If Disney were alive today, would he like or dislike want his going on in his company?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by old lady, Jan 10, 2019.

1. old lady

old lady DIS Veteran

What do you think?

2. kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

If he were alive the Walt Disney company would have ceased to exist and gone out of business years ago.

He was a visionary but not a good business man.

Praying Colonel, MillauFr and Ben E N like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Gumbo4x4

Gumbo4x4 Note to the ladies who forgot to

Both, I imagine. There’d be things he never imagined that would please him greatly, and some things he’d have done differently or not done at all.

5. cabanafrau

cabanafrau DIS Veteran

I think he'd be angry about the persistent grubby and less than up to show standards of many facets of the parks and the fact that it is simply considered the way things are done today. Filth in monorails, Small World, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin are three very grungy areas that spring to mind first.

I'd love to see the decision makers responsible attempt to explain to him taking a wonderful concept of attraction and character of Figment in the Imagination pavilion and reducing it to something where the big finish is a flatulence joke.

6. Wishing on a star

Wishing on a star DIS Veteran

Only HE could say....
    I think he would be very pleased and satisfied with some...
    But, simply disgusted and angry about others... I find the sub-standard and cheap quality of much of what Disney offers to be just awful.
    Disney wanted to be the best... cutting edge.... NOT K-Mart at such offensively high prices.

7. MrsCobraBubbles

MrsCobraBubbles Life's too short to wear pants all the time

I feel like Walt would disapprove of the way lower income people are being priced out of Disney vacations. I know he would have disapproved of all those crummy, low-budget straight-to-video animated movies in the '90s!

8. LSUmiss

LSUmiss DIS Veteran

That’s my thing. I have no issues with the cost. Of course, it’d be nicer if it were cheaper. But no business has any obligation to make anything affordable for me or any certain group. But I do think he would be appalled at the lack of quality. I think it will ultimately be the demise of the company. I don’t necessarily think it’ll happen soon or even in my lifetime, but eventually it won’t be any different than any other theme park.

9. JaxDad

JaxDad DIS Veteran

I think he would be pretty happy with his portfolio.

10. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

Well, I never personally knew Walt Disney, but I do know his daughters selected San Francisco for the location of the Walt Disney Family Museum because of their dislike for what the Walt Disney Company has become. The refused to put it anywhere near any of the Disney parks of studios.

j2thomason and L&Lfan like this.
  11. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

But if Roy was still alive too, that would have been a none issue.

12. Forevermarypoppins

Forevermarypoppins DIS Veteran

As long as he had the best business minded person beside him, I think all would still exist!! Walt did not worry where the money came from. It's impossible to say what he would have concluded (decisions) with the worldwide billion dollar corporation it is today. I'd like to think he'd see that the average Joe is getting priced out, of late and not have that happen.

Gumbo4x4 likes this.
  13. Klayfish

Klayfish DIS Veteran

Oh jeez, what a slippery slope this could be. Nobody knows for sure. He couldn't have imagined (I don't think) the technology and innovations that exist today.

This always reminds me of what I heard one time. DW and I were in Mission Space green. We were waiting in the room after the video, before you load into the car. There was an older man, I'm guessing 70 or so, with what I could only presume was his grandson. As we waited about 3 minutes or so, he said "This is crazy, Walt would have never approved of this!!" I just smiled.

marcyleecorgan likes this.
  14. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

I can't see him liking the poor quality and money grubbing that we see so often nowadays. However he might have been fascinated with some of the technology but hopefully not that pathetic website!

karensi and j2thomason like this.
  15. motherof5

motherof5 DIS Veteran

How sad this is his legacy and they should have his family have input

16. disneyjunkie

disneyjunkie I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!!!

Low income people have always been priced out of Disney vacations.

My parents (70 and 72) were not able to vacation at Disneyland when they were growing up. A Disney World vacation was not an option when my sister and I (50 and 49) were growing up.

My son, nieces and nephews have all grown up going to Disney( and on other amazing vacations). Their reality was nothing more than a dream for their parents and grandparents.

Disney vacations have always been out of reach for many.

17. Sandeep1

Sandeep1 Mouseketeer

He'd love some things and be disgusted by others. The rides are pretty solid I must say. The amount and variety of resorts is nice. The Disney brand growth around the world has probably gone beyond what even Walt dreamed.

However, abominations like FP+ would probably make Walt want to puke his guts out.

18. bcla

bcla DIS Veteran

Walt didn’t want his children or grandchildren involved in the business side. He actively shielded them. I don’t think Walt would have wanted them to be involved.

19. luvsJack

luvsJack DIS Veteran

I think he would have a good business man by his side to take care of that part.

And I think he would be happy with parts of it but I also think there is a whole lot that he would t be.

I do believe some things would have went in a different direction if he had been in charge longer or was still.

I wonder about things like would he have went with DVC or would he have perhaps built more moderate resorts or even more value resorts?

Would there be more quality? Yes, I definitely believe that.

20. bcla

bcla DIS Veteran

Disneyland admission was $1 in 1955. Rides cost 10-30 cents. Maybe 9x that to account for inflation. I remember even as far back as the 1980s we always thought of visiting as relatively affordable.

PollyannaMom and Gumbo4x4 like this.
  21. disneyjunkie

disneyjunkie I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!!!

Even with $1 admission, there were low income families that couldn't afford that WANT.

Your experiences were not the same for every family in America. In the 80s, Disney was just a dream for me and pretty much everyone I knew. Disney did not become a reality for me until I was firmly planted in the middle class.