If someone was looking for a sports team to root for in your favorite league, what would you tell them about your favorite team?

I’m just curious, does the soccer team ever make the local news or do most not know they exist? Not making this a soccer thread. I’m just curious if the general public at least acknowledges their existence.
I'm aware of the CPL but they really don't get a lot of coverage. York United would - in theory - be my home team but I've not gone to see a game.

@ronandannette only followed curling until the Raptors had their winning season and she jumped on the bandwagon. :duck:

She probably didn’t even know what basketball was before then. ;)

I’ve seen more Calgary Flames games than her, maybe 4 or 5 times the Flames were the visiting team in Phiily or LA or elsewhere. I do hope to see a game in the Saddledome someday.

At least the Browns have been better in the last couple of years compared to the last 20.
Getting better so instead of being able to beat midget football (is that still what it's called in these times of pearl clutching? I'm not sure, doesn't sound right any more), they are now good enough to have a chance of beating high school foot ball team? That's not exactly a good thing for an NFL team :rotfl2:

Getting better so instead of being able to beat midget football (is that still what it's called in these times of pearl clutching? I'm not sure, doesn't sound right any more), they are now good enough to have a chance of beating high school foot ball team? That's not exactly a good thing for an NFL team :rotfl2:
Hey, I remember when the NY Giants had a worse season than the Browns and thinking I was living in April Fools Day, Groundhog’s Day edition.

@ronandannette only followed curling until the Raptors had their winning season and she jumped on the bandwagon. :duck:

She probably didn’t even know what basketball was before then. ;)

I’ve seen more Calgary Flames games than her, maybe 4 or 5 times the Flames were the visiting team in Phiily or LA or elsewhere. I do hope to see a game in the Saddledome someday.
You’re going to have to hurry; it’s apparently completely obsolete as venues go and a new arena will be underway shortly.

You are right about the basketball though. Prior to the 2019 championship run, I had no clue the Raptors even existed. Why wasn’t I told? :confused3

You’re going to have to hurry; it’s apparently completely obsolete as venues go and a new arena will be underway shortly.

You are right about the basketball though. Prior to the 2019 championship run, I had no clue the Raptors even existed. Why wasn’t I told? :confused3
So by this logic, most Canadians on the Dis wouldn’t know about the CANMNT and their WC qualification without my annoying posts? I mean this in a general sense.

So by this logic, most Canadians on the Dis wouldn’t know about the CANMNT and their WC qualification without my annoying posts? I mean this in a general sense.
I can’t speak for what most Canadians know - how could I? :confused3 All I do know for sure is that it doesn’t seem to be prominent in the local or national news scene or on the accompanying sportscasts.

Just for research purposes, I’m going to specifically listen today for any mention of soccer on the radio and supper-hour TV news. I’ll report back with my findings. :magnify:

I can’t speak for what most Canadians know - how could I? :confused3 All I do know for sure is that it doesn’t seem to be prominent in the local or national news scene or on the accompanying sportscasts.

Just for research purposes, I’m going to specifically listen today for any mention of soccer on the radio and supper-hour TV news. I’ll report back with my findings. :magnify:
I didn’t mean it as a direct response to you. I just meant that I wonder if sports culture is more ingrained in American culture than Canadian culture. Most in American society couldn’t name more than one member of the USMNT but would still be able to point out the national team crest. My point is, I wonder if it’s more common in Canadian society to not really know about a local sports team exists unless they follow that sport. It was just meant as a possible observation not an insult. In the USA, most Americans assume we have a pro league in every sport (even if we don’t have a clue about it).

If you do hear anything on the sport in your local media, I’ll be shocked to be honest. If you do, I’ll eat a soccer ball (well it would be a soccer ball cake but you get the idea).

IYou’re going to have to hurry; it’s apparently completely obsolete as venues go and a new arena will be underway shortly.
Yes, I heard that the Saddledome is in its final years. Other than Madison Square Garden in NYC, which was completely rebuilt inside, it’s the oldest NHL arena and outdated by current standards.

What I’d tell a newcomer to Philly is that Princess Diana was a rabid Eagles fan.

ADDBC6A1-6D20-4D55-BA53-5B19C45CB7E6.jpeg

6002324B-40F8-4EEB-9D2D-31197FE95FD5.jpeg

The stories are legendary. She could often be seen and heard in the 700 level of The Vet yelling “Kick his butt!!” while guzzling her 7th beer in only the second quarter.

Then there was the time she repeatedly kicked some dude in the head when he made a snide remark about Ron Jaworski. As she walked away, leaving him in a pool of his own blood, she snapped “Take that crap back to Dallas!!!”

Unconfirmed rumors say she threw snowballs at Santa when she was 7 years old.

2549CD98-7481-4BC1-A9A8-12A4369057BA.jpeg

We don't watch any pro sports, just SEC College Football. And I always say "Go Dawgs" because - well they are the current National Champs and I live in the Athens, GA area and my Daddy, Mama, Ex-Husband, son, brother and current hubby all went to or graduated from UGA and I used to work there.

The reason I don't watch pro sports is because, well, they are too professional. I like the college and high school games because they are usually playing for the love of the game.

You can either root for my favorite team or you can root for some losers.

We don't watch any pro sports, just SEC College Football. And I always say "Go Dawgs" because - well they are the current National Champs and I live in the Athens, GA area and my Daddy, Mama, Ex-Husband, son, brother and current hubby all went to or graduated from UGA and I used to work there.

The reason I don't watch pro sports is because, well, they are too professional. I like the college and high school games because they are usually playing for the love of the game.
SEC players take a pay cut when turning pro.

It’s hard to be a Cleveland Browns fan in general and it’s definitely not getting any better. Deshawn Watson is the worst of the worst. I recommend the Bengals or Steelers. You can only put up with the stupidity for so long.
Yes to all of this. I’m a Browns fan and like to stay loyal to our home teams, but surely, there had to be another QB the Haslans could have spent all that money on.

That they should stay far, far away from my team (Cincinnati Reds). They were my team growing up so I won't disavow them now, but that way lies nothing but heartache.

I didn’t mean it as a direct response to you. I just meant that I wonder if sports culture is more ingrained in American culture than Canadian culture. Most in American society couldn’t name more than one member of the USMNT but would still be able to point out the national team crest. My point is, I wonder if it’s more common in Canadian society to not really know about a local sports team exists unless they follow that sport. It was just meant as a possible observation not an insult. In the USA, most Americans assume we have a pro league in every sport (even if we don’t have a clue about it).

If you do hear anything on the sport in your local media, I’ll be shocked to be honest. If you do, I’ll eat a soccer ball (well it would be a soccer ball cake but you get the idea).
Absolutely NOT. The simple fact is that professional soccer is just not very popular here, at least at this point. If anybody cares, they know.

OK, so I heard half-a-dozen sportscasts today and nada for soccer. The stories were all Bluejays, Canada Games and the upcoming CFL match-ups for the weekend. I did see a banner ad while watching Disney+ tonight for a streaming service called (I think) FUBO selling coverage of the World Premier League. I also just scrolled my newsfeed and found this about 8 pages down:
https://globalnews.ca/news/9057127/canada-south-korea-women-soccer-august/

OK, so I heard half-a-dozen sportscasts today and nada for soccer. The stories were all Bluejays, Canada Games and the upcoming CFL match-ups for the weekend. I did see a banner ad while watching Disney+ tonight for a streaming service called (I think) FUBO selling coverage of the World Premier League. I also just scrolled my newsfeed and found this about 8 pages down:
https://globalnews.ca/news/9057127/canada-south-korea-women-soccer-august/
I seriously applaud your effort in trying. 👏

I’m honestly not surprised. If you really want to do the same kind of research in the future, you should try again around September 23rd. That’s when the CanMNT play their next game. If Canada’s media doesn’t mention anything that day, then I would be really shocked.

Oh just to let you know (in case your local news never talked about it), your local team played very well tonight. And your local stadium looks cool. This will be the last soccer post I make on the thread. :-)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter