If date to book public discount has passed, will cancelled rooms under discount be available later?

twodogs

DIS Veteran
I hope this makes sense...

I am trying to book a Room Only reservation under the Magical Holidays Offer, which can be booked through October 7, 2017, for our December stay. I have been unable to find a discount that I want at a resort/room type that I want, so far. If the end date for booking the offer passes (October 7), and someone who had a room booked under the offer later cancels their booking (say they booked with the Magical Holidays offer last month for a December stay, and cancelled it in November), would that discounted room show back up online as an option for me to book? I just don't know if I should keep checking for discounted room availability online with this offer, after the end date for booking it, October 7?

Hopefully that makes sense, and any help is appreciated. I will check every day until check-in if these discounted rooms go "back into circulation" for booking even after the offer has "closed", but I don't want to waste my time if nothing will be available to book after the "closed" date, regardless of cancellations of others later.

It's like any other sale; when the sale is over, everything goes back to regular non-discounted pricing. So, even if someone cancels a room booked with the discount, the room will be priced at rack rate, after the booking deadline for that particular promotion passes. That is, of course, unless you qualify for another active promotion, valid for your check-in date.

If I understand you right, you don't care if the room is discounted our not, just that it is available to you. You can check that now for availability and book it at a non discounted price, just go into room available, not into any offer or discount and that will show you what is available, yesterday after having to move from poly to gf, I thought no I should move back but for hours my room was not available, then I realized to go out of offers and see and sure enough the room is offered at the rack rate and is available to me again.

What I am wanting is a room at a discount. I currently have it booked at Rack Rate because that is all that is available. I was hoping that some people who booked rooms under the Room Only discount would cancel them when it got closer if their plans changed. Then I was hoping I could pick up that discounted room. However, the Room Only offer stops being able to be booked 10/8/17, so I wanted to know if discounted rooms cancelled after that date would be available for me to book WITH that discount. And it sounds like a "no.". So I will only check for the next few days for a discount. If it doesn't come available, I will have to decide if I want to keep rack rate or cancel.

Have you tried looking for your nights individually? I wanted to book Pop with this discount and all my nights were showing as available when looking for them one by one, yet if I looked for the full range of nights in one reservation the site told me you there was no availability. I called to see if they could sort this out and it took a while, but I had a great CM on the line who went through the trouble of getting a supervisor to make it work. She told me it's an inventory control thing and the supervisor had to contact the resort to release inventory for my nights in one reservation. I think it's simply a way of getting people to spend more on their resort reservation, because if one room type or resort is showing as unavailable for your dates you go up to the next best thing.

My backup plan was to book the nights one by one and having them link the reservations so we could stay in the same room.

I would recommend being flexible on resort and room type. This is a bit easier to do in the value and deluxe categories. With construction at the moderates CBR and CSR, that's making POFQ and POR even more popular. Values are a little less challenging. No discounts at AOA? Walk over from Pop. No discounts at ASMO? just book ASMU. You got some options at deluxe level, too. Have to stay on the Boardwalk? You got Yacht, Beach, and Boardwalk to choose from. A little less Disney, but the entirely renovated Swan and Dolphin are good options. Need to stay on the monorail loop? Perhaps GF will be a little easier to snag than the Poly. AKL is a beautiful resort, but you're trading quick access for a better discount.

Discounts are easiest to get if you're flexible. Disney knows that folks set on a resort/room type will pay rack, so why offer them a discount?

I have tried booking one night at a time, and being somewhat flexible on resort, but I don't think it is going to work! I just can't get it all in one room type for each of the nights, with the discount. Since it is a 4 night trip, moving rooms or resorts is not worth some savings to me (and for Poly, which is what I'm really wanting, it's only 10% off, I think). Thanks all for the help, and I will keep checking back!

You're booking now for a trip in December of this year? That's fine and dandy if you are, just know that December is a big time for free dining. That's a pretty big perk to buy into and they haven't necessarily offered too many room discounts in conjunction with it. Also, as others said, if someone booked a room under an offer then cancelled, no. The room will be whatever price it is as of today. The discount won't "stick" to the room.

We booked under the free dining offer for Nov, but when we booked flights we couldn't get the days to match up. We tried for months to get the first coupl r nights at the same resort as the rest of our stay. Even after the promotion could no longer be booked online guest services encouraged us to keep calling back in case someone cancelled. I can't guatantee that we would have been able to change dates and keep free dining, because nothing ever opened up, but that is certainly what they indicated. If you booked under the Holiday offer for a diff date or resort, maybe they could modify your stay even after the booking deadline passed if your preferred choice opened up. Fortunately a magical travel agent was able to get us the exact rooms we wanted, do I don't have to search any more, but I do feel your pain!

Thanks all. I don't know how to check, but when does Free Dining end? We arrive 12/15, so I don't know if that is impacting things. I was able to get a RO with the discount at BC, but still hoping for the Poly. It looks like there is now another RO discount as of today, until the end of the year, but no availability at Poly either. Sigh. I'll keep looking, but at least I have something, so we are going!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter