I won my bid on Priceline and got Alamo, how are they ?

Lewis, you are correct I did not do my homework on Priceline, this is the first time I've ever used them. The amount of the taxes and fees were shown to me before I accepted, what I didn't know then and what I know now is I'm unable to see a breakdown of what makes up this amount. When I see a link that says details, I expect to see details...every car rental place shows the breakdown.

Where was it made clear to me that Priceline keeps the excess amount ? I assumed they made their money from the supplier, not the booker, my mistake, they won't ever get my money again.

If that were the case, no supplier would use them. BTW, hotwire works the same way. As I said, for the breakdown, go to Alamo.com Click on view, enter your reservation confirmation number and your last name and your reservation will pop up with a complete breakdown of costs and a total. You can then subtract what you paid priceline from that amount and see what Priceline made on the deal. You can even print it for your records.

Lewis, you are correct I did not do my homework on Priceline, this is the first time I've ever used them. The amount of the taxes and fees were shown to me before I accepted, what I didn't know then and what I know now is I'm unable to see a breakdown of what makes up this amount. When I see a link that says details, I expect to see details...every car rental place shows the breakdown.

Where was it made clear to me that Priceline keeps the excess amount ? I assumed they made their money from the supplier, not the booker, my mistake, they won't ever get my money again.

Why would you expect that? Before you bid you're the exact total of taxes and fees. It lists the types of fees which are included and specifically states a PL fee is one of those fees.
charge for Taxes and Fees (an amount that will always be disclosed to you before you elect to proceed). This charge includes an amount to recover the amount we pay to the rental car supplier in connection with your reservation for taxes, fees and surcharges owed by the rental car supplier including, without limitation, sales and use tax, excise tax, value added tax, airport or facility taxes, surcharges or fees and/or other similar taxes, surcharges or fees. The amount of this charge is intended by us to be sufficient to cover the maximum amount we may be required to pay to a rental car supplier, and may be greater or less than the amount we actually pay the rental car supplier in connection with your reservation for taxes, fees and surcharges. The balance of the charge for Taxes and Fees is a fee which we retain as part of the compensation for our services and to cover the costs of your reservation, including, for example, customer service costs and additional fees which may be charged from time to time by the rental car suppliers. The charge for Taxes and Fees varies based on a number of factors, including, without limitation, the amount you pay to priceline.com and the location at which you will pick-up your car from the rental car supplier.
If that were the case, no supplier would use them. BTW, hotwire works the same way. As I said, for the breakdown, go to Alamo.com Click on view, enter your reservation confirmation number and your last name and your reservation will pop up with a complete breakdown of costs and a total. You can then subtract what you paid priceline from that amount and see what Priceline made on the deal. You can even print it for your records.

PL makes money from any "overbids" and from the fee which is included in the taxes number. Some people think PL may also get commission, similar to the comission paid sites like Expeida and Travelocity.

Why would you expect that? Before you bid you're the exact total of taxes and fees. It lists the types of fees which are included and specifically states a PL fee is one of those fees.

PL makes money from any "overbids" and from the fee which is included in the taxes number. Some people think PL may also get commission, similar to the comission paid sites like Expeida and Travelocity.

Good point Lewis. I don't use these services, so, I really have no knowledge of how they work. I prefer to go directly to the source or use a live travel agent when/if necesssary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!