If I get trip insurance independently what would I insure?

discorsner

DIS Veteran
Situation- booked for 10 nights for Tgiving at BWV. All but one night are on points. One night was not available so we paid cash through member services and waitlisted for the night on the off chance it became available.

We are going to be adding on Disney Dining Plan.

We have air booked on our own.

We have Annual Passes and some MVMCP tickets

We will rent a car.

What if anything should we get trip insurance for? We usually only get insurance for cruises but we are a little worried because DH grandfather is in his 90s and you just never know!

So insurance would cover air and probably the one night we had to pay cash for.

What about the dining plan? Is that cancellable up until the day of the reservation? If we cancelled at last minute for any reason would we get DDP money back if we didn't have trip insurance? Would most trip insurances cover a dining plan?

What about MVMCP tickets?

Sorry about all the questions... haven't gotten any trip insurance since joining DVC so really not sure about what to consider.

TIA

Independent trip insurance would cover anything that you paid for up front(one night, dining plan, tickets, flight, etc.). Trip insurance through MS would cover your points.

I forgot to add that you would only need to worry about your points if you had to cancel the trip on the day you were supposed to check-in. If you cancel 1-30 days out, your points will go into holding.

I forgot to add that you would only need to worry about your points if you had to cancel the trip on the day you were supposed to check-in. If you cancel 1-30 days out, your points will go into holding.

One issue some people don't think about - what if you have to leave early. There's an emergency and you leave on day 2 of 7. You lose points plus you may have expenses to change your airline tickets. Plus some insurance plans cover some medical expenses.

One issue some people don't think about - what if you have to leave early. There's an emergency and you leave on day 2 of 7. You lose points plus you may have expenses to change your airline tickets. Plus some insurance plans cover some medical expenses.

Good point. I don't think many people do think about what would happen if you had to cut your trip short. We were flying back from Hawaii and when we landed, my husband turned on his phone (when he was told he could) and there were 20 calls from my sister and mother. It turned out that my father that day had a major heart attack and was in the ICU.

In the back of my mind, I have always wondered how difficult it would have been to get back home (obviously we would have gone home) if the event had happened earlier in the week.

By the way, after 15 days in the ICU, he did live and he is still with us.:)

So glad to hear he is alive and well!

Does anyone know the dining plan cancellation policy when you get it through DVC?

Independent trip insurance would cover anything that you paid for up front(one night, dining plan, tickets, flight, etc.). Trip insurance through MS would cover your points.

I'm new to DVC (waiting on closing), so I don't have whatever info will be provided when I'm "official." I'm really interested to know about trip insurance through MS as we too have elderly family members. What circumstances does it cover and what is the price? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!