If DCL can change our room, what's the point of choosing one?

kkmcan

Official Mouse Fan
I've had a sideways cat 11 booked since May for the 2 night out of Los Angeles. I logged in to make my final payment and I see they took us out of 5501 and put us in 6105 (a regular cat 11).

I was so excited for our sideways room. Can I call and complain?

I should think if you specifically selected a room you would be within your rights to call and at least ASK somebody if you could have it back...esp. since it's not like they upgraded your category. Now if you book a GTY room then you can't be quite as picky. But I would definitely call and talk to someone just to see what the deal is.

No it was not gty.

I will call and make the payment over the phone so I can also ask about getting the Disney Visa OBC. I wasn't sure if I had to specifically ask for that OBC or if it was automatic for using their card to make payments. I realize that all payments needed to be made on the Disney Visa.

Actually I was told all payments didn't have to be made on the card. I made my deposit on it and got the $50 OBC.

Someone on our cruise just before your 2 night one(the Panama Canal Repo) had the same thing happen and I presume it is the same room as theirs was a sideways one. Apparently there is a maintenance issue and it has to be out of commission for a while. Seems odd, but that is what they said. DCL actually moved them to GTY as they couldn't contact them. I think they noticed it by chance!!!

They phoned up and chose another room, but I'm thinking your cruise is a sell out, though they found you this room.

WOW! Thanks for the info. I guess if they have issues with the room then ok. I'm fine with that. I'm certainly glad that they have a room for me since this is a completely full cruise.

I went ahead and made my payment online. Should I call anyways to make sure that I get the Disney Visa OBC?

The ship isn't totally sold out now since I just had to cancel one of my cabins on the ship (my DD & her BF), so one lucky person will probably be upgraded to a verandah room on deck 5 room 5626. LOL

that's a bummer! I hope they don't ordinarily do this. I specifically asked for a certain room and did not want to put "do not upgrade" on our reservation just on the rare chance we could be pixie dusted, but our TA assured me repeatedly that DCL would ask us first before changing our room to any other one, same cat or not.. :(

WOW! Thanks for the info. I guess if they have issues with the room then ok. I'm fine with that. I'm certainly glad that they have a room for me since this is a completely full cruise.

I went ahead and made my payment online. Should I call anyways to make sure that I get the Disney Visa OBC?
Did you use the code for the Disney Visa OBC when you made your payment? If not, then you need to call DCL to have it applied. My experience was that it was not an automatic thing.

Sayhello

I wondered about this too. I picked a great room for our catagory since we booked early. We are a party of three in a room that holds four. I'm waiting to see if they move us to a room that only holds three. I picked this room because it is more toward the center of the ship. The rooms that hold three were farther out. I'm not oing to worry too much if they move us up a floor where my parents are (higher catagory).

Thanks. I have posted over on that meet thread before but not in a while. I do try and check it every so often to see if anyone has any news on dining rotations, boarding time, other special activites etc.

I'm dying to know what's going to happen on this cruise!

I don't know there was a code. I guess I better call.

From DisneyRewards.com:
Use your Disney Rewards Visa Credit Card, Disney Rewards Visa® Debit Card, and/or Disney Rewards Redemption Card to book a Disney Cruise Line® vacation and receive a $50 onboard credit good towards merchandise, spa treatments, shore excursions and other onboard activities. Call 1-800-257-2024 or your travel agent to book a Disney Cruise Line® vacation and ask for booking code DCC. Offer must be requested at time of booking for new bookings only. The onboard credit is per stateroom for each stateroom paid in full with Disney Rewards Visa Card or a Disney Rewards Debit Card up to a maximum of 4 staterooms. Any unused portions are non-refundable and non-transferable. Cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts. Offer subject to change or cancellation without notice. Ships' Registry: The Bahamas.

I've had a sideways cat 11 booked since May for the 2 night out of Los Angeles. I logged in to make my final payment and I see they took us out of 5501 and put us in 6105 (a regular cat 11).

Hopefully you can get your room back!

I've seen others recommend that if you ever book a room that you don't want to be moved out of, that you should have DCL or your TA put a notation on your reservation that you are not to be moved without being consulted first (in case they offer you a major upgrade, while still giving you the right to turn down a room change.)

Some people like it when they get upgraded. However, if you go through the trouble of selecting a specific room and don't want it changed, then you need to put "Please do not upgrade" or something similar within your reservation.

We have booked the secret verandah room for both our cruises and were close to our neighbors that we were traveling with. I did not want to risk an upgrade to another deck or further down so we asked not to be upgraded.

Someone on our cruise just before your 2 night one(the Panama Canal Repo) had the same thing happen and I presume it is the same room as theirs was a sideways one. Apparently there is a maintenance issue and it has to be out of commission for a while. Seems odd, but that is what they said. DCL actually moved them to GTY as they couldn't contact them. I think they noticed it by chance!!!

They phoned up and chose another room, but I'm thinking your cruise is a sell out, though they found you this room.

Hi KKMCAN:hippie: My family was the one GRANMAZ mentioned in her post...we are on the Repositioning cruise through the Panama Canal and were booked into stateroom 5501 (we, too, were excited about the sideways CAT 11). For a completely different cruise, I logged into DCL only to 'discover':confused3 my 5501 was changed to GTY:confused3...so I called (I had a "DO NOT UPGRADE" marker)...I was told by the sweet Guest Services Rep that my stateroom would be out-of-service due to mechanical/maintenance issues during our cruise, and that they had attempted to contact me (3 weeks prior, and just once - I checked the Caller ID) with no answer they moved our ressie to GTY. My preference was to stay on Deck 5 and she was able to locate another Cat 11 that was agreeable to us (there were several staterooms, though none sideways, on Deck 5 so I did have a choice).
The up-side...we are still sailing with our DIS :grouphug:friends, we are still Deck 5 and Guest Services was very helpful. The :scared1:-side...had I not logged into DCL when I did there may not have been the acceptable options, DCL is a 1-call-to-notify:headache:changes are coming, all my exciting FE goodies might have been enjoyed by someone else (evil :eek: twin will be knocking on the stateroom during the cruise to see if 'anyone' is home), and I now have a calendar reminder to check on this cruise and future cruise stateroom assignments.

I hope you enjoy your new stateroom & cruise!

The ship isn't totally sold out now since I just had to cancel one of my cabins on the ship (my DD & her BF), so one lucky person will probably be upgraded to a verandah room on deck 5 room 5626. LOL

Oooh. We had 5626 last year. It had a horrible loud noise about every 5 minutes. It was a mechanical type noise that went all day long.

The plus side of that room for us was that the sewer pipe broke on the 1st night of our 7 night cruise. :eek: We had 2 rooms booked across the hall from each other and the only other room they had to put us in was one of the HA suites! Disney cleaned our close and moved rooms for both cabins. It was nice!

Hi KKMCAN:hippie: My family was the one GRANMAZ mentioned in her post...we are on the Repositioning cruise through the Panama Canal and were booked into stateroom 5501 (we, too, were excited about the sideways CAT 11). For a completely different cruise, I logged into DCL only to 'discover':confused3 my 5501 was changed to GTY:confused3...so I called (I had a "DO NOT UPGRADE" marker)...I was told by the sweet Guest Services Rep that my stateroom would be out-of-service due to mechanical/maintenance issues during our cruise, and that they had attempted to contact me (3 weeks prior, and just once - I checked the Caller ID) with no answer they moved our ressie to GTY. My preference was to stay on Deck 5 and she was able to locate another Cat 11 that was agreeable to us (there were several staterooms, though none sideways, on Deck 5 so I did have a choice).
The up-side...we are still sailing with our DIS :grouphug:friends, we are still Deck 5 and Guest Services was very helpful. The :scared1:-side...had I not logged into DCL when I did there may not have been the acceptable options, DCL is a 1-call-to-notify:headache:changes are coming, all my exciting FE goodies might have been enjoyed by someone else (evil :eek: twin will be knocking on the stateroom during the cruise to see if 'anyone' is home), and I now have a calendar reminder to check on this cruise and future cruise stateroom assignments.

I hope you enjoy your new stateroom & cruise!

Hi!:wave2: Thanks for posting! I hopped over to the meets board for the PC cruise to look for your post about your experience but do you know how long that thread is????? They've got 4 new threads started with hundreds of posts on each! I gave up looking after a while. I was just interested in hearing how this happened to you too.

All in all, I won't complain as there's nothing that could be done anyways. It's only 2 nights so no biggie. I love the evil twin idea! I might have to do that myself, just to see....:eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter