If you came in the day before cruise (suitcase ?)...

Anjelica

DIS Veteran
have you ever had your suitcase lost/misplaced and did NOT get it back prior to the cruise? Just wondering if I really need to spread our clothing into three differing suitcases or if I can just keep it in designated suitcase (i.e. one for my daughters items, husbands, mine, etc.).

We always fly in a day or more early. We have never (knock knock) had any luggage lost by the airlines, but my FIL had DCL lose his... It was found 4 days later..

When traveling, it is always a good idea to separate into different suitcases..

they didn't lose ours... I'd actually be more worried if we were flying in day of rather than day before... day before gives the airlines time to find it if it's lost!

But while I take the risk and always pack our bags seperately, we also do a carryon that has 1 extra set of clothes for each person, 'just in case'...

Then again, I think we'll do the "mixed packing" thing on the upcoming 7 nighter - 2 outfits can get you thru in a pinch on a 3 night, but not so much on a 7!! lol

have you ever had your suitcase lost/misplaced and did NOT get it back prior to the cruise? Just wondering if I really need to spread our clothing into three differing suitcases or if I can just keep it in designated suitcase (i.e. one for my daughters items, husbands, mine, etc.).

I can't say that has happened to me personally, but it can happen. DH was on an entire business trip, 60 miles to the nearest Wal Mart or any store for that matter, without his clothes, cell phone charger, etc... My parents are OCD, and I don't check my luggage...period. Everyone will be in the tight room together, it doesn't hurt to spread your clothes out between bags.

It is always a good idea if you have more than one suitcase to spread clothing around.

My first cruise was on the MS Mermoz, run by Paquet, a French cruise line, out of Miami. They had two ships leaving the same day, and a woman in our group NEVER got her bag. She only had one bag. The bag got delivered to the wrong ship, and despite the cruise line allegedly searching "everywhere" they apparently never radioed the other ship to check, and the crew on the other ship never thought it might belong to someone on the other ship. The cruise line assummed it was the airlines fault (the airline was Pan Am), and reluctantly gave her $200 store credit on board to buy clothing. It was a business trip, so our boss told her to buy what she needed (including a new suitcase) and we'd figure it out after the cruise. At the end of the cruise, Paquet finally did agree to pick up the tab for all the clothes when it was clear it was there mistake.
Very odd, because otherwise, I have never been on a cruise with such a high level of on board customer service. Yes, even higher than Disney. Even the wine was included in the price of the cruise. But they just didn't seem prepared to deal with missing luggage.

If you are coming in the night prior, do not tag your bags with DCL tags. Gather your bags like you would if you were not cruising. Take them to your hotel and tag them there. The next morning, DCL gets your bags when you take them to check in or at the Hyatt of MCO, they pick them up. I did not answer the spread between bags question, because I think your orginal posting had two questions.

I wanted to thank everyone for their responses. We will go ahead and spread out the clothing, etc. just in case. Tinkerbelle - thanks for the tip on not tagging the bags will just do before we go to port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter