Ideas for our 5th day??

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by jayally, Dec 31, 2017.

1. jayally

jayally DIS Veteran

We live in California and my son is a Disneyland cast member (Jungle cruise skipper) and I was able to arrange for our family to go to WDW for a 7 day vacation from Feb 6th - Feb 12th using his maingate pass and cast discount for hotel and food. This includes 2 travel days so we have 5 full days at Disneyworld and I will have a rental car with 5 adults staying at a AOA suite. Even with his discounts this is a very expensive trip I am paying 100% so I am trying to keep it reasonable and affordable. I think I made good choices on what to do each day by avoiding parks with the extra magic hour since we are not early risers and hope my food estimates are accurate. I have been buying Disney gift cards at Sams clubs for 5% dicount and hoping to have $2800 by the time we leave to pay for the food, incidentals and room. (I still need $1100 in the next 37 days! :rolleyes1).

We have dining reservations and fastpasses (could not get pandora) for 4 of our days but I don't know what to do on the 5th day, which will be Sunday Feb 11. Is there anything good to do at Disney springs? (I still think of it as DD so it has really changed and my kids loved DisneyQuest). Should we venture off property and what would you suggest? Would it be too cold to go to the beach (not to go swimming but just to see the atlantic ocean or Gulf of Mexico?) Is there anything in the Orlando area you think would be fun or a must do activity for 5 adults that won't break my bank account? (youngest is 21 and oldest is 49). My son, daughter and I have been to Florida & WDW multiple times (last time was 2010) but my Son's Girlfriend and my Fiance have not.

Wednesday 2/7/17
    Our first full day. Late extra Magic hours until 10pm at Magic Kingdom. Go to Animal Kingdom today
    Dining: Quick service lunch $15 X 5 = $75
    Chef Mickey's Fun Time Buffet Dinner at Chef Mickey's 8:50 PM, Dinner
    $50 X 5 = $250 less 20% = $213 (18% tip for parties over 6)

Thursday 2/8/17
    Early magic hours at Epcot future world. Go to Magic Kingdom – Fast pass for Mine train
    Dining: Skippers canteen. Reservation for 2/8 at 4pm dinner 40% holiday coupon
    Dining: Quick service late dinner $15 X 5 = $75

Friday 2/9/17
    Early Magic hours at Magic Kingdom. Go to Epcot today – Fast Pass for Frozen ride
    Dining: Biergarten 2/9 2:30 PM, Lunch 50% holiday coupon
    Dining: Quick service dinner $15 X 5 = $75

Saturday 2/10/18
    Go to Hollywood Studios
    – Fast Pass for Rock n Rollercoaster
    Dining: Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant Dinner
    2/10 for 6:55 PM, Dinner 20% discount Approx. $100
    Dining: Quick service lunch $15 X 5 = $75

Sunday 2/11/18

Early extra Magic hour at MGM/Hollywood Studios.
    Where should we go Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom, Disney Springs or Orlando area? This is our last night.

Monday 2/12/18 heading home. Both flights leave around noon.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  2. Davey Jones II

Davey Jones II DIS Veteran

If you can stay up a bit late, I would highly recommend that you go to Pandora about an hour before park close, and get in line for the rides then. We rode Na`vi River twice in the last half hour of park operation, with hardly any waits. Get in the queue for Na`vi first, a half hour or so before park close, then FOP just before closing time. The wait for both will be far shorter than the rest of the day.

Hootenany and PollyannaMom like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. DisneyWishes14

DisneyWishes14 DIS Veteran

If you already have park passes, I would simply wait until a few days into your trip and pick the park you would like to re-visit on your last day. I would just eat QS to save money. If you don't have park passes, I would recommend going to Kennedy Space Center!

Also, just as a suggestion if you want to save some money, I would consider canceling Chef Mickey dinner. It's expensive and the food is just not worth it IMHO.

5. mom2rtk

mom2rtk Invented the term "Characterpalooza"

More Magic Kingdom. Always more Magic Kingdom.

6. PollyannaMom

PollyannaMom I was a click-clack champ!!

I agree with playing it by ear. You may get rain or run into mechanical troubles that take a chunk out of one of your park days, or your group may just find they want more time in one (or that they want to split up that day and each do favorites again). When you've already got multiple-day tickets, each subsequent day costs less, so the 5th day might not add as much as you think.

7. stsomewhere

stsomewhere DIS Veteran

skip chef mickey's. just eat quick service. save money for snacks around the world in Epcot.
    Cancel rental car and use disney transportation

Texans_loyal likes this.
  8. umichigan10

umichigan10 DIS Veteran

Couldn’t agree more. That buffets gone downhill quite a lot over the past few years (at least for dinner)

Arielle71 and DaisyDuck001 like this.
  9. jayally

jayally DIS Veteran

We have a FP for Na'vi River but could not get one for FOP.

10. jayally

jayally DIS Veteran

I thought about canceling it since it is expensive for what it is and my son doesn't care for Chef Mickey's anymore even though we started doing it so he could see the Monorail go through the hotel but my daughter wants to do it since it has become a tradition for our first night at WDW on every visit. My fiance used to drive Monorails at Disneyland and he has never seen the one at WDW or been to the contemporary hotel and would get a kick out of seeing it pass overhead. I agree the food is not the best and going late allows us to get 20% off the price and hopefully we will be hungry enough to stuff ourselves so we sleep well. I may still change my mind although my daughter would be really upset since this is most likely our last family trip - its too hard to coordinate everyones schedules! We are doing the skipper canteen for my son since he is a JC skipper but I don't really care for the menu choices.

mom2rtk and umichigan10 like this.
  11. jayally

jayally DIS Veteran

Kennedy space center is a good idea! My son and I went in 2003 and it was a nice little trip. I will have to look into how much it costs 15 years later!

12. jayally

jayally DIS Veteran

I am not worried about the tickets as we are using my son's main gate pass but I don't know how it works exactly as I know the tickets are not unlimited. His Girlfriend is coming with us and she is also a cast member so that doubles our entry access.

13. jayally

jayally DIS Veteran

The car rental is costing me $0 since I am using my captial one venture card miles for a 7 day intermediate car. We also get free parking for staying on site or using my Son's cast member pass. I thought having the car would give us more flexability to go outside the resort area for shopping and dining, we will stop on the way to the resort to buy breakfast foods. I was thinking perhaps a day at Universal would be fun but $110+ each is a lot of money. Kennedy Space center is $50 PP so that would be cheaper but its still $250!!

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/info/tickets

PollyannaMom likes this.
  14. umichigan10

umichigan10 DIS Veteran

That’s good you can at least get some discount on the price, Disney buffets are crazy expensive. The only other thing I could suggest is going somewhere else along the monorail (maybe ohanas but I know reservations are tough there) and then you could kind of resort hop for the evening so you could see the monorail and stuff? Just a thought, but I can totally understand the dollar amount that goes into things(especially that 20% discount)

15. tinkerjo

tinkerjo Crazy Disney nut

I would do the last day at DAK. The attractions there are unlike any at Disneyland really. MK are both similar and there is sorin, ToT( I know they changed it) TSMM at California adventure so DAK is different. I am not q fan of Disney springs( you just spend more money) and universal is no Disney IMO. Sea world is nice but you can see that in San Diego. Good luck with planning and have fun

16. tinkerjo

tinkerjo Crazy Disney nut

Also did you check the cabins at FW? You may get it cheaper than the AoA resort and even if you don't you could fix a few of your own meals. The fort has a lot of activities to offer too like the campfire sing along and the electrical water pageant

Texans_loyal and PollyannaMom like this.
  17. georgina

georgina DIS Veteran

I can understand wanting to skip morning EMH, but why wouldn't you go to MK on Day 1 since it is open until 10PM? I love the MK at night. There is a paid event at MK on 2/8 from 8-11PM but I don't know how that might affect the crowd, in the past those folks could get in before 8 I think.

Ds4angels likes this.
  18. PollyannaMom

PollyannaMom I was a click-clack champ!!

I just assumed their plan was to avoid the EMH park, because that's usually the most crowded for the whole day.

19. sharonabe

sharonabe DIS Veteran

Do the cast member tickets include the hopper? That would make your 5th day a lot more flexible.

To do FoP, you either have to be at the park an hour before opening (and you don't like early mornings), be at AK at closing so you can get in the line near closing, or you're going to be waiting in line for 2 hours or more. You don't want to miss this ride, if at all possible. So if you have hoppers, I'd start wherever you want on that 5th day, but end at AK in order to do FoP. Get to AK around 6:00 or so to catch Rivers of Life, then head over to FoP. Personally, I wouldn't want another full day at AK, but that's just us.

20. disneylover102

disneylover102 Mouseketeer

Finish off with the Magic Kingdom. When we have gone, we like to do Magic Kingdom at least first and last (with some days in the middle). Magic Kingdom is the favorite park of many people and it starts the trip off on a good note and leaves it on a good note.

Taylor'sMom and mom2rtk like this.
  21. Silver Queen

Silver Queen DIS Veteran

From your description it sounds like you don't have park tickets for the fifth day and would have to purchase them. If you do have park hoppers for five days you could be flexible and go back to one or more of the parks where you missed some attractions. Another option might be one of the water parks. We do like to spend a day at Typhoon Lagoon during our trips.