I went to Aldi's today- Wow!

anabelle

Did I say that out loud?
We have been trying to cut down on our food expenses lately. I have been reading all the info on Aldi, so I decided to try it. It is much better than I remember when I was kid. I remember it being so dirty. I bought an entire cart full of food for $80. I am so impressed with the selection and they take debit cards. Now I hope the quality is as good as everyone says. So far everything is great. Thanks everyone for the info.

I'm headed to Aldi's tomorrow.. There's some items I won't buy anyplace BUT Aldi's! :flower: And the savings? Well - you know what I'm talking about.. :)

Can anyone tell me more about it? Do they have name brand foods, or mostly generic brands? Do they have a large selection of foods/produce, or just the basics? Thanks!

They are a mostly generic store, although the do occasionally get name brand things on special. They have a wide selection of products, but not as much as a conventional grocery store. I usually shop there, then go to a regular grocery store for "special" stuff like herbs or fresh baked bread. I have found their prices to be consistantly cheaper then regular retail, even with coupons. I've tried "the grocery game", and the prices rarely beat Aldi. Some examples- last week they had diapers (NORMALLY only 4.99) BYGO. So I got 22ct dapers for $2.50 each. The week before they had roses at 3.99 for 6, BYGO. So a dozen roses for $3.99. Regular cereal price at Aldi is $1.69 a box. Their stores are less convenient and less attractive (you have to bag your own stuff), but for me its a $50 or more savings each week.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind. We tried a store like that and just weren't too impressed with the limited selections. I have no issues with generic brands, and buy them whenever possible but something about the limited selections really botherss me. I guess I like my options... :rolleyes:

To me, Aldi is not a store where I could do all my grocery shopping, but it is a great supplement.

I mostly buy produce, usually good quality at excellent prices, especially on things like grape tomatoes, bagged salad, onions, baby carrots, and cucumbers. They don't carry things like jicima and kumquats.

It is definitely a store that you use in conjunction with your favorite large grocery store. I pretty much expect to by my fresh meat and cleaning products at Sam's Club, basic stuff at Aldi's and tolietries at Target

How is the quality of thier generic brands? I am accustomed to buying the store brand at my favorite store (Wegman's) so store brands don't frighten me. But I always worry about buying unknown brands like they have at the Dollar Tree. Is Aldi's like that, or are the brands OK?

I just did a shopping trip at ALDI's and was very impressed. I got almost a cart full of stuff for about $35. They had precut bagged lettuce for like .89, DH loves that stuff and pays close to $3-4 at reg grocery stores. I also picked up some meat to freeze that looks just as good as the stuff at the reg. store.

The Aldi's Peanut Butter crunch kids cereal is the best I have found, even compared to name brand peanut butter cereals. I get all of my basics at Aldi's. The things I usually get from Aldi are cereal, milk, eggs, butter, flour, sugar, baking items, canned vegetables, ice cream treats, crackers, produce (my store usually has a very limited selection of produce), french bread pizzas, fruit snacks, cheese, tortillas, lunch meat etc. A co-worker swears that Aldi has the best marinated artichoke hearts (in a jar), but that is something I haven't tried. I hate to have to get these items anywhere else, because they are so inexpensive at Aldi. I also like to check out their ads to see what kind of special items they have on sale that week other than food. I got a great deal on a Haier 6000 btu window air conditioner earlier this year at Aldi ($79.00).

marcyinPA said:
How is the quality of thier generic brands?

We've enjoyed everything we've gotten at Aldi so far. I have cut my grocery bill way down.

My family loves their bagels, will only drink Aldi apple juice, only want Aldi "Cocoa Pebbles" - it's actually called Cocoa Rice. I buy their dish soap, dishwasher detergent, ziploc bags, baking products. I can not believe the money I have saved.

I do still go to the major shopping chains if the have deals on name brand products that we use, but for staples I'm an Aldi gal! :sunny:

I know what everyone means about the Aldi's savings. I normally only go to the "normal" grocery store for meat. Like ground hamburger or chicken or steaks. I have tried the aldi's and save-a-lot stuff and i don't like it nearly as much.

Do not buy Aldi hot dogs! Blech! They were 59 cents and just ick.

I like their ground beef, though.

Our Aldi is very limited with things I regularly buy. Low fat/Low sugar things, we did try some off brand Crystal Light and it was okay. I have bought produce as well.

I am a true Aldi's convert. My DD and DSIL shop Aldi's all the time, and swear by the savings. I started to try some of the items they had, and whether it was bread, staples like milk, oj, sour cream, bacon, butter, eggs, etc or Spiral sliced hams, frozen items, pizza , canned vegies (like carrots & beans for .33 a can)- all were extremely good. Even my DH who was raised on "name brand" items is a believer. It is worth the trip, bring bags, or boxes with you - or you can purchase them at the store. I try to go twice a month to stock up. Once you get used to Aldi's you will feel guilty going to regular stores... I figure this is a way to save more for my Disney trips :cool1:

No one in my house cares for Aldi's. Everything just tastes a litle off to us. We have tried it several different times over the past couple of years. Things like pretzels, snack cakes, and staples such as sugar and flour seem OK, but not worth it to me to make another trip to a grocery store. I have had very good luck with Walmart brand food and prices on brand name food at Walmart. Still have to go to the regular grocery store for meat and produce.

Lots of people like it - so I would give it a try, buy a few of your family's favorite things and see if they like the Aldis' brand. If not you did not lose out a whole lot a money.

bluedoggy said:
I started to try some of the items they had, and whether it was bread, staples like milk, oj, sour cream, bacon, butter, eggs, etc or Spiral sliced hams, frozen items, pizza , canned vegies (like carrots & beans for .33 a can)- all were extremely good.

I forgot about the OJ - I always buy my OJ there now - it was $1.69 for 1/2 gallon (not from concentrate). I think it may be $1.89 now, but it is still less expensive than Tropicana.

I love their strawberry cream cheese too. Dinner biscuits are good & so are their cinnamon rolls. My DD's love when I cut a few packages up & bake them in a bundt pan to make "pull apart bread"!

I actually have to stop there tomorrow after taking DD to ballet class. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!