I won't say I'm in love...but I am!! A Feb '14 GSC PTR! (NEW 2/9)

Hi! I'm just joining in! I'm running the GSC too! And staying at BWV, in a studio, on rented points! SO funny.

I also just did the same thing you did when the discounts came out :rotfl: I booked POP for Thursday night because flights were cheaper and I couldn't change my BWV stay.

I'm super excited for the extra time in Disney and for extra time at the expo Friday, I can't wait!!

Talk about twinning! At this rate, we're bound to be neighbors that weekend! :rotfl2:

Seeing as our dates match, please feel free to chime in any time with your plans or thoughts! Love to hear from fellow GSCers!

Sounds like some good things have been happening.

The race looks like you had a great time. A beach at the finish must be amazing!!! And to PR too?!!? :cool1:

and yay for flights!!! I don't blame you for going with the one you did. That is quite the savings!!!

And...one night at All Start Sports... I agree... you might as well enjoy the savings since it is just one night. :goodvibes Course I understand how tempting upgrading can be.

Sounds like some good things have been happening.

The race looks like you had a great time. A beach at the finish must be amazing!!! And to PR too?!!? :cool1:

and yay for flights!!! I don't blame you for going with the one you did. That is quite the savings!!!

And...one night at All Start Sports... I agree... you might as well enjoy the savings since it is just one night. :goodvibes Course I understand how tempting upgrading can be.

I've held out on the upgrade so far so I think I might be past the temptation stage! Now, I've got my sights set on upgrading for future trips, haha! :thumbsup2

This week we officially passed our 120 day/4 month mark! It seems like this trip is sneaking up awful fast- don't worry, I'm not complaining, though. I'm very excited to get back to the World!

Before I start the running recap, I have a Disney question for y'all- can someone walk me through the logistics of a split stay? I feel a little silly not being clear on the details because I've read a ton of great TRs that talk about this. I know some of you have done them, so would you mind giving me the important details/things to know? Thanks!

Last weekend, Cait and I took on another half marathon. We both completed the ING Hartford Half Marathon. MJ also got in the racing spirit and walked the 5k.

Emily and I split up during this race since she was recovering from an injury and I was going for a PR. It was during this race that I learned how much I appreciate race spectators! At every mile there was people there to cheer for both their friends and complete strangers who were running by. I credit that to helping me take 7 minutes off my PR to finish in 2:03:17.....now to chase that elusive 1:59 chip time...

I admit, I didn't take any pictures- at all. I was coming off an injury at Surftown so I was worried about that, and I was traveling with my running club from school so picture taking was one of the last things on my mind. I can assure you that the race was beautiful though. There was great scenery and fantastic weather. Part of the course ran through the beautiful rose garden in the park that I ran a 5k in during July.

The finisher medals were great as well! It was the 20th running of the race so the medals came out in color this year which was a very cool treat.

The race swag/food at the finish line was great! Tons of food and variety, the medal is beautiful and we got a ton of nice free stuff! I heard that post race food is one place Disney lacks....can anyone with rundisney experience speak for this?

HMF events are great about having lots of course photographers so even though I didn't get any pictures, Capstone took some great ones! Here are some of my favorites:

10525392096_49d4fb2458.jpg

10525609113_ea2aafffcc.jpg

10525416874_ffc5bb02af.jpg

At this point, the next major race Cait and I are training for is the GSC! This is exciting and a little nerve-wrecking. Hard to believe our first runDisney event is coming up so quick! Good thing we're already planning runDisney event #2...

Next Update

While you may not have hit that 1:59... holy cow your time was AWESOME!!! I am super impressed!!! I am just hoping to come in better in the donald than I did in the phm... (2:25) I would DIE if I had a time like yours!

Lets see.... split stay. Easy peasy. Any more you don't even need to check out. All you need to do is call bell services (or even schedule a time for them to come) They get your luggage and set it to transport to new resort. Then later in the day you just show up to check into the new resort. You will then either need to have bell services there bring your luggage to your room or you can grab it yourself from them once you have checked in.

RD after race food... yeah, not so great. I have done races where you have TONS of food ranging from bars and fruit to full pancake breakfasts. You get a box and a bananna. In the box there are some "treats"

This was from after the ToT last month

If you want me to delete the photo... just let me know. (not trying to hijack your thread. ;))

Your photo is most welcome, Ann! I'm glad you chimed in, because I know you've got lots of RD experience! I am a little disappointed in the selection, especially as someone with a nut allergy. Looks like a lot of that stuff will be a no-go for me. I sure would love it if runDisney would start offering a full pancake breakfast! :goodvibes

Isn't that time awesome?! She was hoping to break 2:10, and clearly, she blew it away! I'm hoping I can catch up to her soon!

Your photo is most welcome, Ann! I'm glad you chimed in, because I know you've got lots of RD experience! I am a little disappointed in the selection, especially as someone with a nut allergy. Looks like a lot of that stuff will be a no-go for me. I sure would love it if runDisney would start offering a full pancake breakfast! :goodvibes

Isn't that time awesome?! She was hoping to break 2:10, and clearly, she blew it away! I'm hoping I can catch up to her soon!

:rotfl2: Well, I wouldn't say I have lots of RD experience!! Just 3 races... two of which are the same only different years. They do offer the race retreats though..for extra $$. There you might get something more substantial post race. For me though.. I have my now traditional (can it be called a tradition after just three races? ;)) post race breakfast that is WAY cheaper than the race retreat. I will be sticking with that. I know my body handles it well... it is tons cheaper and I don't have to fight with any lines to get food. Down side though is I do have to wait to eat rather than immediately go inside a special tent. :rolleyes:

:rotfl2: Well, I wouldn't say I have lots of RD experience!! Just 3 races... two of which are the same only different years. They do offer the race retreats though..for extra $$. There you might get something more substantial post race. For me though.. I have my now traditional (can it be called a tradition after just three races? ;)) post race breakfast that is WAY cheaper than the race retreat. I will be sticking with that. I know my body handles it well... it is tons cheaper and I don't have to fight with any lines to get food. Down side though is I do have to wait to eat rather than immediately go inside a special tent. :rolleyes:

That's 3 more races than I've done! ;)

If this is what restaurant I think it is, then I'd say it's your tradition! I definitely don't think I'd enjoy fighting through lines/crowds to get food. I don't need a whole lot immediately post race that I couldn't wait a little bit to get back to the resort.

Congratulations on a great time Emily! I think you did awesome. :) (considering my 5K time tonight was 40 minutes - first time running in months after I broke my ankle.) I love the downtown Hartford area and have been to the park often. (One of my clients is The Hartford so I'm there a couple times a year.)

All of our Disney trips since 2010 have been split stays so we see it as easy enough that we keep doing it. Ann summarized the experience nicely. (We used to take a taxi to our new resort and take our bags with us but it is so much easier to have bell service do the luggage express and do that for us.)

Good luck with your training!

That's 3 more races than I've done! ;)

If this is what restaurant I think it is, then I'd say it's your tradition! I definitely don't think I'd enjoy fighting through lines/crowds to get food. I don't need a whole lot immediately post race that I couldn't wait a little bit to get back to the resort.

To be fair, I am not sure how much fighting one has to do at the race retreat since I have never done it. I know that those who do it...like it. I just think I prefer my own space and time to eat. Everyone has their own preference though...

This PTR has become embarrassingly out of date! I almost thought of letting it go to the wayside but I figured I would at least keep the saga up to date for when I refer back to it in our TR. Here's a summary of the past two months (eek! Can't believe its been that long):

Seeing as we added a night to save money on the flights, Cait and I had the brilliant idea to buy 5K entries for ourselves and my mom for Christmas. My mom walked the Hartford Marathon 5K and had a really fun time so we thought it would be a great experience for the four of us (R included) to do together. R is a Florida resident so she checked with work and confirmed that she'd be able to get to the expo early to pick up packets for everyone.

Sound perfect, right?

Cait and I bought the three entries right after Thanksgiving and texted R, telling her to buy her's so we'd be all set.

Just when I was thinking we had everything worked out, Cait calls one night to tell me she's got some bad news- R isn't coming anymore! As it turns out R was finally accepted to vet school (a lifelong dream of her's) and will be out of the country at her new school in February.

As fantastic as this is for R, this through a little bit of a wrench into the vacation plans. We'd already paid for our race and now had no way to get the packets in time for Friday morning.

After I adjusted all our reservations we sat down and brainstormed what we could do. We threw around a few ideas but the only thing that seemed like it would really work was moving our flights to arrive earlier on Thursday. MJ and I can't adjust our flights because of school and work but Cait could so we paid to switch her to an earlier flight so she can arrive and take care of all of our expo business.

Now that we don't need to go to the expo, we're planning on utilizing the extra time to tour lots of resorts and enjoy the Boardwalk! We've rounded out our itinerary and I'll try to share that soon.

Here's to hoping for smooth sailing for the next 60 days!

Next Post

Hi Emily and Caitlin! I'm officially on board for the PTR. I am not a runner, the most I've done is a 5K, but the Disney runs look SO fun.

UCONN?! Haha, I go to PC, and I looooove basketball, and UConn used to be our big rival...but now that we're not in the same conference, we can be friends. :cheer2:

My dad and I also were there for Marathon weekend!! We went to DHS on the day of the race and it was so cool seeing the guests run through the park.

I've never stayed at the Boardwalk but I've visited and it is beautiful!!

'Ohana is phenomenal and Wishes is also my favorite thing ever.

I loooooove Via Napoli. It's great food, and if you split pizza with people it's a good deal for a full-service! The arancini is a good appetizer too.

KONAAAAAA. I love Tonga Toast so much!

I've stayed at all the All-Stars and I think they're great! Pretty small, but they work for small groups.

Sorry your friend can't go!!! I'm glad everything got worked out though, and resort touring will be lots of fun.

SUBSCRIBED :)

Hi Emily and Caitlin! I'm officially on board for the PTR. I am not a runner, the most I've done is a 5K, but the Disney runs look SO fun.

UCONN?! Haha, I go to PC, and I looooove basketball, and UConn used to be our big rival...but now that we're not in the same conference, we can be friends. :cheer2:

My dad and I also were there for Marathon weekend!! We went to DHS on the day of the race and it was so cool seeing the guests run through the park.

I've never stayed at the Boardwalk but I've visited and it is beautiful!!

'Ohana is phenomenal and Wishes is also my favorite thing ever.

I loooooove Via Napoli. It's great food, and if you split pizza with people it's a good deal for a full-service! The arancini is a good appetizer too.

KONAAAAAA. I love Tonga Toast so much!

I've stayed at all the All-Stars and I think they're great! Pretty small, but they work for small groups.

Sorry your friend can't go!!! I'm glad everything got worked out though, and resort touring will be lots of fun.

SUBSCRIBED :)

Welcome! :wave2:

We're in the same neck of the woods!! Do you like men's, women's or both? One of my roommates loves women's and is actually from Syracuse so that makes a good laugh!

Do you have a favorite all-star? Can you even pick a favorite? I've never stayed at any (yet!) but feel like they're all strangely similar and different.

You're so well-versed in our restaurants- glad you're giving them the seal of approval! :rotfl2:

Welcome! :wave2:

We're in the same neck of the woods!! Do you like men's, women's or both? One of my roommates loves women's and is actually from Syracuse so that makes a good laugh!

Do you have a favorite all-star? Can you even pick a favorite? I've never stayed at any (yet!) but feel like they're all strangely similar and different.

You're so well-versed in our restaurants- glad you're giving them the seal of approval! :rotfl2:

I am a men's basketball fan! I have season tickets and it's definitely my favorite thing about my school :thumbsup2 Yeah, my roommate is from Connecticut so she really liked UConn before she got to PC so that made for a lot of conflict back when we were in the same conference...

My favorite is probably Movies because of the Toy Story section, then Music, and then Sports. Sports has a huge advantage of being the first bus to drop off/pick up when all the resorts use the same bus, though!

You definitely made some good picks :thumbsup2 some of my absolute favorites!!

I am a men's basketball fan! I have season tickets and it's definitely my favorite thing about my school :thumbsup2 Yeah, my roommate is from Connecticut so she really liked UConn before she got to PC so that made for a lot of conflict back when we were in the same conference...

My favorite is probably Movies because of the Toy Story section, then Music, and then Sports. Sports has a huge advantage of being the first bus to drop off/pick up when all the resorts use the same bus, though!

You definitely made some good picks :thumbsup2 some of my absolute favorites!!

Hahaha, that's awesome. I'm not a huge basketball person but I usually go to a game or two. It's huge on our campus so it's hard not to partake a little bit!

Ugh, the Toy Story section looks awesome! We're starting to put together an October trip for MNSSHP and I want to stay in that section at movies because we're going to dress up as Buzz and Woody!

As much as it can stink when plans have to change.... all you can do is brain storm and figure out a new plan. Sounds like you solved your expo issues really well.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that the next couple months go smoothly!!!

As much as it can stink when plans have to change.... all you can do is brain storm and figure out a new plan. Sounds like you solved your expo issues really well.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that the next couple months go smoothly!!!

It was frustrating to scramble a little but now that everything is settled I think it's worked out really well!

MJ absolutely loved her present!!!! Woooo! Sucess!

I don't remember if I said this in my last update, but she was getting really frustrated that Cait and I kept rearranging the plans without telling her why. As promised, as was revealed Christmas morning and she's very excited to earn a little Disney bling.

MJ and I finally purchased our park tickets and linked them to our MDE account so once Cait gets hers we can tackled our FP+ selections. One thing I learned in this endevor is that you apparently cannot use multiple giftcards to pay for park tickets anywhere but the ticket windows in the park...so that was a pain seeing as I got multiple giftcards to cover the balance for Christmas :confused3 In the end, all worked out and that's definitely going to be a good thing to know going forward!

Next Post

You guys are getting pretty close. Hope you feel excited and ready to run in all that fun!!!

You should be able to pay with gift cards, but would need to do more than one transaction to do so.

You guys are getting pretty close. Hope you feel excited and ready to run in all that fun!!!

You should be able to pay with gift cards, but would need to do more than one transaction to do so.

Do you call or try to pay online to do that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter