probably would have just gone back o WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter